Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

F Sport AVS diagnostic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 10:45 PM
Bendaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F Sport AVS diagnostic?

Hello all, many thanks for the informative posts!

Now to my question: is there a simple DIY way I can check to see if there are any issues with the AVS system on my 2013 GS F Sport?

Background: My car was sitting in the garage for ~3 weeks while I was on vacation. First drive after I returned, the ride was extremely harsh, through the entire structure as well as steering wheel. I could see the steering wheel shake up and down. Granted, it may have been a jet-lagged induced hallucination.

Gradually, the issue seems to have gone away, but the ride is still harsher than I remember. I notice more of the road imperfections than I remember from before vacation. I've tried switching from Sport to Sport+ and back and I can't tell much difference from the ride quality between the two settings.

Which leads me to wonder, is the AVS stuck in Sport+ even when I set it otherwise? Or, am I being paranoid and should remind myself that 1) F Sport by default has a stiff ride and 2) NorCal roads smooth enough that ride quality between Sport vs. Sport+ isn't that different?

Any way to diagnose this on my own without relying just on my butt? And no, I don't know anyone else with a 4th gen GS F Sport. And I'd rather not go to the dealer if they will charge me for a diagnosis where nothing is wrong, even if I only have 40K miles on it..

Thanks everyone for reading.
Old 11-25-14, 10:40 AM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would check the tire pressure first. I noticed after long drives and letting my car sit over night or sometimes even a day or two, my tires seem to develop a small flat spot. When I first start driving I can feel a little vibration especially at higher speeds, but after 10 min. or so after they warm up its smooth as silk. That may have been the cause of the steering wheel shake and possible harsh ride. I'm not an expert at any of this, just things I have noticed with my car and tires. I did talk to a tire shop and he said what I experienced is not uncommon with higher performance tires. Go drive your car for a bit and see if that helps.
Old 11-25-14, 01:57 PM
Bendaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do, thanks for the tip!