Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD 2015 F-Sport --Tanabe or RS-R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 09:32 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts
Default AWD 2015 F-Sport --Tanabe or RS-R?

I get it there is allot of results and discussion on my search here on these 2 brands of lowering springs but 99% of the threads are for RWD GS models but little on AWD. So below are my questions for those AWD owners with either of these 2 lowering spring options/brands. As this will be my next 'mod' and want to close that AWD gap but without making it a harsher ride if possible and don't want to go with coil-overs. From what I understand and read majority of folks seem to prefer the ride of the RS-R over time compared to the Tanabe springs. Is that a true assessment? I know this topic is subjective but I'd like to hear from actual AWD owners with any of these spring lowering kits. Or perhaps there are other brand options out there?

Thank you and look forward to healthy discussions and opinions.

1. Does Tanabe even make lowering springs for AWD 2015 F-Sport models? According to their site they don't, only for RWD models?

2. For those R-SR lowering springs owners on AWD, Which of these 2 options do you prefer and why? Besides the obvious on the Super Down's is there a major ride difference between the 'regular' and SD's? Have any of you gone from either or brand and prefer one of the other?
Old 05-22-19, 10:04 AM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Great topic. Probably going to hold off on this type of mod until my shocks need to be replaced, but curious to see how other AWD owners respond. An inch or so drop would be better aesthetically but also don't want to compromise on ride quality.
Old 05-22-19, 10:36 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Both are very popular.. I'd say RSR is more popular.

People do run the regular RWD springs on their AWD.

RSR downs are good springs, the super downs drop the car a lot.

Contact us for pricing or with more questions!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
Chavez562 (06-18-19)
Old 05-22-19, 06:48 PM
Schimmy
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm currently running Tanabe NF210s on my 13' AWD. The drop is very nice.
I believe I put them on my car at around 75k miles, and now i'm nearing 85k miles.
Only issue I had was bouncy-ness after like 2-3k miles, but that issue went away on it's own. Did not know what happened.
The car rides stiffer than OEM, but I'm ok with that because it gives a sporty feeling.
Only problem I have so far is wanting to go lower, I'm looking at coilovers or bags because I do want to go lower, but the tanabe are at a great height for drivability.
Old 05-23-19, 03:19 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mjo13
Great topic. Probably going to hold off on this type of mod until my shocks need to be replaced, but curious to see how other AWD owners respond. An inch or so drop would be better aesthetically but also don't want to compromise on ride quality.
I've noticed a lot of people's shocks going out prematurely (~30k-50k miles).

Is this a common problem with our cars? Any way to really remedy it?

I have an extended warranty until next May, so hopefully if it goes out, it'll go out within that time period.
Old 05-23-19, 06:05 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe Swift is another option. Any other brands that do AWD? H&R? Eibach?
Old 05-24-19, 01:08 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I started with the Super Downs and ended up switching to Tanabe. After a year of use though even the Tanabes are a little too low. I've heard Swift are better if you don't want a crazy drop so I'll be giving those a try next.
Old 05-24-19, 04:37 PM
barrycarey
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DiezDos
I started with the Super Downs and ended up switching to Tanabe. After a year of use though even the Tanabes are a little too low. I've heard Swift are better if you don't want a crazy drop so I'll be giving those a try next.
How about vibrations? I want to pull the trigger on springs but I've read about it causing drive train vibrations with AWD.
Old 05-29-19, 11:25 AM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by barrycarey
How about vibrations? I want to pull the trigger on springs but I've read about it causing drive train vibrations with AWD.
None that I can really notice. Then again I've always been used to a pretty rough ride. But in all honesty I couldn't tell a difference other than a positive one. A lot of fun driving it around especially on Sport +. Add the RR racing LCA bushings and you will be very happy.
Old 05-29-19, 12:02 PM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 14 AWD on RSR downs. I've been pretty happy with them for the last 2 years. I drive my car a lot. Im at 101k right now. Don't know about any drivetrain vibrations. I have 20's offset in my car as well.

Good luck with your choice
The following users liked this post:
Jahbez (12-10-19)
Old 05-29-19, 04:08 PM
Dom87SS
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm AWD on RSR super downs and have put about 27k miles on them in the last year. It's advertised as about 2.5" drop, my car was closer to 3" drop. No vibrations from drivetrain, no rubbing in rear, front rubbed a little in the wheel liner in a spot about 3"x3" nothing that concerned me though.
If you have a SK style lip you WILL scrap it more than you think. The ride is considerably rougher than stock.which I didn't really mind at first, but got old after a while for me and have now bought coil overs. Took this pic last night and this is with the RSRs.

Old 05-30-19, 10:17 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
I've noticed a lot of people's shocks going out prematurely (~30k-50k miles).

Is this a common problem with our cars? Any way to really remedy it?

I have an extended warranty until next May, so hopefully if it goes out, it'll go out within that time period.
I have seen this too, there is this seeming correlation between lowered cars and effed up dampers/shocks. It's hard to tell if "correlation" is actually meaningful, though.
Old 05-30-19, 10:21 AM
Dom87SS
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 84 Posts

My rear shocks went out a few more than after installing the super downs. They had probably close to 80k miles on them but I assume the lowering didn't help.
Old 05-30-19, 01:54 PM
LexinOnEm
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Both are very popular.. I'd say RSR is more popular.

People do run the regular RWD springs on their AWD.

RSR downs are good springs, the super downs drop the car a lot.

Contact us for pricing or with more questions!

-Josh
so rsr super for 13-15 rwd can fit the awd? someone was selling a 16+ awd springs and state they fit 13-15. do you have any info on this.
Old 06-01-19, 08:34 PM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the RSR superdowns back in early march i think. I like it a lot. Like dom, it dropped my ride about 2.8-3” which is perfect bc with spacers the tires sit near flush with the fenders. Getting an SK lip here soon which i imagine i’m going to scrape the hell out of on my driveway but the aesthetic will be worth it.

For ride quality, yes there’s a difference. It definitely rides a little stiffer than the car does in Sport+ mode. I only rub if i cut the wheels all the way or on dips in the pavement but the latter isn’t so noticeable. I love the look and the ride because it feels so much sportier and looks SO much better. A couple local friends of mine with GS, RCF, IS, you name it have tried seemingly all of the coilover + spring combos you can think of and they all agree that the ride is rougher than it was with the RSR superdowns. So it really just depends how YOU want the ride to feel.

Quick Reply: AWD 2015 F-Sport --Tanabe or RS-R?