Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

2013 GS350 Suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19 | 06:10 AM
xroots
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 GS350 Suspension issues

Hey guys, i' am new to the forum and really enjoying reading all the posts around here.
A few months ago i got my accord V6(been a Honda junkie for quite a few years) totaled and decided to go for a used 2013 gs350 RWD and i found one in mint condition with only 26k miles on it.
Everything was in perfect condition with the exception of a front shock which was leaking bad.
So i decided to change the front shocks and went with the genuine ones from my local Lexus dealer. I gave them the part number that i saw on one of the shocks which was 48520-30470 and they told me that they didn't have those anymore and they had a replacement part number which was 48520-80284. I got both front shocks and proceeded to install them.
Anyways, when i first drove my gs350 before buying it i loved how stiff it was (i like harsh rides heh) but since i changed the shocks i feel like that stiffness is gone, its not terribly soft but i feel it kinda little bit floaty and really not liking how its riding right now.
I tried to find the KYB replacement before going for the genuine ones but i couldn't find them here (I live in Peru).

What i am wondering is if i got a wrong part number by the delaer that isn't supposed to be installed on my lexus ? Kinda pissed cause they were kinda expensive.

Also noticed, right when i installed the new shocks that the front suspension height went up a little bit, i thought maybe the rear suspension need new shocks to compensate the new shocks front height, not sure anymore to be honest.

Any help will very much appreciated, thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-15-19 | 06:25 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Looked up both parts: 48520-80284 appears to be the correct replacement, but it has also been replaced by 48520-80374.
Old 11-15-19 | 06:28 AM
xroots
Driver School Candidate

I saw that replacement part number you pointed on the web as well, had me wondering if those are the stiffer ones ..... gosh...i have a bad feeling....

Last edited by xroots; 11-15-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-15-19 | 09:48 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

In my opinion and experience, the car should never have a stiff or harsh ride unless you have a F-Sport or Lux Package with AVS (variable dampening suspension). I think you are just now feeling the way the ride is supposed to be.
The following users liked this post:
yelloiroc (01-19-20)
Old 11-15-19 | 10:06 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by mrplesh
In my opinion and experience, the car should never have a stiff or harsh ride unless you have a F-Sport or Lux Package with AVS (variable dampening suspension). I think you are just now feeling the way the ride is supposed to be.
This and the car you drove probably had their tires over inflated. Push it up to 40PSI and you can feel the difference.
Old 11-15-19 | 10:52 AM
xroots
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrplesh
Originally Posted by praetor
This and the car you drove probably had their tires over inflated. Push it up to 40PSI and you can feel the difference.
I am probably gonna differ with you guys, i am a bit of a mechanic for 20+ years and i know the feel when a tire is over inflated (i roll them at 33psi each) and also i have driven GS and IS's before from friends and the ride was definitely stiffer than what i have now after the shocks replacement, for some reason i have a feeling that the replacemente lexus sold me are a softer one as there are 2 part numbers replacements for the front suspension.
What really caught my attention was a post in this forum from a guy named Peterharvey and he said this:

The 2013-15 dampers may be firmer than your 2016-19 dampers, because the 2016-19 were deliberately made softer and quieter since the original 4GS was too firm and sporty.

The KYB aftermarket dampers are likely to be as stiff as your original, if not - even stiffer, because it is easy to firm up a suspension, but more dangerous to make a vehicle floatier, because this compromizes the handling.
There won't be too many aftermarket damper suppliers game enough to invest large sums of money into developing and testing softer dampers for your model.
Hence, rarely are aftermarket springs, dampers and roll bars softer than OEM components.

So im trying to figure out if there is actually any difference between the shocks i got which are the 48520-80284 or the second alternative which was the 48520-80374

would be a blast if anyone know if there is a difference because its kinda driving me nuts, im about to go back to the old shocks lol, im gonna drop some pics of the car, does the front height to the ground look ok to you guys ?

thanks again for all the replies