Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

installed: UR/Toms front/rear upper/lower chassis bracing - pics and review

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 07:59 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Received 200 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Thanks for the link!

Damn!! That splitter is less expensive and its still $750?? LOL
Didn't know it was CF, thought it was just regular plastic and thus much cheaper.

Yeah that makes much more sense honestly. The AVS compatible coilovers are what, ~$2K?

After everything including shipping, the original buyer paid around $1,300 for the lip I have and yeah its just plastic. I talked to the guy at Top End Motorsports and he was surprised that the one I linked you to was only $750 for CF since most start at around $900 and up. I've looked to find pictures of it installed on a car and have never found any. I like that one a lot too.

I think retail for the RSR AVS compatible coilovers is around $2,100. Yeah, if you're gonna pay around $1,000 for parts and install and you think you'll be doing coilovers later anyway.. if you can, just do it now.

The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (09-30-22)
Old 10-01-22, 02:54 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

i heard the rear sway bar you need to drop the whole rear sub frame to install it is that correct? and how do the adjustable sway bar works never had one that is adjustable so dont know much about it.
Old 10-01-22, 11:56 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by richard203
i heard the rear sway bar you need to drop the whole rear sub frame to install it is that correct? and how do the adjustable sway bar works never had one that is adjustable so dont know much about it.
Yeah that is correct. The install was completed by a shop in about 5 hours. Essentially instead of just one hole at the end of the bar there are multiple holes in a row. The GS bars has 2 holes, I've seen some with 4 holes. The outermost hole has the least tension and the further in you move it increases the rear stiffness. I put a pic below so you can see what it looks like, this is just a random pic. What it ended up doing is removing a TON of body roll so the car doesn't lean and the cornering now is very flat. It helps the rear rotate also eliminating understeer. It is possible generally to go too stiff and you can make the car have oversteer where the rear end starts sliding out.

We have only like 2 options for bars to choose from and the main one thats available to us that I got caused me some problems, BUT we were able to trouble shoot it and get it installed and it made a big difference. The problem wit the super pro bar was that it was longer than the stock piece and with my height adjustable coilovers, it was contacting the suspension. The shop cut off the outside hole and installed the bar on the tighter setting and thankfully the stiffer setting worked perfectly, it feels GOOD! I made a whole thread about it the other day because I dont think one exists for someone installing a rear sway bar on the 4gs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nd-review.html

Old 10-01-22, 02:46 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I went ahead and ordered the GS F/RC F bushings, found them for $89 on eBay compared to $360 for the Figs. Don't know if the Figs are that much better for 4x the price
Old 10-01-22, 04:46 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

I went ahead and ordered the GS F/RC F bushings, found them for $89 on eBay compared to $360 for the Figs. Don't know if the Figs are that much better for 4x the price
Nice! You should feel an upgrade. They are better because even people with the F cars upgrade to figs bushings. I don’t think factory even for the F is as firm as an aftermarket polyurethane part. $89 for those is a deal though, I used to see them for $150
Old 10-02-22, 02:57 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

so if i have aftermarket strut and spring i have to cut the sway bar too? or just aftermarket coilover? this suspension is what im thinking to buy

https://www.rhdjapan.com/kyb-extage-...grl11-avs.html
Old 10-02-22, 10:55 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by richard203
so if i have aftermarket strut and spring i have to cut the sway bar too? or just aftermarket coilover? this suspension is what im thinking to buy

https://www.rhdjapan.com/kyb-extage-...grl11-avs.html
I think with what you have there you should be ok. The bar was just barely making contact with my shocks and mine appear to be thicker than the parts in your link. I think its only with a ride height adjustable unit. On the slim chance you do run into that issue you'll know that you can cut it, it will work, and the inside hole performs good, but I dont think you will encounter that problem with the parts you want.

Look at the width at the base of the shock/struts.. this is what I have. I even googled the Tein Flax AVS and it appears thicker than stock too

Old 10-03-22, 10:02 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Thoughts on CKS vs RSR Best Active? @jdpdata has said that RSR is still too soft.

CKS are true coilovers and you can get them with Swift Springs.
Old 10-03-22, 11:21 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Thoughts on CKS vs RSR Best Active? @jdpdata has said that RSR is still too soft.

CKS are true coilovers and you can get them with Swift Springs.
I read his review AFTER I wrote the stuff below - This is in response to his review. I have about 1 finger between the fender and tire, I dont scrape on anything nor do I bottom out. At highway speeds I have been over a few big dips and only then I've had the front left tire rub the fender liner, but doesnt bottom out. Most freeways and roads dont have huge bumps like that so it only happens once or twice every few months. He even said he didnt take the time to dial them in which I would take into account, he could have been slammed, on a crazy offset making it scrape or rub, or on a super soft setting. I would not take his review as a very informed one, It really sounds like that guy was very slammed saying that he rubs the liners literally everywhere. My wheel/tire set up is flush, I'm low but not slammed and it doesnt scrape, rub or impact the drivability. That front has rubbed on larger than usual highway dips but it is a rare situation.. there arent any negatives I can say about daily driving on these coilovers.

The first two coilovers I tried were CKS/swift and then RR Racing, both true coilover configuration and non AVS. The CKS came with a divorced rear setup and I didnt know until the install because I didnt check the box. It was making a lot of noise from the suspension and obviously since I paid for a true coilover I was able to return it for a full refund. I wasnt able to get a legit feel for what it was capable of because I got the wrong parts in my box, BUT I do know a lot of people love them and you can get custom spring rates.. Also swift springs are legit. The RR was just terrible, It arrived with all the right parts and was installed properly but it slammed on every imperfection in the road and bounced so much I felt like an idiot in the car. The other thing I noticed is that it also made noises... a true coilover and non AVS. So I went to the RSR, I wanted it with the AVS hooked up and as factory operational as possible. Same person installed all three sets of coilovers for me btw and sets up lots of track cars, the RSR with AVS makes zero noises and while you can get setups with stiffer rates it still allows me to rip (as much as a GS can) in the canyons and then drive comfortably. All that to say, I was very impressed with how well the RSR handles and is still compliant..and doesnt make any noises.

In the end I was happy I kept factory systems plugged in, no noise and still rips corners hard enough to put a smile on my face. It was an enormous enormous improvement over springs on stock shocks... can you go stiffer..yes. If you had to best bet is CKS/swift.

my ride height and fitment with no issues on the drivability of the RSR

Last edited by SBPhoto; 10-03-22 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (10-03-22)
Old 10-10-22, 05:43 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

All the AWD owners like me feeling cheated and abused...we get no love on these suspension chassis mods man...lmao
Old 10-10-22, 09:57 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Asav
All the AWD owners like me feeling cheated and abused...we get no love on these suspension chassis mods man...lmao
Thats rough because I feel that is even bad for the RWD cars, the 4gs just doesn't get a lot of aftermarket love. You're definitely in the more unsupported group