Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

installed: UR/Toms front/rear upper/lower chassis bracing - pics and review

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-20, 10:44 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Received 194 Likes on 73 Posts
Default installed: UR/Toms front/rear upper/lower chassis bracing - pics and review

I've always been a fan of a great handling car. I had a friend growing up who would buy every bar he could get his hands on for his EK Civic hatchback, I could not keep up with him in the hills with my Honda Prelude only dropped on Eibachs. I've only had the GS F-Sport 3 months and even in stock form was so happy with the way it handled. Having been passenger in braced street cars and track cars on road courses, I know what bracing can add and knew it could be even better. Honestly for the price in my opinion, you can't beat the performance for the $ if you really love driving the car. I went to Evasive motorsports today and they installed almost all of what Ultra Racing offers for our cars. My last visit there, they installed Swift springs and the front upper strut bar. Today they added a 4 point front subframe brace, 3 point front/mid sub frame brace, and 2 point rear subframe brace, UR for some reason doesn't make a rear upper strut bar so I got the Toms bar from Evasive. All the UR parts I ordered from their site and I was lucky enough to get the parts both times in under a week. That makes 13 points total strengthened with the bracing and let me tell you, it makes an enormous difference.. including the springs. About that also, I did a lot of reading on all the springs available for the GS. I wanted to close the fender gap a little, not have issues with height, and improve handling. The swift seemed like the best bet. One person stated that he changed his RSR downs for Swift and loved the difference in ride quality, that helped sell me. The only complaint I've heard about Swift is it isn't low enough.. for me that was a non issue. The price of all those bars was around $1,100 before tax and install.. considering you can buy a GSF spoiler for $1,300 and your car won't drive any better, to me this is money well spent. The GS felt pretty well balanced with handling in its stock form, so thats why I did front and rear bracing. I believe if you have either a lot of understeer or oversteer, you can balance it out with either bracing the front only or rear only to help reduce these characteristics.

Ok for the driving feel... Honestly it feels like the car is on rails, thats the most plain and simple way to put it. There is so little flex or roll while cornering it feels outstanding, like its in a whole new class of performance. You could say its go-kart like. Call me crazy but the car even feels stiffer while moving in a straight line. I'm thinking because of all the horizontal bracing reduces side to side chassis flex while driving over uneven road surfaces. I wasn't sure how much or how little the upgrades would make a difference, I am beyond happy with what its done for the driving feel. I would have added the UR tie bars front and rear but I have the heat shield in the rear that would have to be modified to install and I didn't want to do that. I would absolutely recommend these upgrades if you really want to take the handling to the next level!

Sitting on Swift springs in front of Evasive Motorsports. I spy Evasive4GS!

4 point front and 3 point front/mid subframe bars

rear 2 point subframe bar and the Borla axle back

front upper

Toms rear upper and a clean install!

Heavy *** stock parts removed!!!

Last edited by SBPhoto; 12-11-20 at 10:54 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by SBPhoto:
greys0uled (09-29-22), GS350BEN (03-14-21), Meraki Autoworks (12-12-20), taniner (06-02-21), thisguy_06 (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 10:51 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice upgrades! Have you noticed anything as far as noise/vibration/harshness is concerned?

I'm highly considering ordering the front strut bar as a starting point.
Old 12-17-20, 01:40 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
Nice upgrades! Have you noticed anything as far as noise/vibration/harshness is concerned?

I'm highly considering ordering the front strut bar as a starting point.

Thanks!! No noise or vibrations from the bars or springs. I have experienced SLIGHT rough ride from the swift springs but only in Sport + on bad roads.. like bumps or holes in the road. When on regular roads it feels like it could be factory. The parts are quality, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Much more of an agile, nimble feeling.
Old 05-03-21, 01:15 PM
Castle4150
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@SBPhoto I am looking into getting same Ultra Racing parts you did and this might be a dumb or noob question but did they put back the plastic undercarriage/splash guards after installation? wondering if that all still fits properly.
Also how hard is it to get to the oil filer with that 4 point sub-frame brace installed?
Old 05-28-21, 09:51 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Castle4150
@SBPhoto I am looking into getting same Ultra Racing parts you did and this might be a dumb or noob question but did they put back the plastic undercarriage/splash guards after installation? wondering if that all still fits properly.
Also how hard is it to get to the oil filer with that 4 point sub-frame brace installed?

Yo, just seeing your reply now! I never looked under the car beside in these pictures from getting the parts installed, so that is how the car is sitting after the install was finished. I believe everything fit back as it was before because anything they removed was given back to me.. and that was only the heavy factory triangular brace. Also for my maintenance, I go to the Lexus dealership. I've had 2 oil changes so far since installing those parts and no comments about trouble accessing any particular area, so all seems to be good. I hope that info along with the pictures help!
Old 05-30-21, 07:51 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Castle4150

Hey actually I stuck my phone/camera under the car yesterday and the front splash guard/flat panel is covering the front 4 pt brace.
Old 05-30-21, 11:50 PM
Castle4150
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for replying and giving me more info. I'll probably be looking into making the UR purchase in the next few months
Old 06-05-21, 08:18 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Stuff looks great but it also looks like oil filter changes will suck.
Old 09-29-22, 08:21 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

@SBPhoto I am so interested in this, I'm chasing handling now. I'm thinking about ordering the GS F LCA bushings, I would like to go figs, but I've heard they require lubrication, and they cost more, are they worth it over GS F bushings?

Have you had a chance to drive an IS F or GS F? I'm wondering if someone can attest to how these upgrades would compare to the way those handle, and if it's possible to match or even surpass the handling of those two.
Old 09-29-22, 10:08 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by greys0uled
@SBPhoto I am so interested in this, I'm chasing handling now. I'm thinking about ordering the GS F LCA bushings, I would like to go figs, but I've heard they require lubrication, and they cost more, are they worth it over GS F bushings?

Have you had a chance to drive an IS F or GS F? I'm wondering if someone can attest to how these upgrades would compare to the way those handle, and if it's possible to match or even surpass the handling of those two.
Yo! Since this post I've added a lot more parts. I did get the figs bushings in the bracket and as far as I know they don't need any maintenance. If you want the best result I'd go figs because the GSF bushings are an upgrade for us, BUT the GSF guys ditch theirs for figs so thats the top performer. I did love the result of that mod too. I swapped to RSR best coilovers from my swift springs, added Ultra Racing front lower tie bar, exhaust tunnel brace, and the Super Pro adjustable rear sway bar (which was an enormous improvement), and much lighter wheels. The handling is really excellent now.

I got a ride in an RCF through the canyon, it was stock and I was very impressed obviously by the power and the handling too. Previous to my rear sway bar install, I could not keep up with him in the corners..this guy was also a little on the wild side and I like to drive hard but lean toward the safer side. I haven't been back up with him or another F car since that last mod. After my rear sway bar install I was in the mountains and I passed a train of cars waiting to pull out behind me and it was like "ah crap, they're gonna get on my ***". It was an M2 leading, AMG GT, M8, and Taycan. Somehow it never got to the point where they were even 4-5 car lengths behind me, still saw them in the rear view but not close to me at all where I would feel pressured to pull over. Faster cars will catch up to me and get semi close and I'll always hit the next turnout to let them go, but that didn't happen this day. When we got to the point where everyone parks and meets, the M2 driver came right up to me and said "dude you were hauling ***!" then asked if this was the GSF! I said no its only the 350 with a good amount of suspension work! It was pretty nice to see that whole group with high end cars look at mine and think its cool.

I also did test drive an RCF but only on some city streets and highway. Since I'm on coilovers, the LCA bushings and with the bracing, my car feels a lot more responsive than the stock RCF. I didn't get to take it to the hills for that kind of comparison where it was beating me before but on the streets the handling stock and ride quality felt slow and a but mushy.

Here is my latest youtube upload of some mountain driving, switch it to 1080 HD.. I wasn't all out blazing up there just making it fun. And a few current car pics below

Last edited by SBPhoto; 09-29-22 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-29-22, 10:10 AM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
Stuff looks great but it also looks like oil filter changes will suck.

At Lexus they did have to take a little extra time because I think they spilled oil on the bar and needed to wipe everything down good. I always get service there and thankfully they never give me crap about the bars.
Old 09-29-22, 11:35 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBPhoto
Yo! Since this post I've added a lot more parts. I did get the figs bushings in the bracket and as far as I know they don't need any maintenance. If you want the best result I'd go figs because the GSF bushings are an upgrade for us, BUT the GSF guys ditch theirs for figs so thats the top performer. I did love the result of that mod too. I swapped to RSR best coilovers from my swift springs, added Ultra Racing front lower tie bar, exhaust tunnel brace, and the Super Pro adjustable rear sway bar (which was an enormous improvement), and much lighter wheels. The handling is really excellent now.
So helpful man, thank you! Figs it is!!

I’m gonna lower on Swifts soon, I want to keep AVS, but I might go ahead and replace struts/shocks when I have that done as well.

I got a ride in an RCF through the canyon, it was stock and I was very impressed obviously by the power and the handling too. Previous to my rear sway bar install, I could not keep up with him in the corners..this guy was also a little on the wild side and I like to drive hard but lean toward the safer side. I haven't been back up with him or another F car since that last mod. After my rear sway bar install I was in the mountains and I passed a train of cars waiting to pull out behind me and it was like "ah crap, they're gonna get on my ***". It was an M2 leading, AMG GT, M8, and Taycan. Somehow it never got to the point where they were even 4-5 car lengths behind me, still saw them in the rear view but not close to me at all where I would feel pressured to pull over. Faster cars will catch up to me and get semi close and I'll always hit the next turnout to let them go, but that didn't happen this day. When we got to the point where everyone parks and meets, the M2 driver came right up to me and said "dude you were hauling ***!" then asked if this was the GSF! I said no its only the 350 with a good amount of suspension work! It was pretty nice to see that whole group with high end cars look at mine and think its cool.
Man that’s fun to hear. Yeah, this car is good on power. I'm steady breaking the speed limits on street, I don't need anymore (not that the 2GR has performance options anyway ), better handling is what I want.

When this car gets moving it flies, being above 4000rpm is amazing. Can't tell you how many times I'm driving on the highway and I look down and I'm doing 110. This car was made for the autobahn.

Can you link the Figs bushings? I can’t find them. Also, can you link your front splitter? Where’s it from? Legit the only splitter that I’ve seen and liked on the 4GS.

Last edited by greys0uled; 09-29-22 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-29-22, 01:30 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

I’m gonna lower on Swifts soon, I want to keep AVS, but I might go ahead and replace struts/shocks when I have that done as well.

Man that’s fun to hear. Yeah, this car is good on power. I'm steady breaking the speed limits on street, I don't need anymore (not that the 2GR has performance options anyway ), better handling is what I want.

When this car gets moving it flies, being above 4000rpm is amazing. Can't tell you how many times I'm driving on the highway and I look down and I'm doing 110. This car was made for the autobahn.

Can you link the Figs bushings? I can’t find them. Also, can you link your front splitter? Where’s it from? Legit the only splitter that I’ve seen and liked on the 4GS.

Its enough to put a smile on your face and now that my handling is a lot better it really can move through some turns nicely. It does get going too, I agree!!

here are the bushings -

https://shopfigs.com/v5/by-vehicle/c...t-gs-L10/L1025

The splitter is by Nizo Low and I think I'm only 1 of 2 people that have it in the USA. I became friends with another 4gs owner who had to hire a Japanese translator and convince them to do business with a customer in the US. He later did the facelift bumper and I was able to buy it directly from him. However, this is a link to a very similar and surprisingly less expensive lip but it comes with a 4 month shipping time from Japan. I have not seen anyone at all with this lip

https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...fiber-5332.php
Old 09-29-22, 01:38 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Let me just say that especially since you are replacing struts too, you should just go with an AVS compatible coilover. Mine are AVS compatible and ride so much better than Swift/stock shocks, night and day difference. Once I switched it made me regret not just getting coilovers in the first place. Not only are they smoother on bumps but the handling is on another level than just springs. Tein and RSR make them but from what I'm hearing is that the Tein is softer than the RSR best*i coilover. Tein is only AVS adjustable but this RSR has a 24 way adjustment also on the bottom of the damper, you can set that then still adjust ride quality from eco, sport and sport + from the inside the car.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (10-01-22)
Old 09-29-22, 06:33 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Its enough to put a smile on your face and now that my handling is a lot better it really can move through some turns nicely. It does get going too, I agree!!

here are the bushings -

https://shopfigs.com/v5/by-vehicle/c...t-gs-L10/L1025

The splitter is by Nizo Low and I think I'm only 1 of 2 people that have it in the USA. I became friends with another 4gs owner who had to hire a Japanese translator and convince them to do business with a customer in the US. He later did the facelift bumper and I was able to buy it directly from him. However, this is a link to a very similar and surprisingly less expensive lip but it comes with a 4 month shipping time from Japan. I have not seen anyone at all with this lip

https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...fiber-5332.php
Thanks for the link!

Damn!! That splitter is less expensive and its still $750?? LOL
Didn't know it was CF, thought it was just regular plastic and thus much cheaper.

Let me just say that especially since you are replacing struts too, you should just go with an AVS compatible coilover. Mine are AVS compatible and ride so much better than Swift/stock shocks, night and day difference. Once I switched it made me regret not just getting coilovers in the first place. Not only are they smoother on bumps but the handling is on another level than just springs. Tein and RSR make them but from what I'm hearing is that the Tein is softer than the RSR best*i coilover. Tein is only AVS adjustable but this RSR has a 24 way adjustment also on the bottom of the damper, you can set that then still adjust ride quality from eco, sport and sport + from the inside the car.
Yeah that makes much more sense honestly. The AVS compatible coilovers are what, ~$2K?

Quick Reply: installed: UR/Toms front/rear upper/lower chassis bracing - pics and review