Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Adaptive Shocks. KYB or OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-21, 04:32 PM
Oceans13
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Adaptive Shocks. KYB or OEM?

I have a 2008 GS460 with the AVS optional adaptive variable sport suspension.. I need to replace the shocks / struts. I am considering OEM ones to retain the AVS suspension function, but also considering the KYB ones as an alternative. I see that they made rear shocks with the adaptive option. Will they be making front ones as well? Should I wait or just save up for the OEMs?

Old 09-06-21, 02:46 AM
petershen
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I agonised about this for a long long time, if I were to stay with shocks and springs, I would stay OEM. I have come to appreciate OEM more and more over time. As long as you stick to the stock ride height and install them properly, they last a long time. The trouble comes when lowering springs are added, though 99% of the time you'll be ok, based on all the anecdotal evidence on the forums etc driving style, roads e.g. city roads have lots of humps and speedbumps all play a big part in longevity of shocks.

In the end the ricer in me went HKS Hipermax IV GT
The following 2 users liked this post by petershen:
Oceans13 (09-08-21), S2Kiwi (03-12-22)
Old 09-06-21, 11:56 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 780 Likes on 673 Posts

KYB and OEM are the exact same, its up to you if you can live with or without the avs in the front. Maybe they will add avs to the fronts. But you leaving it disconnected is fine and will not pop up any codes. KYB is about a 1/4 of the price of oem struts
The following users liked this post:
Oceans13 (09-08-21)
Old 09-10-21, 07:51 PM
Oceans13
Advanced

Thanks. I emailed KYB asking if they will make AVS shocks for the front in the future.
Old 01-20-22, 08:30 AM
Oceans13
Advanced

I installed the KYB rear shocks that support AVS and they ride nice.
And today I looking on RockAuto and it seems like KYB finally released front shock absorbers that support AVS. But only for AWD models so far.

Old 01-21-22, 07:16 AM
S2Kiwi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The Definitive Lexus GS460 Suspension OEM/Non modified parts list

Originally Posted by Oceans13
I installed the KYB rear shocks that support AVS and they ride nice.
And today I looking on RockAuto and it seems like KYB finally released front shock absorbers that support AVS. But only for AWD models so far.
Having just been down this rabbit hole to the nth degree for front shocks, here is how it works:

KYB adjustable/AVC compatible (gs450h/late IS/etc only):
KYB 7210000 and 7210001 (L + R pair)
Is available and cheap but ONLY for the later GS450h and later 16+ IS/GS models that do not have a round rubber bushing mounted to the bottom of the shock (they have bare metal forks instead so a different mount). They are AVS but they do not fit the 3GS LCA mount.
So they don't fit our GS460s or GS350s etc sadly. GS450 and other owners do your research and check the mounts work.

F-sport Bilsteins (NON AVC)
PTR13-53093 FR
PTR13-53094 LR
One cheap option if you want to drive lot of twisties is the F-sport bilsteins they are harder and some don't like them for daily driving on bumpier roads.

Other is the standard KYB as listed above in the thread. (Non AVC as well).

The OEM/Lexus INCLUDING AVC Option for front:
4851080436 RHS
4852080183 LHS

They are expensive but I feel the best for daily use with occasional spirited drives, you get the best of both worlds, comfort and sportiness and I feel the car works best with them. The rear is unwound during heavy acceleration allowing the car to squat better, or outside is stiffened in a corner etc. This is to me something that makes the GS460 and other models equipped with this quite a nice experience so I feel it's worth the money.
In the end with restrictions by Toyota/Lexus to US distributors not being able to ship internationally in most cases, I bought from the local dealer, as the price was actually comparable with importing.

While you are in there you may as well do the rest of the stuff and protect your expensive AVC shocks.

Front Suspension Support Assembly (extra love for your ride)
Suspension dust boot/top shock bumper/top mount cradle
Lexus 48680-30340 (10 also is alternative but murky support listings)
KYB SM5723
KYB is the OEM they are literally the same part as Lexus which is 2x the price. AND contrary to some sites, rock auto (who I would trust more than most) and at least one other site confirm they support Lexus 48680-30340 and thus AVC. They have the rounded slot, not the circular non-AVC end so should work fine. I will confirm next week when mounted.
Replacing this makes your car literally feel like new, especially if your bushings are in good shape.

One thing I am looking into further while doing this is rubber conditioning/treatment to prolong boot life.
Also have heard the febest boots barely lasted 3-4 years for at least 2 people... so steer cleer and stick with KYB and avoid the Chinese junk. Also heard FEC top mounts are crap, so beware the Chinese cheap Front Suspension Support Assembly as many also have the wrong looking top mount suspension bushings. So they could cause issues and I would be careful with them if not avoid especially if using more pricey AVC shocks. To save a hundred bucks or less isn't worth it..

I will be DIY replacing both shocks (basically a spring transplant as everything else is new).

So good luck and don't get ripped off. Also be nice, give them part numbers so they don't go wasting time and ask your dealer for a deal on two AVC shocks, they helped me out. Thanks Auckland City Central Lexus, who even loaded the shock boxes etc into the GS for my girlfriend.

Last edited by S2Kiwi; 01-21-22 at 07:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Oceans13 (01-21-22)
Old 03-11-22, 04:56 PM
Oceans13
Advanced

Did you mount them? How are they? Pics?
Old 03-12-22, 07:09 AM
S2Kiwi
Driver

Originally Posted by Oceans13
Did you mount them? How are they? Pics?
Do you want pics of them in the car or just with hardware? They just look like new shocks lol. The pic I have here is bad because I didn't have the top mount bolts aligned to shock lower bushing correctly, had to re-do and repaint (the cheaper spring compressors love chewing your **** up if you don't pad them..).

Everything went fine aside from aligning bushing/top bolts (hardest part is slowly decompressing in correct alignment without a hydraulic/smaller compressor that fits in the wheel well), got the service manual from emanualsonline. Pictures really help for the AVS install as you have to line up the flat of the piston, and the alignment to the lower bushing and the top struts is critical. I put the AVS motor mount brackets backwards, but it doesn't impact functionality as they automatically align, and it's just a 180° change in position (rotation direction same etc). The blue dots on them (JDM 07 GS460 applicable, your results may vary) signify the forward position. This isn't noted in the manual for this proceedure, no doubt in some obscure 'dot decoding' chapter somewhere xD. I've seen similar used by GM when parting their high end cars of similar age.

KYB OEM (cheaper than lexus) bushing that comes with boot/top mount/bearing etc is much bigger than OEM, I do have pics of that for you.
2 and a bit weeks in and the spring noises (after one faster motorway run) have mostly disappeared. I only rarely now hear a squeak going over speed bumps etc but it's usually once during the drive at most from one of the sides, so the springs are basically settled now and it's alignment time.
The alignment wasn't much different to how it was when the shock was blown funnily enough, shows that the prior alignment was more influenced by the blown shock and worn bushings on that shock, than anything else :/

One thing to note, the bushings were getting pretty past it for the lower shock. You can't really see them/inspect them easily without heaps of light/no wheel, without removing the lower bolt though. Even then you can't see them until they are really out.
Mine had moved about 2-3mm up... so the whole car gets lower as teh bushing wear. This and the oil is why old shocks cause ride height to sag a bit I guess..

End results, aside from LCA rubber, it feels like a new car. Within 90-95% of any decent new car I've driven recently. It's a real treat, all the confidence (and more is back) in corners, sport mode is quite stiff, you really hear it on lane divider bumps etc, I don't really need to use it much now.

Overall one thing I would say, if you can get the shocks complete with springs/top etc for 50usd more, it's probably worth it unless if you are an absolute penny pincher like me. Even then I'd rather get complete shock next time, it saves hassle of alignment, spring damage, spring compressors, sore hands, arms, etc etc.

Pics here \/\/\/\/\/\/
Spoiler

Last edited by S2Kiwi; 03-12-22 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-06-22, 03:24 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kiwi
Having just been down this rabbit hole to the nth degree for front shocks, here is how it works:

KYB adjustable/AVC compatible (gs450h/late IS/etc only):
KYB 7210000 and 7210001 (L + R pair)
Is available and cheap but ONLY for the later GS450h and later 16+ IS/GS models that do not have a round rubber bushing mounted to the bottom of the shock (they have bare metal forks instead so a different mount). They are AVS but they do not fit the 3GS LCA mount.
So they don't fit our GS460s or GS350s etc sadly. GS450 and other owners do your research and check the mounts work.

F-sport Bilsteins (NON AVC)
PTR13-53093 FR
PTR13-53094 LR
One cheap option if you want to drive lot of twisties is the F-sport bilsteins they are harder and some don't like them for daily driving on bumpier roads.

Other is the standard KYB as listed above in the thread. (Non AVC as well).

The OEM/Lexus INCLUDING AVC Option for front:
4851080436 RHS
4852080183 LHS

They are expensive but I feel the best for daily use with occasional spirited drives, you get the best of both worlds, comfort and sportiness and I feel the car works best with them. The rear is unwound during heavy acceleration allowing the car to squat better, or outside is stiffened in a corner etc. This is to me something that makes the GS460 and other models equipped with this quite a nice experience so I feel it's worth the money.
In the end with restrictions by Toyota/Lexus to US distributors not being able to ship internationally in most cases, I bought from the local dealer, as the price was actually comparable with importing.

While you are in there you may as well do the rest of the stuff and protect your expensive AVC shocks.

Front Suspension Support Assembly (extra love for your ride)
Suspension dust boot/top shock bumper/top mount cradle
Lexus 48680-30340 (10 also is alternative but murky support listings)
KYB SM5723
KYB is the OEM they are literally the same part as Lexus which is 2x the price. AND contrary to some sites, rock auto (who I would trust more than most) and at least one other site confirm they support Lexus 48680-30340 and thus AVC. They have the rounded slot, not the circular non-AVC end so should work fine. I will confirm next week when mounted.
Replacing this makes your car literally feel like new, especially if your bushings are in good shape.

One thing I am looking into further while doing this is rubber conditioning/treatment to prolong boot life.
Also have heard the febest boots barely lasted 3-4 years for at least 2 people... so steer cleer and stick with KYB and avoid the Chinese junk. Also heard FEC top mounts are crap, so beware the Chinese cheap Front Suspension Support Assembly as many also have the wrong looking top mount suspension bushings. So they could cause issues and I would be careful with them if not avoid especially if using more pricey AVC shocks. To save a hundred bucks or less isn't worth it..

I will be DIY replacing both shocks (basically a spring transplant as everything else is new).

So good luck and don't get ripped off. Also be nice, give them part numbers so they don't go wasting time and ask your dealer for a deal on two AVC shocks, they helped me out. Thanks Auckland City Central Lexus, who even loaded the shock boxes etc into the GS for my girlfriend.
Those numbers, 4851080436 RHS, 4852080183 LHS, some sites say they fit the 06 GS430 and some sites say they don't. Any definitive answer? I'm planning on doing my suspension overhaul at 150k and want new OEM AVS shocks all around.

Old 04-06-22, 09:32 PM
S2Kiwi
Driver

Originally Posted by eicca
Those numbers, 4851080436 RHS, 4852080183 LHS, some sites say they fit the 06 GS430 and some sites say they don't. Any definitive answer? I'm planning on doing my suspension overhaul at 150k and want new OEM AVS shocks all around.
If they came with AVS, they are the same chassis so it should be same, but 430 is a rarer model again I would check your shock lower bushing/bracket (main difference between 3GS and later models (and the 450s have different lower bushings with the extra weight...)) and really dig into part numbers on multiple sites first.

If you find some part numbers and want me to check for you quickly (I'm flat out so only have a few mins to help) just drop em here. Also give me your chassis model (car). E.g. URS190 for GS460.
Old 04-06-22, 09:49 PM
eicca
Intermediate

If they came with AVS, they are the same chassis so it should be same, but 430 is a rarer model again I would check your shock lower bushing/bracket (main difference between 3GS and later models (and the 450s have different lower bushings with the extra weight...)) and really dig into part numbers on multiple sites first.

If you find some part numbers and want me to check for you quickly (I'm flat out so only have a few mins to help) just drop em here. Also give me your chassis model (car). E.g. URS190 for GS460.
I would love it if you would check these numbers. I'll check my mounting hardware next time I'm in there too. My vehicle is the UZS190.

So far I've found:
Front right - 48510-80426
Front left - 48520-80087
Rear both - 48530-80343

If the front part numbers mentioned earlier are compatible with the 430, that would be awesome because they're about $100 cheaper apiece from what I can tell.

Appreciate your help.
Old 04-06-22, 09:58 PM
S2Kiwi
Driver

https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2006...852080087.html
https://parts.lexus.com/p/76159508/48510-80426.html
https://parts.lexus.com/p/63132599/48530-80343.html

That is an official lexus portal and your numbers are bang on.
Seems they fit RX330s, CT200s and all sorts, so there are craploads of them built... looks like the GS/LS460s have the most expensive of the AVS due to limited production volume and because of that KYB doesn't yet have an OEM/own brand version like other AVS models (later 450 is cheap as hell etc), only makes them for Lexus directly.

If you see stuff like 200 under retail be VERY certain they are AVS and the exact part number. I nearly fell for non AVS parts a few times with 'equivalent part numbers' that wern't the actual part number.

Last edited by S2Kiwi; 04-06-22 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 08:26 AM
eicca
Intermediate

https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2006...852080087.html
https://parts.lexus.com/p/76159508/48510-80426.html
https://parts.lexus.com/p/63132599/48530-80343.html

That is an official lexus portal and your numbers are bang on.
Seems they fit RX330s, CT200s and all sorts, so there are craploads of them built... looks like the GS/LS460s have the most expensive of the AVS due to limited production volume and because of that KYB doesn't yet have an OEM/own brand version like other AVS models (later 450 is cheap as hell etc), only makes them for Lexus directly.

If you see stuff like 200 under retail be VERY certain they are AVS and the exact part number. I nearly fell for non AVS parts a few times with 'equivalent part numbers' that wern't the actual part number.
Awesome, thanks so much for checking on those for me.

Considering that a set of *decent* coilovers is at least $1200, it makes the price tag of genuine AVS shocks a little more bearable.
Old 04-08-22, 08:48 AM
S2Kiwi
Driver

Originally Posted by eicca
Awesome, thanks so much for checking on those for me.

Considering that a set of *decent* coilovers is at least $1200, it makes the price tag of genuine AVS shocks a little more bearable.
Exactly the way I looked at it too and I get much more flexibility than those 1200 dollar coilovers on a daily driver.
My S2K race car has adjustable k-sports and they are great and comfy but they do one thing and do it pretty well.. AVS does both to a level that's more than enough for our chassis and use.
Old 05-01-22, 05:13 PM
Oceans13
Advanced

Update folks. On the rears, I installed KYB GS350 shocks that support AVS, along with new mounts. It was a no brainer.

I lamented the fronts however, since only OEM support AVS currently, and I didnt feel like dropping close to $1000 for a function that I do not ever use.. But yesterday I checked Rockauto, and they had a pair of front non AVS shocks on closeout, so I decided to snag them. I

I'll hold onto them for now, and get some mounts in the future, before I have them installed. Not sure which mounts to get however..

Quick Reply: Adaptive Shocks. KYB or OEM?