Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Clearance after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 08:47 PM
LOIdbanks
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clearance after lowering

Yo, what up guys. So this is my first time lowering my GS this low. Usually it's more practical for a daily, but since I daily my 4runner now, I can actually have a bit of fun with this car. So the setup first:
BC Racing Coilovers; I believe the spring rates are 12k front and 10k rear. With max dampener stiffness all around.
Front upper SPC camber ball joint
Wheel and tire size are:
Front - 19x10 +35 on 2353519 (+25mm spacer)
Rear - 19x11 +25 on 2553519

After lowering it, I noticed the front wheel is about 1/2 inch away from hitting the frame/bracket behind the headlights. I'm curious on how a lot of you guys are a lot lower and this doesn't seem to be an issue. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and thinking it will hit. I would rather be on the safe side. Or can someone tell me how much space I should leave for travel room so it doesn't hit anything. I took some pictures to show what I am talking about. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

The following users liked this post:
petershen (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 05:22 PM
petershen
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Very nice setup! Are you hitting the fender over humps? If you're not I wouldn't worry about it

I'm not lowered much, but I run much fatter tyres, so I had to take a heat gun to the fender liners, shave the rear fenders and roll the fronts, and I still rub slightly on full lock. I do have slightly more clearance to the front fender compared to your setup.
The following users liked this post:
LOIdbanks (10-15-21)
Old 10-15-21, 07:33 PM
LOIdbanks
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I actually haven't tried driving it yet. Wanted to get some insight before risking anything. Last thing I want to do is pop a tire and mess up a wheel. I'll probably raise it just a bit to be on the safe side
Old 10-17-21, 11:58 PM
petershen
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LOIdbanks
Thanks! I actually haven't tried driving it yet. Wanted to get some insight before risking anything. Last thing I want to do is pop a tire and mess up a wheel. I'll probably raise it just a bit to be on the safe side
Yes it's best to raise it up like 0.5" and see if it is OK. With coilovers it's quite easy to adjust the height. My usual approach is
1. Shave and roll fenders first
2. Raise to about 1" fender gap and drive hard over my normal routes and carparks etc
3. Then if all OK, lower slightly, and repeat
4. Then once I have contact or rubbing, I'll try to fix it, e.g. heat gun to fender liners, then see if it goes away or I can live with it
5. Stop at 4 or raise slightly to previous height when there were no issues.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!