Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Rear sway bar end links too long

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 05:12 PM
austinh98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear sway bar end links too long

Just finished installing a rear Tein Flex Z Coilover
and now it looks like the sway bar end link is too long to reach the sway bar since the spring is shorter. has anyone run into this problem, and if so how did you fix it? Thanks in

advance.
Old 12-31-21, 04:31 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey man, coilovers are a fixed unit. That spring needs to seat on the damper itself rather than in the actual old spring seat. In a coilover conversion the spring seat of the rear control arm remains empty. That is why the damper is maxed out like that and likely why your end links don't line up at all. Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
austinh98 (01-02-22)
Old 12-31-21, 04:34 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

See Like this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-install.html
Old 12-31-21, 04:43 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Check the example tein product page to get some more context too https://www.tein.com/products/flex_avs.html#spec00
Old 01-01-22, 03:56 PM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Asav
Hey man, coilovers are a fixed unit. That spring needs to seat on the damper itself rather than in the actual old spring seat. In a coilover conversion the spring seat of the rear control arm remains empty. That is why the damper is maxed out like that and likely why your end links don't line up at all. Hope this helps
Not all coilovers are spring over strut in the rear. Although I'm not familiar with the Tein Flex z, the length of the shock has nothing to do with the sway bar not lining up.

Look at it this way, people with air suspension aired completely out and laying the frame on the ground can still retain the sway bar end links.

OP, is it connected on the other side? All you need to do is spin the sway bar. It should be able to move freely.
Old 01-01-22, 04:57 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bumada
Not all coilovers are spring over strut in the rear. Although I'm not familiar with the Tein Flex z, the length of the shock has nothing to do with the sway bar not lining up.

Look at it this way, people with air suspension aired completely out and laying the frame on the ground can still retain the sway bar end links.

OP, is it connected on the other side? All you need to do is spin the sway bar. It should be able to move freely.
Thanks man. I def didn't know that was the case with other coilovers. OP: Flex z product page is here: --> https://www.tein.com/products/flex_z.html def seems to me like the spring should be on the damper and not back in the perch, but maybe someone else can confirm.

bumada, maybe one side of axle not in the air? austinh98, Do you have the other side of the car jacked up too? Maybe there is some weird tension on the actual sway bar that got it sitting like that??..

Old 01-01-22, 05:04 PM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Asav
Thanks man. I def didn't know that was the case with other coilovers. OP: Flex z product page is here: --> https://www.tein.com/products/flex_z.html def seems to me like the spring should be on the damper and not back in the perch, but maybe someone else can confirm.

bumada, maybe one side of axle not in the air? austinh98, Do you have the other side of the car jacked up too? Maybe there is some weird tension on the actual sway bar that got it sitting like that??..
Yea if only one side is off the ground then it'll kink the sway bar.
Old 01-02-22, 05:20 PM
austinh98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up having to remove the strut temporarily to lower the control arm so that the end link would fit and bolted it in and reconnected the strut after.