Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Blown tire falken 452.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 03:17 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry Blown tire falken 452.....

I just picked up a set of vossen last weekend for my ls430. The rear tires that were on the wheels was bald and the size was 285/30/20 nitto 555. I test fitted them and it was pretty close to getting rub even with my fenders already rolled. So i figure i would go with two 275/30/20 falken 452 to avoid any rub. Yesterday i had the 2 rear tires installed plus road force balance all four wheels. Today as i was going down the highway doing about 75mph i started to feel shaking coming from the rear. So as i switch lane to slow down one rear blew out and i started to lose control on the car. Thank GOD luckly no one was behind or near me. I manage to get control and pulled over and here's the damage to that one rear tire. btw wheels are 20x10.5 et30

Old 12-20-09, 03:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

could it be the tire was leaking air and you were running with no pressure?

seems like the rim cut open the sidewall
Old 12-20-09, 05:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
could it be the tire was leaking air and you were running with no pressure?

seems like the rim cut open the sidewall
that is definitely damage from a tire run low on air pressure...

however, the mechanical part of it isn't that the rim cut the sidewall open, what happens is that the tire gets low on air, thus causing excessive flexing in the sidewall with the most weight (the inner on most vehicles), the excessive flex causes the tire to overheat - when rubber (and other compounds used in tires) overheats, it basically melts through - it starts out as a shallow groove, and left to run low on air long enough, the above pictures are what happens...
Old 12-20-09, 07:24 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down That sucks!

Either way the tire shop should take care of him. If it blew one day after installation it was probably a manufacturing flaw or improper mounting. I keep hearing more and more issues with the FK452's.

I told a friend of mine about the bubbles that can develope in the sidewalls that I have read about since he was about to purchase some. Sure enough he got them in less than 2000 miles. See if you are able to switch them out to some other tires.

I have had no issues with my Yokohama S.drives and they are in the same price range, or check out the Hankook Ventus V12's, I will probably get these next since they ride just as nice and perform better from what I read in the car and driver test.
Old 12-20-09, 07:32 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

One more thing, I also have some VVS 078's with the same size tires in the rear and the 275/30's are slightly stretched on those rims so I don't think the rim did that to the tire.
Old 12-20-09, 08:00 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another Falken 452 problem?...sheesh
Old 12-20-09, 08:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Exactly the same occurred with my 452s two weeks ago. Tire was low, blew out at 90. Tire was 1 month old at the most. I found the nail hold, no nail, so the tire became low, could not be felt as they were 285/25/20s in the rear, and the rim shredded it. Incidentally, this was the 2nd rear tire lost in just 6 weeks or so. I have the worst luck.

So two new rear tires-again, but this time a TPMS installed and all is good. I will be changing over to a stronger tire with a XL load rating the next time around. My size 452s are load rated at 93. I like to run higher pressure up front to counter the understeer of my car.

Again, in my case, this is not Falkens problem, more bad luck with road debris, low tire pressure, no TPMS at the time, and Benihana time on the tires.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-20-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 08:52 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by j three
One more thing, I also have some VVS 078's with the same size tires in the rear and the 275/30's are slightly stretched on those rims so I don't think the rim did that to the tire.
did you not read my post at all???

guys, this is 100% guaranteed a case of a tire that was punctured and driven on flat...

I have literally seen thousands and thousands of examples like this...

this has absolutely, positively NOTHING to do with the Falken 452 tire line, and get this, I'm definitely not a fan of Falken.

three possibilities exist as to why this tire failed -
1) ran over a nail/screw/glass, etc - tire leaked which caused the tire to fail
2) the newly installed valve leaked, ran low on air which caused the tire to fail
3) the tire shop damaged the bead of the tire when installing it, causing it to rip, causing it to not seal well against the wheel, resulting in a leak, which ran the tire low on air, which caused the tire to fail...

there ya go... pick one of the above...
Old 12-21-09, 04:19 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

I had this problem same before with my old rims about 3 month ago. The rear was also falken 452 and the size was 285/25/20.
Old 12-22-09, 12:30 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Mitsuguy I read your post fully but road debris and loss of pressure affects many people with many different kinds of tires. I had a leak in my tire (Yokohama S.drive) from a screw a few months ago, again the same size 275/30/20 and was driving around for a few days freeway included. When I finally checked my tire after feeling a difference in ride and noticing it looked a little low, it was only 15psi! This is a tire with over 20k miles miles on it. A tire should be able to withstand less than perfect conditions, especially one that is brand spanking new.

In my opinion Falken has some problems with their FK452 line of tires. I have not heard of this many people having this many problems with any other tires on this scale short of the firestone blowouts period. This is the "second time" it has happened to him with a "different set of rims" and different set of tires. Both were FK452 although different size, same result!!!! Tire failure!!!! That is why he should be able to switch brands.

All these people can"t be idiots making blunders on an epic scale . Bottom line, this is not an isolated incidence with this tire! With that being said I have nothing against Falken, but they need to do something about this.
Old 12-22-09, 12:35 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 275/30/20 blew out 2 weeks ago and it looked exactly like this too. IMO Falken FK452's are subpar tires. I switched to General Exclaim UHP's and they are awesome since!
Old 12-22-09, 12:39 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

All these people can"t be idiots making blunders on an epic scale .
Actually I blundered by having such low profile tires and no operational TPMS which I have since rectified. There is very little margin with such low profile tires. Now whether Falkens are more susceptible to blowing out when low is another question. I can add that I have experienced blow outs similar to the picture above with Goodyear, Pirelli, Toyo ,etc over the years.
Old 12-22-09, 03:28 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Mitsuguy I read your post fully but road debris and loss of pressure affects many people with many different kinds of tires. I had a leak in my tire (Yokohama S.drive) from a screw a few months ago, again the same size 275/30/20 and was driving around for a few days freeway included. When I finally checked my tire after feeling a difference in ride and noticing it looked a little low, it was only 15psi! This is a tire with over 20k miles miles on it. A tire should be able to withstand less than perfect conditions, especially one that is brand spanking new.

In my opinion Falken has some problems with their FK452 line of tires. I have not heard of this many people having this many problems with any other tires on this scale short of the firestone blowouts period. This is the "second time" it has happened to him with a "different set of rims" and different set of tires. Both were FK452 although different size, same result!!!! Tire failure!!!! That is why he should be able to switch brands.

All these people can"t be idiots making blunders on an epic scale . Bottom line, this is not an isolated incidence with this tire! With that being said I have nothing against Falken, but they need to do something about this.

Man oh man... if you only knew... I worked in the tire industry for 8 years. We didn't sell many Falken tires, and we replaced tires that looked like those pictures on a daily basis... daily.

no tire needs to be able to withstand being overloaded / underinflated. You got lucky with your Yokohama. 15 PSI is enough to keep the tire in shape for a little while, My guess is that the tire above had more like 5 PSI in it just before it failed.

I did a quick search and it turned up a thread on MBWorld, where the exact same thing happened to someone with a Michelin tire... The argument started the same way it did here - it couldn't have been flat, so they say... They sent the tire to Michelin for inspection, they said it was run low on air. Then, another tire guy, like myself chimed in and gave more evidence... here's the link - a worthwhile read: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/wheels...en-raptor.html

there's more out there for sure...
Old 12-22-09, 03:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

read post #20 on this one: http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-...-are-ok-2.html
Old 12-22-09, 10:41 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

On my previous rims I had falken 452 all round and the front tires works like a charm. I like how they perform and for their price which isn't too expensive either. However after 2 different tire blowing out on me. For now I think I'm going try another brand.

Quick Reply: Blown tire falken 452.....