Lexus TX

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 09:10 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Has Lexus confirmed what 3.5 V6 they are using in the TX550h+? I would assume the same 3.5 V6 they have been using for years?
Old 09-20-23, 02:17 PM
kbrod1
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to get the 550h+Luxury but am also dismayed with the remarkable small selection of interior colors. Two blacks or peppercorn which is essentially an off-black and birch. What were they thinking? There's no way I would compromise so significantly when there are many other 'luxury' brands that offer way more selections. Sadly even within the Lexus brand RX/LX for instance you have ample options.
The following 2 users liked this post by kbrod1:
habu987 (09-21-23), Vlad6525 (09-27-23)
Old 09-21-23, 09:35 AM
habu987
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbrod1
I would like to get the 550h+Luxury but am also dismayed with the remarkable small selection of interior colors. Two blacks or peppercorn which is essentially an off-black and birch. What were they thinking? There's no way I would compromise so significantly when there are many other 'luxury' brands that offer way more selections. Sadly even within the Lexus brand RX/LX for instance you have ample options.
And no wood trim, no triple beam headlights, no full leather trim option, etc.

It's a distinct move down market and is a pretty clear sign of cost cutting.
The following users liked this post:
Vlad6525 (09-22-23)
Old 09-21-23, 12:21 PM
kumar9
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish if Lexus would reveal whether there is going to be a TX350h (7 seat) version in the future. Looks like the hybrid versions are equally reliable and almost the same feel except for the price difference.
Old 09-22-23, 12:08 PM
JetFighter
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
Has Lexus confirmed what 3.5 V6 they are using in the TX550h+? I would assume the same 3.5 V6 they have been using for years?
Not confirmed, but internet is saying the same 3.5 V6 you mentioned which is the 2GR-FX5, a solid engine.
Old 09-24-23, 06:24 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by habu987
And no wood trim, no triple beam headlights, no full leather trim option, etc.

It's a distinct move down market and is a pretty clear sign of cost cutting.
Yes and these are going to sell for 60-70K, not 90-100K like the competition.
zorax2 (09-25-23)
Old 09-25-23, 09:29 AM
zorax2
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
Until the TX was announced, I was shopping the BMW X7 and Mercedes GLS450 and expected to purchase one of them. Nicely equipped, both push plus or minus $100k.

The X7 put everything touchscreen and removed most ***** (for temperature, seat heaters, etc.). In spite of like everything else great about the X7, for me, that is a deal breaker given X7 owner feedback. The GLS is very nice but seems to suffer a reputation for reliability issues.

I've driven about 1,500 miles with both the X7 and GLS450 thanks to Sixt rentals which gave me a real opportunity to see how I liked them. I really did love driving them both. I've got a tall family (5'10, 6'2, 6'0, 6'3, 6'3") and the GLS was sensational for long ride comfort and luggage capacity. They both also have very quiet interiors and I'm assuming the TX won't be nearly as quiet.

That being said, I've owned Lexus' for years (LS400, LS430, LS460L, RX350, ES350) and they've been pretty much bulletproof. Everyone on this forum has a sense of that but also knows the Lexus technology is typically a little behind. I think the technology on these will be good to very good and the safety features comparable to competitors.

Performance will definitely be lacking by comparison to the X7 and GLS (the F-sport is closer but braking is always worse). My closest comparison is our 2014 RX350 which has similar horsepower and lower torque than the TX and yet, for the most part, we have never been bothered by that nor needing more "zip". I was strongly considering the TX F-sport but seeing how we've never really needed more power from our RX, the TX Luxury will be a good fit for our needs.

Important, as mentioned by @malba2366, the TX will be substantially less expensive.
Carnut50 (11-12-23)
Old 09-25-23, 08:43 PM
captainnem
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the TX a lot, but am a little disappointed in the powertrains (in addition to the lack of options available). I have read reviews of the Grand Highlander that the non-hybrid 2.4L is sluggish. Both X7 and GLS offer TTV6 and TTV8 options with lots of power. Granted, you pay a 30K premium for that (as well as full leather, etc.). I would like to see a TX600h option in the future that has the same hybrid TTV6 in the upcoming GX550h+. But that 4wd system is different than the TX AWD, so that may be why it's not offered.
Old 09-26-23, 12:25 PM
JetFighter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by captainnem
I like the TX a lot, but am a little disappointed in the powertrains (in addition to the lack of options available). I have read reviews of the Grand Highlander that the non-hybrid 2.4L is sluggish. Both X7 and GLS offer TTV6 and TTV8 options with lots of power. Granted, you pay a 30K premium for that (as well as full leather, etc.). I would like to see a TX600h option in the future that has the same hybrid TTV6 in the upcoming GX550h+. But that 4wd system is different than the TX AWD, so that may be why it's not offered.
The TX550h+ is a plug-in hybrid EV with a V6 motor.

Last edited by JetFighter; 09-26-23 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-26-23, 01:39 PM
JetFighter
Driver School Candidate

You can now build your Lexus TX on the Lexus website.
Old 09-26-23, 07:06 PM
habu987
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
Sure, but these are omissions compared to options available in the RX and other cheaper models in the Lexus lineup.

It's de-contenting, plain and simple, and the only reasonable explanation is cost cutting. 🤷
Old 09-26-23, 08:00 PM
zorax2
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm loving it! I've been told Lexus is going to fully load up all TX Luxury package options, so I'd end up with 22" wheels which isn't a good thing in Minnesota. On the other hand, with every option including the 22" wheels, the MSRP would be $69,675.

I'm actually thrilled with that as a new X7 or GLS would be about $100k. I'll probably be just as happy driving the TX and keep the extra $30k in my pocket knowing I'll have less depreciation and maintenance costs as well.

The extra performance of the German SUVs doesn't matter though the TX won't likely be as quiet which is the only thing I may miss.

The F-Sport intrigues me but it only really gives speed and doesn't match some of the other characteristics in terms of handling compared to the German SUVs.
Old 09-28-23, 12:43 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Configurator/pricing is up on Lexus website now.

https://www.lexus.com/models/TX500h
Old 09-29-23, 05:16 AM
captainnem
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Almost $20k difference between base TX350 and Luxury 500h F Sport. My guess is 550h+ PHEV will be at least $10K higher than that if not more.
Old 10-02-23, 07:39 AM
kbrod1
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have an LS ultra edition which I loved. What a smooth ride; but every time I brought it to the dealer for regular check-ups it would cost me at least a $1000. It was always we replace the fuel pump at so and so miles or the belts or you name it always replacing something even though working fine. It became frustrating. It made me wonder how reliable these cars actually are if they're replacing everything anyway. Once I noticed a small wire was protruding on the corner of sunscreen that comes up on the rear window and they pulled it out essentially breaking it. I sent Lexus a note and they gave me a $500 certificate to use on future purchases which was used up with the next service. Imagine if every GM or Ford dealership replaced unbroken parts when you went for an oil change that wouldn't work out too well. Finally the air shocks started to go and putting another 4+ K wasn't going to happen. That all said, I wanted to replace it with another Lexus but an SUV but then they came out with this fish-mouth front which I hated so I actually went with a Buick Enclave as I liked the rounded look and it had plenty of room. It also takes regular gas and every time I bring it to the dealer it costs me less than $100 not over a $1000 and have had nothing wrong except rear shock which I replaced both with even better than it came with and still cost me still less than $300. I would like to get another SUV and now I see Lexus ahs changed the front grill to something I like but am not interested in the same engines that are in the Toyota GH and am looking at the 550+ Luxury and was hoping it would be around the 75K mark but looks like it will be way over that. What more, there isn't much selection with interior colors. You get a choice of either black or birch neither I like or want. I have driven MB GLS 450 which is very roomy and luxurious and had plenty of power. The BMW X740i which was also very luxurious but not as roomy as the GLS but I felt handled a bit better. The thing is these cars are not made on the same assembly line as a lower-end version and tweaked up. They are designed and manufactured specifically for that vehicle which I think is a big plus over the TX and for what I think the 550+ Luxury is going to cost I could get that BMW X7 which would certainly be more luxurious and handle better not to mention quieter. Not to forget how the Lexus dealers are going to put a premium over the MSRP like Toyota dealers are doing now with their GH. I do not see this with the Mercedes or BMW.
jccisgs (10-16-23)

Quick Reply: Lexus TX