Lexus TX

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 08:55 AM
habu987
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbrod1
I used to have an LS ultra edition which I loved. What a smooth ride; but every time I brought it to the dealer for regular check-ups it would cost me at least a $1000. It was always we replace the fuel pump at so and so miles or the belts or you name it always replacing something even though working fine. It became frustrating. It made me wonder how reliable these cars actually are if they're replacing everything anyway. Once I noticed a small wire was protruding on the corner of sunscreen that comes up on the rear window and they pulled it out essentially breaking it. I sent Lexus a note and they gave me a $500 certificate to use on future purchases which was used up with the next service. Imagine if every GM or Ford dealership replaced unbroken parts when you went for an oil change that wouldn't work out too well. Finally the air shocks started to go and putting another 4+ K wasn't going to happen. That all said, I wanted to replace it with another Lexus but an SUV but then they came out with this fish-mouth front which I hated so I actually went with a Buick Enclave as I liked the rounded look and it had plenty of room. It also takes regular gas and every time I bring it to the dealer it costs me less than $100 not over a $1000 and have had nothing wrong except rear shock which I replaced both with even better than it came with and still cost me still less than $300. I would like to get another SUV and now I see Lexus ahs changed the front grill to something I like but am not interested in the same engines that are in the Toyota GH and am looking at the 550+ Luxury and was hoping it would be around the 75K mark but looks like it will be way over that. What more, there isn't much selection with interior colors. You get a choice of either black or birch neither I like or want. I have driven MB GLS 450 which is very roomy and luxurious and had plenty of power. The BMW X740i which was also very luxurious but not as roomy as the GLS but I felt handled a bit better. The thing is these cars are not made on the same assembly line as a lower-end version and tweaked up. They are designed and manufactured specifically for that vehicle which I think is a big plus over the TX and for what I think the 550+ Luxury is going to cost I could get that BMW X7 which would certainly be more luxurious and handle better not to mention quieter. Not to forget how the Lexus dealers are going to put a premium over the MSRP like Toyota dealers are doing now with their GH. I do not see this with the Mercedes or BMW.
Just throwing this out there--presuming the 550h+ comes in around $80k, that gets you into a *very lightly* optioned X7 or GLS. To equip them more or less comparably (more or less, since options aren't a 1:1 between the models), you're looking in the ballpark of $95k for the Germans. They are certainly nicer vehicles than the TX, but you pay a commensurably higher price for how nice they are.
Old 10-02-23, 10:08 AM
zorax2
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to have an LS ultra edition which I loved. What a smooth ride; but every time I brought it to the dealer for regular check-ups it would cost me at least a $1000. It was always we replace the fuel pump at so and so miles or the belts or you name it always replacing something even though working fine. It became frustrating. It made me wonder how reliable these cars actually are if they're replacing everything anyway. Once I noticed a small wire was protruding on the corner of sunscreen that comes up on the rear window and they pulled it out essentially breaking it. I sent Lexus a note and they gave me a $500 certificate to use on future purchases which was used up with the next service. Imagine if every GM or Ford dealership replaced unbroken parts when you went for an oil change that wouldn't work out too well. Finally the air shocks started to go and putting another 4+ K wasn't going to happen. That all said, I wanted to replace it with another Lexus but an SUV but then they came out with this fish-mouth front which I hated so I actually went with a Buick Enclave as I liked the rounded look and it had plenty of room. It also takes regular gas and every time I bring it to the dealer it costs me less than $100 not over a $1000 and have had nothing wrong except rear shock which I replaced both with even better than it came with and still cost me still less than $300. I would like to get another SUV and now I see Lexus ahs changed the front grill to something I like but am not interested in the same engines that are in the Toyota GH and am looking at the 550+ Luxury and was hoping it would be around the 75K mark but looks like it will be way over that. What more, there isn't much selection with interior colors. You get a choice of either black or birch neither I like or want. I have driven MB GLS 450 which is very roomy and luxurious and had plenty of power. The BMW X740i which was also very luxurious but not as roomy as the GLS but I felt handled a bit better. The thing is these cars are not made on the same assembly line as a lower-end version and tweaked up. They are designed and manufactured specifically for that vehicle which I think is a big plus over the TX and for what I think the 550+ Luxury is going to cost I could get that BMW X7 which would certainly be more luxurious and handle better not to mention quieter. Not to forget how the Lexus dealers are going to put a premium over the MSRP like Toyota dealers are doing now with their GH. I do not see this with the Mercedes or BMW.
The premiums to MSRP on the Toyotas (and Lexus) are much more common in parts of the East and West coast. Even on the coasts, not all dealerships do that though some make you include things like tinting, body film, etc.

I'm in the Midwest and our Lexus dealer sells at MSRP without adding on the high margin dealer installed accessories. That being said, our dealer has a lengthy list of buyers and they will go down the list in chronological order to see if you'd like to purchase as TX that is allocated to them. I'm #4 overall on the list at our dealership but we want a TX Luxury White Ext / Black interior and are #1 for that particular combination as an example. It's hard to say when that particular combination may be allocated to them - it could be a month or several months. It pays to check around.
Old 10-02-23, 04:17 PM
kbrod1
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by habu987
Just throwing this out there--presuming the 550h+ comes in around $80k, that gets you into a *very lightly* optioned X7 or GLS. To equip them more or less comparably (more or less, since options aren't a 1:1 between the models), you're looking in the ballpark of $95k for the Germans. They are certainly nicer vehicles than the TX, but you pay a commensurably higher price for how nice they are.
I understand and concur with your statement but when you're going to pay $80K+ for a car I don't think you're concerned with 10K one way or the other especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for some time.
Old 10-03-23, 11:38 PM
kbrod1
10th Gear

Just looked online at the Lexus dealership in Lexington KY they’re selling the 350 luxury for 70,480 a 10K mark-up. There are no add ones with this. They are calling it MSRP+DPH. (Delivery/prep/handling). While a delivery fee is legit and expected with new vehicles the prep and handling is made up and gauging their customers. A quick look online shows some dealers charging even more. Clearly once the 550+ luxury comes out it will be 90K plus with the current dealer games making it completely outclassed by Audi/BMW/Mercedes at those prices.
Old 10-05-23, 07:30 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are right. The TX ix built on an economy car platform, despite all the leather and fancy interior bits the suspension architecture and the transverse engine/FWD platform is a lot to come over at the prices the higher trim levels sell at.
Old 10-06-23, 07:03 AM
zorax2
Rookie

Just looked online at the Lexus dealership in Lexington KY they’re selling the 350 luxury for 70,480 a 10K mark-up. There are no add ones with this. They are calling it MSRP+DPH. (Delivery/prep/handling). While a delivery fee is legit and expected with new vehicles the prep and handling is made up and gauging their customers. A quick look online shows some dealers charging even more. Clearly once the 550+ luxury comes out it will be 90K plus with the current dealer games making it completely outclassed by Audi/BMW/Mercedes at those prices.
I'm curious as to what you mean about a "$10,000 markup"? It looks to me like they are selling the TX350 Luxury at MSRP.

For example, the first TX 350 Luxury at our local dealership is $69,630 plus normal "Delivery, processing and handling fee" of $1,350 for a total sticker price of $70,980 (which will be there selling price with no further markup). Our dealer suggested it's likely that all Luxury models built will be fully loaded with all Lexus options. Some regions may install PIO options which may further increase price.

Last edited by zorax2; 10-06-23 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Change TX350 to TX350 Luxury
Old 10-06-23, 01:44 PM
kbrod1
10th Gear

I don't know where you're looking but on the Lexus corporate site it lists the TX 350 Luxury at 60,950 for front wheel drive and 62,550 for AWD.
Old 10-06-23, 01:53 PM
habu987
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This is going to be highly contingent on your local dealerships. I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region and have a handful of Lexus dealerships within a 50 mile radius. Doing spot checks on the three that already have TXs listed, two have 350s and 500hs listed at MSRP, and the third dealership has what appears to be a $2-3k markup added on to MSRP on its models.
Old 10-06-23, 02:21 PM
kbrod1
10th Gear

By the way, destination fee (delivery fee) should never appear as a separate line item on a new car contract. That's double dipping. It's already included in the MSRP. It will be listed on the Monroney sticker which is the sticker you see on all new cars from the factory. Also there is no such thing as a prep fee as since dealers (All car makes) get their vehicles at a significant discount from MSRP not to mention other incentives they get; the manufacturer expects them to get the vehicle ready for the customer and to charge for that is double dipping as well. The handling fee is yet another bogus attempt to gouge consumers.
Old 10-06-23, 02:42 PM
zorax2
Rookie

Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee (DPH), is as mentioned, a "double dipping" profit center to do ghost markups from MSRP. Technically, it should be part of MSRP but they use DPH to allow the manufacturers to state a lower price for TV ads and other marketing.

Lexus has had DPH on the window stickers for as far back as I can remember. In the "old" days, you could almost always get a discount below MSRP essentially removing the DPH and more (though they'd look at you like you were crazy asking them to singularly remove DPH as if it was a sacrosanct charge). That DPH fee really didn't bother me as long as I could get the total below MSRP + DPH combined.

Today is a different story for most Lexus and Toyota products as in many places it is rare to purchase favored models below MSRP plus DPH and, on the coasts, you may have the pleasure of paying another $2,000 to $10,000 for the privilege of being an early buyer.

Finally, at most dealerships, you're likely stuck with an additional "dealer processing fee" of $250 to $1,000 for them to prepare the documentation for registration, taxes, etc.
The following users liked this post:
RSA_Secure (10-06-23)
Old 10-10-23, 09:55 PM
TheGreenLantern
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Thinking about making the switch from LX 570 as well. Love the LX but interested in the TX 550h+ (no turbo lag + instant throttle with the NA V6 paired with ECVT). One would think that powertrain would be as bulletproof as the 5.7 V8 found in the LX.
Do you (or does anyone else) happen to know if the 550h+ is expected to require premium fuel? I guess we’d only be able to guess based on what that 3.5L V6 has required in the past.

I’m really intrigued by the NA V6 + plug-in hybrid powertrain.
Old 10-11-23, 05:56 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreenLantern
Do you (or does anyone else) happen to know if the 550h+ is expected to require premium fuel? I guess we’d only be able to guess based on what that 3.5L V6 has required in the past.

I’m really intrigued by the NA V6 + plug-in hybrid powertrain.
2024 TX Owner's Manual: *OPEN ON COMPUTER ONLY*
Lexus 2024 TX500h Owner's Manual USA and Canada Only (OM0E169U)

Pages 533 and 539 say that minimum 91 octane fuel (premium) has to be used across the entire TX Lineup
Old 10-13-23, 09:01 AM
ramcanall
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Deliveries happening

I’ve seen three 350 luxury versions in person now. One in blue, black, and grey. They’re sharp overall, but at the price point for the luxury versions it doesn’t match the ‘23 GX luxury version quality (and they’re similarly priced). Understand the buyer is different, but I took my wife to see them and she said even the leather is different, as in less, quality than mine (a GX luxury).

Last edited by ramcanall; 10-13-23 at 12:52 PM. Reason: More info
The following 2 users liked this post by ramcanall:
Julius071 (10-13-23), smithpr2 (10-16-23)
Old 10-13-23, 05:45 PM
captainnem
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
2024 TX Owner's Manual: *OPEN ON COMPUTER ONLY*
Lexus 2024 TX500h Owner's Manual USA and Canada Only (OM0E169U)

Pages 533 and 539 say that minimum 91 octane fuel (premium) has to be used across the entire TX Lineup
Ugh, and a 17.8 Gallon tank for 350 or 17.2 for 500h... So much for 500+ mile range. RX is 17.2 gallons. The X7 is 21.9 gallons.

Last edited by captainnem; 10-13-23 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-16-23, 10:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

I don't know where you're looking but on the Lexus corporate site it lists the TX 350 Luxury at 60,950 for front wheel drive and 62,550 for AWD.
I just watched a Redline Review of the TX hybrid FSport and it topped off at $77K.

Quick Reply: Lexus TX