Dealer added accessories or factory installed options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 11:21 AM
rz1972
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer added accessories or factory installed options?

We are working with our local dealer on a TX purchase. We submitted a build for a TX 350 Luxury with Convenience, Tech and cold weather packages. The dealer came back with a build that includes Lexus Quick Charge Cables, Illuminated Door Sills, Mud Flaps, Door edge guards at a total added cost of just under $1000 (all marked as PIO). He's telling me "that's how the Luxury model is coming from the factory."

Is that true or is the dealer adding to his bottom line?
Old 10-24-23, 08:44 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts

@rz1972 if you ever bought vehicles from Toyota or Lexus, its either you take it or you leave it and pray and wait (could be as long as months).
Old 10-24-23, 10:48 AM
hkochat
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rz1972
We are working with our local dealer on a TX purchase. We submitted a build for a TX 350 Luxury with Convenience, Tech and cold weather packages. The dealer came back with a build that includes Lexus Quick Charge Cables, Illuminated Door Sills, Mud Flaps, Door edge guards at a total added cost of just under $1000 (all marked as PIO). He's telling me "that's how the Luxury model is coming from the factory."

Is that true or is the dealer adding to his bottom line?
I have been purchasing Lexus and Toyota for decades with my exact build configurations until the COVID period. It is my understanding that Toyota Corporation stopped taking special orders from customer submitted build through dealerships.Each dealership will get allocations of number of units and sub-classes with in that model per month basis. They can request the exterior/ interior color combinations and packages but there is no guarantee their next allocation comes with exactly what they asked. They may get very close to what they requested. PIO means Port Installed Options not dealer installed at their dealership. Ask them to show in the window spec sheet from the manufacturer whether they are marked as PIOs nit just verbally. I used to love the old times when you can configure and get exactly what you would like to have in your vehicle. Unfortunately, those days are gone.
The following users liked this post:
Julius071 (10-24-23)
Old 10-25-23, 12:38 PM
rz1972
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info.

Agreed to have the dealer hold the build he sent me and gave him a credit card deposit of $1,000 yesterday. Today he sent me a different build with fewer accessories/options that "should arrive sooner", but it had the 22" wheels. I told him I did not want the 22" wheels and he responded that all Luxury trims come with 22". The original Luxury build he sent me did NOT have 22" wheels so it might be time for me to visit a different dealer. Sales is part of their job, but lying is not.
Old 10-25-23, 02:41 PM
zorax2
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rz1972
Thanks for the info.

Agreed to have the dealer hold the build he sent me and gave him a credit card deposit of $1,000 yesterday. Today he sent me a different build with fewer accessories/options that "should arrive sooner", but it had the 22" wheels. I told him I did not want the 22" wheels and he responded that all Luxury trims come with 22". The original Luxury build he sent me did NOT have 22" wheels so it might be time for me to visit a different dealer. Sales is part of their job, but lying is not.
"Lying" might be a bit strong. I'm also in the same boat as you not wanting 22" wheels.

The dealers are still learning about how Lexus is building / optioning out each TX model. My dealer told me to expect 22" wheels (prior to the TX being released) as nearly every RX350 Luxury that they had been allocated for months had 22" wheels. Based on their knowledge, they expected that to be the case with the TX Luxury trim as well.

As of today, 60.5% of all TX Luxury trims built so far are optioned with 22" wheels. My dealer mentioned the possibility of a wheel swap as 22" wheels are less likely on the other builds and some of those customers would like to have 22" wheels.

I also want a hitch. Hardly any of the Luxury trims are being built as either tow-ready or with a tow hitch. For most people, a local Lexus dealer hitch install will likely be required at around $2,500 IIRC - a big ouch compared to having the factory hitch. I'm from MN so virtually everyone wants a hitch on this type of vehicle for towing boats, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. so it's a real bummer.

Just another perspective before you switch dealers.

Old 10-26-23, 07:42 AM
rz1972
3rd Gear

You're right, maybe that was a little harsh, but speaking in absolutes when reality and facts support otherwise is a problem. Maybe it's more ignorance than lying.

I found this that shows that while a good number of the Luxury builds are coming with 22s there are plenty that do not. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1177766754
Old 11-15-23, 01:21 PM
paroxysym
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julius071
@rz1972 if you ever bought vehicles from Toyota or Lexus, its either you take it or you leave it and pray and wait (could be as long as months).
ill agree with this, especially on the Toyota side- you hope you get one local around the spec you want and go with it. not sure why you cannot "build" one and order..
The following users liked this post:
Julius071 (11-17-23)
Old 01-21-24, 04:48 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Julius071
coming from german cars with the exact opposite mindset (I happened to own used), I can tell you my most recent experience with lexus was exactly this....

Last edited by mhoran89; 01-21-24 at 08:00 PM.