Aftermarket towing hitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 08:45 AM
clinthic
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket towing hitch

Any existing owners (who don't have the factory trailer hitch) researched if anyone is making an aftermarket (hidden) hitch for the TX350 yet?
I'm looking at a TX350 Luxury but it doesn't come with the hitch.
I never really plan to tow anything with it, but I need the receiver for doing a bike rack off the rear.
Old 11-17-23, 03:43 AM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TX350 factory hitch

The hitch is coming for the Luxury and Executive models but be aware the you will loose your toe kick that operates the rear hatch. Wonder if aftermarket hitches do the same thing? But I don’t like how they hang down vs the factory one that is integrated into the bumper.
Old 11-17-23, 04:40 AM
Sullivan
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey! I was in a similar boat when I got my TX350 Luxury. I was surprised it didn't come with a factory trailer hitch too. Anyway, I did some digging, and it seems there are aftermarket options out there for a hidden hitch. I came across a few forums where TX350 owners were discussing this.

One name that popped up was Curt Manufacturing. They apparently have a model that fits well and is pretty stealthy. Some folks mentioned they installed it for their bike racks, just like you're planning to do. It's always good to check reviews and maybe even reach out to people who've already gone this route to get some real-world feedback.

I get the need for that receiver even if you're not planning to tow anything. Bike racks are a game-changer, and having that option is a must. Good luck with your research, and I hope you find the perfect hidden hitch for your TX350!

Old 11-17-23, 04:53 AM
MarcL129
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancherman
The hitch is coming for the Luxury and Executive models but be aware the you will loose your toe kick that operates the rear hatch. Wonder if aftermarket hitches do the same thing? But I don’t like how they hang down vs the factory one that is integrated into the bumper.
We have the luxury with factory tow hitch that’s embedded in the bumper and the toe kick still works. We also needed it for the bike hitch as we won’t be putting bikes in the back like we did her old mini van.
Old 11-21-23, 09:09 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The toe kick still works, to the left of the hitch
Old 12-18-23, 09:20 PM
Heliski01
4th Gear

Default Any hitch progress?

Originally Posted by Sullivan
Hey! I was in a similar boat when I got my TX350 Luxury. I was surprised it didn't come with a factory trailer hitch too. Anyway, I did some digging, and it seems there are aftermarket options out there for a hidden hitch. I came across a few forums where TX350 owners were discussing this.

One name that popped up was Curt Manufacturing. They apparently have a model that fits well and is pretty stealthy. Some folks mentioned they installed it for their bike racks, just like you're planning to do. It's always good to check reviews and maybe even reach out to people who've already gone this route to get some real-world feedback.

I get the need for that receiver even if you're not planning to tow anything. Bike racks are a game-changer, and having that option is a must. Good luck with your research, and I hope you find the perfect hidden hitch for your TX350!
Hi all, has anyone made any progress on this front either by getting an aftermarket hitch installed or having the dealer install one? Does anyone have any links to hitches that are made for the TX? I can’t find anything! It does look like there might be one on the Lexus website but it’s hard to tell if it’s compatible with the TX. I’m concerned that you can’t install an after market unit after I read through the manual where it states that if your car didn’t come with a tow package it’s not meant for towing. I also happened to see on one of the TX listings that did have a tow package that there are some models that supposedly must have the tow package factory installed. That would really stink!
Old 12-19-23, 09:04 AM
clinthic
4th Gear

Ironically I didn't end up getting the TX after all - went with a 2024 BMW X7 instead.
.... and now I'm having to shell out a lot of money to get a stealth hitch installed on the X7 as there are no 'inexpensive' standard hitches available for the X7 either.
Best of luck to you in finding a suitable rack for carrying the bikes!
Old 01-07-24, 01:48 PM
captainnem
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So the factory hitch is embedded in the bumper with a cover?

I would prefer that for a "cleaner" look since I wouldn't use it except to put a luggage carrier.
Old 01-21-24, 07:41 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

hope that is not the case.

Originally Posted by Sullivan

bike rack (activity mount) is 1-1/4 and only accepts 110 lbs. a family's worth of bikes on a rack will exceed that weight. thus the reason I went with a real hitch with a weight capacity of 500lbs.

Originally Posted by MarcL129
We have the luxury with factory tow hitch that’s embedded in the bumper and the toe kick still works. We also needed it for the bike hitch as we won’t be putting bikes in the back like we did her old mini van.
good to hear

Originally Posted by nysupraman
same here...
The following users liked this post:
Rancherman (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 04:58 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Default Toe kick works!!

Originally Posted by nysupraman
  • Great news! Shows you how little info the dealers are getting on these models. I still can’t determine whether the hitch comes with a new panel with an opening or the existing one has to be cut!!
Old 01-22-24, 05:23 PM
RybakT
5th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming the OEM TX tow hitch will be the same as the Grand Highlander, the main difference will be the bumper facial with the cutout for the hitch to match the TX design. Just like this GH install video...

Rancherman (03-11-24)
Old 01-22-24, 05:36 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Default TX hitch

Originally Posted by RybakT
I'm assuming the OEM TX tow hitch will be the same as the Grand Highlander, the main difference will be the bumper facial with the cutout for the hitch to match the TX design. Just like this GH install video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFduYMJCkXs&t=17s
awesome. Thanks!
Old 03-11-24, 04:47 AM
Maelo
9th Gear

Default Curt #13519

After an exhausting search I found the Curt #13519 that fits perfectly. When I say perfectly, I mean it will take 15 minutes to install alone. Keep in mind that I had never done this this. See the videos below.

Part I

Part II

incredible. Happy hitching.
Rancherman (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 06:33 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Maelo
After an exhausting search I found the Curt #13519 that fits perfectly. When I say perfectly, I mean it will take 15 minutes to install alone. Keep in mind that I had never done this this. See the videos below.

Part I
https://youtu.be/yVMEp1V2d4s?si=eeOTfwRD3CMrZTiW

Part II
https://youtu.be/aVMt3QmtEdI?si=57hk_loE32lh2jIg

incredible. Happy hitching.
did you figure out the wiring with this? that would be my qualm. the physical hitch seems really straightforward though...
roque (06-10-24)
Old 03-11-24, 06:38 AM
Maelo
9th Gear

No. It's for a bike so I didn't have to mess with it. I'm sure that a hitch place will figure it out. Still a great find.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket towing hitch