Mark Levinson sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 01:29 PM
domogram
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before folks go spending extra money on replacing part, I would encourage everyone to reach out to Lexus directly with your displeasure and experience. The more voices they hear the more likely they are to resolve this. In speaking at length with a tech at the dealership there would likely be a software tuning fix with the DSP that Lexus "could" do. Again, the more folks they hear from, the more likely there is to be action: https://support.lexus.com/s/questions-comments select Multimedia Tech > Other for topic > sub-topic. I've had several calls with Lexis directly and they have been responsive (at least to listening and engaging with the complaints) and provided a path to also submit a more formal issue with Lexus as a result of the above path.
The following 2 users liked this post by domogram:
Fsport19 (05-31-24), tran13 (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 08:02 AM
nhwnhw
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my Lexus TX 350 with the ML sound system for about a month now, and I am experiencing all of the same problems. There is no fullness or richness to the sound, and it always sounds like the only sound is coming out of the speaker in the middle of the dashboard. You can barely hear anything coming out of any of the other speakers. This is so disappointing. I have never had a car audio system that sounded this poorly, and especially on a luxury vehicle with a supposedly upgraded system. This is my first Lexus and most likely my last. Is there a place to file an official complaint with Lexus?
Old 04-24-24, 08:06 AM
nhwnhw
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by domogram
Before folks go spending extra money on replacing part, I would encourage everyone to reach out to Lexus directly with your displeasure and experience. The more voices they hear the more likely they are to resolve this. In speaking at length with a tech at the dealership there would likely be a software tuning fix with the DSP that Lexus "could" do. Again, the more folks they hear from, the more likely there is to be action: https://support.lexus.com/s/questions-comments select Multimedia Tech > Other for topic > sub-topic. I've had several calls with Lexis directly and they have been responsive (at least to listening and engaging with the complaints) and provided a path to also submit a more formal issue with Lexus as a result of the above path.
I am definitely going to reach out to them. This is completely unacceptable. Thank you for the information.
Old 04-24-24, 10:01 PM
Tezrex
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Line output converter tapped into the subwoofer line, aftermarket amp and subwoofer will go a long way . i have many of the same complaints in my 17 RX350. Missing low end bass, too center dash heavy, not immersed in the music.

I'm gutting everything. Only factory head unit and center dash speaker left for driving functions. Everything else aftermarket and completely independent.

Last edited by Tezrex; 04-24-24 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-25-24, 06:02 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tezrex
Line output converter tapped into the subwoofer line, aftermarket amp and subwoofer will go a long way . i have many of the same complaints in my 17 RX350. Missing low end bass, too center dash heavy, not immersed in the music.

I'm gutting everything. Only factory head unit and center dash speaker left for driving functions. Everything else aftermarket and completely independent.
gutting everything on your 2017 RX or a new TX?

personally I think the system is good (not great). are people using high quality streaming services or complaining about the quality through FM radio still?
Old 04-25-24, 11:26 AM
Tezrex
9th Gear

Originally Posted by mhoran89
gutting everything on your 2017 RX or a new TX?

personally I think the system is good (not great). are people using high quality streaming services or complaining about the quality through FM radio still?
17 Rx.

My factory Sony system in my previous vehicle, 2013 Ford F150 sounded MUCH better. I have a very discerning ear, and ML is very lackluster to say the least. I’m running Tidal/Qobuz via USB, so the best audio quality files and transmission available. CDs as well.

Don’t get me started on FM, it is absolutely horrible.

A Lexus should have a great sounding system, not something that belongs in a Toyota from 1999.
Old 04-25-24, 11:46 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

17 Rx.

My factory Sony system in my previous vehicle, 2013 Ford F150 sounded MUCH better. I have a very discerning ear, and ML is very lackluster to say the least. I’m running Tidal/Qobuz via USB, so the best audio quality files and transmission available. CDs as well.

Don’t get me started on FM, it is absolutely horrible.

A Lexus should have a great sounding system, not something that belongs in a Toyota from 1999.
I would rather put on an expensive pair of headphones if I want a great experience. each to their own... best of luck with your project.
Old 04-25-24, 03:15 PM
Tezrex
9th Gear

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I would rather put on an expensive pair of headphones if I want a great experience. each to their own... best of luck with your project.
while driving? sounds like potentially dangerous idea. Nothing beats a good car audio system in my opinion. especially an SUV where the subwoofer is in the cabin with you. The ability to "feel" your music is unparalleled
Old 04-26-24, 09:05 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

while driving? sounds like potentially dangerous idea. Nothing beats a good car audio system in my opinion. especially an SUV where the subwoofer is in the cabin with you. The ability to "feel" your music is unparalleled
no, not while driving. a good audio system is appreciated but for a real listening experience, nothing will beat a serious pair of headphones with an amp or better yet some big loudspeakers in a quiet room with your favorite CD and a pair of tube amplifiers. I have heard it all and don't expect my car to be audiophile level outstanding regardless of the brand of vehicle or who that brand partnered with for the sound system...
Old 04-29-24, 10:16 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Exactly my thoughts too.
The following users liked this post:
Fsport19 (05-31-24)
Old 04-29-24, 10:25 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Illegal in most jurisdictions...
Old 05-01-24, 07:10 AM
Libbing
4th Gear

Agree the ML sound system is terrible. Its like all the sound comes out of the windshield and nothing "surround". Mine has also glitched a couple of times where all the sound comes out of the speakers on the front doors - it only lasted a few moments but it highlighted how little sound comes out of those speakers during normal play. This might be the worst sound I've had in any luxury car (maybe any car in a couple of decades). Between that and the stupid low gas mileage (misrepresented by Lexus) and the ridiculous cost of adding a hitch, this car has been really disappointing
Rancherman (05-30-24)
Old 05-01-24, 08:56 AM
zorax2
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by domogram
Done. Thank you for the link.

Here is what I sent:

The Mark Levinson audio system is awful from a bass frequency perspective - especially as compared to all my other vehicles that have had ML audio.I believe ML tuned it as a completely flat response which does not reflect how people hear. It is impossible to get reasonable bass from this system until high volumes. Please research Munson-Fletcher or Harman Curve to understand this. I really hope there can be a software fix or some other way to get proper bass response.
The following 2 users liked this post by zorax2:
Rancherman (05-30-24), tran13 (05-03-24)
Old 05-30-24, 09:12 AM
Stu1234
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tried both systems

The base stereo is much better, not sure why the Levinson sucks, but it does big time.
Rancherman (05-30-24)
Old 05-31-24, 10:23 PM
Tezrex
9th Gear

Originally Posted by zorax2
Done. Thank you for the link.

Here is what I sent:

The Mark Levinson audio system is awful from a bass frequency perspective…. I really hope there can be a software fix or some other way to get proper bass response.
audiocontrol line output converter. Jl audio 12w6 and 800w alpine amp solved my bass issue😂
zorax2 (06-01-24)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson sound system