Mark Levinson sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-24, 06:15 AM
rutabox
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, this option falls way short of my expectations. I can upgrade the music source and fade to improve the separation (which one does on any system to customize to preference) but I think this does not sound great, and barely ok for the money. I feel raising the issue to Lexus might improve our chances of a software update and at least they revise this system in new model years. And beware to new buyers to not buy the system if they are audiophiles. Poor sales on this feature with bad reviews is what's needed for change. I personally won't swop out components on such a new car... Perhaps in a few years after I have scratches and dents and miles on the ODO.
Old 07-17-24, 06:19 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rutabox
Yes, this option falls way short of my expectations. I can upgrade the music source and fade to improve the separation (which one does on any system to customize to preference) but I think this does not sound great, and barely ok for the money. I feel raising the issue to Lexus might improve our chances of a software update and at least they revise this system in new model years. And beware to new buyers to not buy the system if they are audiophiles. Poor sales on this feature with bad reviews is what's needed for change. I personally won't swop out components on such a new car... Perhaps in a few years after I have scratches and dents and miles on the ODO.
I think they just didn't put enough speakers in the rear doors and didn't tune it right. a better sub/enclosure would help as well. not sure what else to do other than tear apart a 70K car and put new drivers in with an amp and DSP which is not worth it to me...
Old 07-18-24, 05:18 PM
SameCar77
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried everything to no avail

I agree! This is my 2nd Mark Levinson and it is horrible in comparison to the other one. I had an F Sport Mark Levinson(maybe 5 years ago) and the sound was amazing. Two weeks ago I bought a 2013 Lux Mark Levinson and the sound isn't even comparable to the other RX350''s that weren't ML. The car has been in the shop for 4 of the 14 days that I've had it because the speakers just turn off. I NEVER use carplay with my RX's because it never worked properly. I use my USB cord exclusively, and once the speaker goes out you cannot play FM or XM radio. You have to turn the car off and then back on to get the music to work again. My dealer (bought 8 cars over 2 decades from the same location) said they did an update and it works now. I've had the car back for two days and today the speakers cut out again. But I guess I should be happy that this time the GPS didn't go out like last time. The sound is tinny and randomly turns down and then back up. I reached out to the dealership after having the car for three days and they said I have no recourse outside of trading this one in, taking the loss and buying another. So they offered to *fix", and after two days I'm back to square one. So I listen to my music through my phone while driving my new Lexus. Lexus has always been behind the times with technology (GPS, Bluetooth...) and I've dealt with it over 8 cars (because the ride, tires, dependability, traction in snow...) but NO MUSIC and inconsiderate GPS... I'm screwed.

Originally Posted by Bluemus
I have to say that I'm disappointed by how poor the sound quality is with the ML system, for my preferences. It sounds very tinny to me and frankly irritating to the point that I'm not sure I'm going to be able live with the sound. The Sony system in my prior Ford Explorer was considerably better. This is a disappointing downgrade for us. It's almost as if no one checked the sound while building the system. Doesn't make any sense...

The only way I can tolerate the sound is by turning the treble all the way down, the mid one notch from the bottom, the bass a couple of notches from the top, and shifting the balance a couple of notches to the back of the car as was suggested above, but I still find the sound annoying.

Frustrated... This is my first Lexus. Does Lexus ever release software updates that include updates to EQ settings? I'm not sure if more flexibility with the EQ would help.

Update 1:
​​​​​​I just tried playing music from my phone where I can use my phone apps' equalizer and the sound is way better. Lexus needs to fix the EQ in the ML system. Still not enough base, but definitely better.

Update 2:
Here are the equalizer settings that my wife and I applied in our Samsung phone settings in case this is helpful for anyone else to see, appreciating that everyone's listening preferences are different.

Old 07-21-24, 12:20 PM
SameCar77
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by domogram
Before folks go spending extra money on replacing part, I would encourage everyone to reach out to Lexus directly with your displeasure and experience. The more voices they hear the more likely they are to resolve this. In speaking at length with a tech at the dealership there would likely be a software tuning fix with the DSP that Lexus "could" do. Again, the more folks they hear from, the more likely there is to be action: https://support.lexus.com/s/questions-comments select Multimedia Tech > Other for topic > sub-topic. I've had several calls with Lexis directly and they have been responsive (at least to listening and engaging with the complaints) and provided a path to also submit a more formal issue with Lexus as a result of the above path.

Thanks for the support link, just submitted my issue. Taking my ML 2024 RX350 for the second time and haven't owned it a month yet. Speakers (and occasionally GPS) go out.
Old 07-21-24, 03:11 PM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
while I agree with you, most of the speakers are in the front and when you bias the fader to the rear is sounds a little more balanced, it then just doesn't sound any better overall...
I agree with the above. If I fade the sound to the back, I get better balance, but it comes at the expense of base (which is already sacrificed by the system) and general fullness of the sound, so overall, I prefer keeping the balance in the middle even though it sounds like all the sound comes from the front.

I really can't get over how badly they botched this system and continue to hope Lexus will somehow make the system sound better or offer to replace the system because it's clearly a dud.
Old 07-22-24, 11:03 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemus
I agree with the above. If I fade the sound to the back, I get better balance, but it comes at the expense of base (which is already sacrificed by the system) and general fullness of the sound, so overall, I prefer keeping the balance in the middle even though it sounds like all the sound comes from the front.

I really can't get over how badly they botched this system and continue to hope Lexus will somehow make the system sound better or offer to replace the system because it's clearly a dud.
thanks for your input and agreeing.

unfortunately I don't think Lexus is going to replace anything. a software update might even be a stretch. the brand as a whole has had their audio fall off compared to prior years but overall the car is really nice so I have very few complaints.
Old 07-22-24, 03:33 PM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I don’t even use the sound system.

if I’m listening to something it’s with an AirPod in one ear.
Old 07-29-24, 11:05 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89

unfortunately I don't think Lexus is going to replace anything. a software update might even be a stretch. the brand as a whole has had their audio fall off compared to prior years but overall the car is really nice so I have very few complaints.
The ML was definitely my biggest let down but that was an easy fix and I love the TX as well. Checks all our boxes and then some and the price point is low too.