500h disappointing MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 06:11 AM
Grinder34
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by franksav
i totally agree i had the nx hybrid and was at 27.5 which was a little low to marketing but only by .5 mpg. I am getting 368 to a full tank its saying 24/25 mpg on the gauge yet the calculation to the 17.2 gallon tank is more like 20.4 im calling immediately to thw corporate office
You need to do calculations based on how much gas you're actually putting in -- its nowhere near the full 17 gal the tank can hold. If you're adding ~14 gallons then you're up to 26 mpg
Old 04-19-24, 08:12 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by franksav
i totally agree i had the nx hybrid and was at 27.5 which was a little low to marketing but only by .5 mpg. I am getting 368 to a full tank its saying 24/25 mpg on the gauge yet the calculation to the 17.2 gallon tank is more like 20.4 im calling immediately to thw corporate office
see post below and see my reply below that.

Originally Posted by Grinder34
You need to do calculations based on how much gas you're actually putting in -- its nowhere near the full 17 gal the tank can hold. If you're adding ~14 gallons then you're up to 26 mpg
exactly, I am learning this now and have shared my experience below.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/tx-...and-range.html
Old 04-26-24, 08:53 PM
Beezballnut
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issues here

At 1800 miles, I am having the same issues. My mpg isn’t as bad, but at 24 mpg it is still lower than what it should be. I am also having an issue with not being able to put more than 13 gallons of gas in the tank when the gauges say it’s empty. I took the car to the dealer and the technician said this is an issue known to Lexus and they are working on a solution. He said that gas tanks have been sent in to test the capacity but he has not heard the results. They are also looking at the sensors and the possibility of a software update. He said that because the issue involves the fuel system, all solutions need to be reviewed by the EPA. So it is unlikely that any solution (even a simple software update) would be available to the dealers before the end of the summer. He said it is not recommended to drive the car much past empty since it is not known if that would trip another sensor and cause other issues. This is beyond frustrating since I drive a lot and have to stop often to fill up. I didn’t think I would have these issues with a Lexus.
Old 04-27-24, 11:43 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Beezballnut
At 1800 miles, I am having the same issues. My mpg isn’t as bad, but at 24 mpg it is still lower than what it should be. I am also having an issue with not being able to put more than 13 gallons of gas in the tank when the gauges say it’s empty. I took the car to the dealer and the technician said this is an issue known to Lexus and they are working on a solution. He said that gas tanks have been sent in to test the capacity but he has not heard the results. They are also looking at the sensors and the possibility of a software update. He said that because the issue involves the fuel system, all solutions need to be reviewed by the EPA. So it is unlikely that any solution (even a simple software update) would be available to the dealers before the end of the summer. He said it is not recommended to drive the car much past empty since it is not known if that would trip another sensor and cause other issues. This is beyond frustrating since I drive a lot and have to stop often to fill up. I didn’t think I would have these issues with a Lexus.
When our LX 570 says refuel (DTE 0 miles) I can pump 20 gallons into its 24 gallon tank. There’s a reserve just like all(?) other Toyota/Lexus models. Hopefully it’s that and fill up issue.
Old 04-28-24, 09:32 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My TX350 has a similar issue except I now know that when the pump kicks off of auto, there is consistently room to slowly put in 10 more litres / 2 US gallons. I check this each time I fill up.
The following users liked this post:
sheetmetalfab (04-28-24)
Old 04-28-24, 09:37 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My TX350 is averaging combined 10.5 l/100km or 22-23 mpg US.
The following users liked this post:
sheetmetalfab (04-28-24)
Old 05-01-24, 07:04 AM
Libbing
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same experience here. MPG is super disappointing a feels unethical by Lexus. I've had two hybrids and a full electric vehicle and know all about driving to maximize mileage. This vehicle is terrible for that.

1) no matter what I do I can't get past 24; on average I'm in the 21 - 23

2) the reported MPG (stated above) is not even correct - I tested it with two tanks and just did the math and the car is overstating the MPG by 0.5 - 1.0 MPG

3) I ran the tank to zero miles remaining and got 14 gallons in it. According to Lexus service, there is a 2.6 gallon reserve. But they also say the tank is supposed to be 17.2 gallons. So there is still almost a gallon missing from all this math ... WTF???!!

I like how the car drives etc but i would not have bought this were it not for the misleading mileage data. Shame on Lexus. Probably the last time I will buy something from them.
Old 06-03-24, 11:00 AM
eamundso
4th Gear

Default Consistently poor MPG on TX 500h

Old 06-03-24, 11:02 AM
eamundso
4th Gear

Default Consistently Poor mpg on TX 500h

We’ve had our TX 500h for 6 weeks and we have 1800 miles on it. With a mixture of interstate and city driving, we’ve been unable to get more than 300 miles on 15 gallons(less than 20 mpg). We’ve kept it in eco mode and are not aggressive drivers. We’re very disappointed. This is approximately the same mpg we got with city driving in the non-hybrid 2018 V6 Honda Odyssey we replaced. Yesterday, the TX had to be towed to our dealer due to an inability to shift out of park when attempting to leave the grocery parking lot and numerous dash warnings including:
hybrid system malfunction-see ownder’s manual
shift system malfunction-see owner’s manual
system malfunction- visit your dealer
drive-start control malfunction-visit your dealer
12-volt battery charging system malfunction-see owner’s manual

I hope that we don’t have a lemon. This is likely the 1st and last time we buy a Lexus.
Old 06-03-24, 12:03 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eamundso
We’ve had our TX 500h for 6 weeks and we have 1800 miles on it. With a mixture of interstate and city driving, we’ve been unable to get more than 300 miles on 15 gallons(less than 20 mpg). We’ve kept it in eco mode and are not aggressive drivers. We’re very disappointed. This is approximately the same mpg we got with city driving in the non-hybrid 2018 V6 Honda Odyssey we replaced. Yesterday, the TX had to be towed to our dealer due to an inability to shift out of park when attempting to leave the grocery parking lot and numerous dash warnings including:

I hope that we don’t have a lemon. This is likely the 1st and last time we buy a Lexus.
I doubt you bought a lemon, however it doesn't take away from the frustration of having to get a brand new car towed. sorry about this. my car took well over 6000 miles to really settle in with decent MPG and break in. have you made sure the tire pressures are where they are supposed to be? are you using premium fuel? keep us posted and best of luck.
Old 06-03-24, 04:16 PM
eamundso
4th Gear

Thank you for replying. Yes. Tire pressure is 38 psi cold and we use premium fuel. I hope our mpg improves with mileage.
Old 06-04-24, 07:26 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eamundso

we bought the 1st generation TX, and it will cost us something. I previously bought 1st generation Subaru Crosstrek, and 2nd generation came out way better than 1st gen. So after some years 2nd generation TX will come out way better than our 1st generation TX.
Old 06-05-24, 06:56 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hyunwoo198
we bought the 1st generation TX, and it will cost us something. I previously bought 1st generation Subaru Crosstrek, and 2nd generation came out way better than 1st gen. So after some years 2nd generation TX will come out way better than our 1st generation TX.
yes and no. what makes you think toyota/lexus put out an unreliable vehicle for the first generation? new cars are sold with warranties for a reason. I am not sure why you are such a glass half empty person.
Old 06-05-24, 08:08 AM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
yes and no. what makes you think toyota/lexus put out an unreliable vehicle for the first generation? new cars are sold with warranties for a reason. I am not sure why you are such a glass half empty person.
I am not saying its unreliable. I am not sure what make you saying I am a glass half empty person. All manufacturers' get feedback from 1st generation owners, make improvements, and come up with 2nd generation. And same for 3rd generation and on and on. All manufacturer put warranties so that customers can buy with confidence. And currently Toyota and other Japanese car manufacturers just got caught cheating on data, including Lexus RX and Toyota Corolla, so it is reasonable to say its reputation are cracking rapidly.

Last edited by hyunwoo198; 06-05-24 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-05-24, 10:11 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hyunwoo198
I am not saying its unreliable. I am not sure what make you saying I am a glass half empty person. All manufacturers' get feedback from 1st generation owners, make improvements, and come up with 2nd generation. And same for 3rd generation and on and on. All manufacturer put warranties so that customers can buy with confidence. And currently Toyota and other Japanese car manufacturers just got caught cheating on data, including Lexus RX and Toyota Corolla, so it is reasonable to say its reputation are cracking rapidly.
I am not here to argue this out. Every MFG has cheated somewhere on something along the way. Look at VAG and diesel gate. Toyota and Lexus stand among the most reliable automotive brands in the world. I would choose your words carefully because "cracking" seems pretty aggressive. Let's stick to MPG on this thread...

Quick Reply: 500h disappointing MPG