Lexus TX 350 Dash Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 08:04 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I am kind of surprised they did not wire in the digital rearview mirror into the dashcam to accept a rear video feed so you essentially could have front and rear coverage with one device... now that would be cool.
Old 02-20-24, 08:32 AM
Charleshua
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I am kind of surprised they did not wire in the digital rearview mirror into the dashcam to accept a rear video feed so you essentially could have front and rear coverage with one device... now that would be cool.
Toyota is always very conservative to adopt new technology. More electronics means riskier reliability, which is definitely not what they want. If you don’t want to tab into the fuse box, you can buy a ODB2 port power supply for dashcam on Amazon, simple plug and play
Old 02-20-24, 10:25 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Charleshua
Toyota is always very conservative to adopt new technology. More electronics means riskier reliability, which is definitely not what they want. If you don’t want to tab into the fuse box, you can buy a ODB2 port power supply for dashcam on Amazon, simple plug and play
first time here with anything personally from toyota/lexus and I do kind of see what you mean. I will say my last German cars seemed to be ahead of their time with the technology/features depending on the trim level and what you were willing to spend with them...
Old 02-20-24, 02:59 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

I used the OB2 port to power the dashcam in my (non-Lexus) car and it works fine.
Old 03-07-24, 10:52 AM
Grinder34
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RybakT
I installed the OEM Lexus Dashcam. Installation was very easy. I was going to connect to via the digital mirror utilizing a wire harness, but I found an open connector above the interior lights.

What does it take to get that trim off? Just a firm tug and those 4 yellow tabs keep it in place? Or is there more to it than that?
The following users liked this post:
ForumGenius (05-13-24)
Old 03-08-24, 02:37 PM
Grinder34
Driver School Candidate

I ended up doing a more traditional fuse-box install instead of tapping in the rear view mirror. Pictures attached for reference. Used lots of extra wire as an improptu-fish-tape.

Its super easy to push wire into headliner over to a pillar. Then across a pillar trim, down weather seal, and into footwell. Rear camera ran at base of headliner. Only "tricky" bit was trying to fish through the OEM wire grommets. Not having the right tools didnt help.

Pull wire across a pillar

Down weatherseal

And across into footwell

Had to pry the trim off

Wires being used as fish-tape 1) from trim over to grommet (under headliner) 2) through that grommet/tube 3) from grommet/tube up to windshield

wires all pulled

Installed
Old 03-10-24, 12:30 AM
WhiteTX350
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Grinder34
What does it take to get that trim off? Just a firm tug and those 4 yellow tabs keep it in place? Or is there more to it than that?
Same question. Also, is it necessary to also purchase the wire harness kit or not?
Old 03-28-24, 07:33 PM
unknownone
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With this install, can you tell me which fuses you tapped into for the accessory and constant 12V? I am thinking about doing this as well.

I dont have the rearview mirror as an option so I dont have that fuse. I am considering the USB fuses for accessory 12v but not sure about constant yet. I am looking to install a 2 channel dashcam instead of using the OEM one.

Last edited by unknownone; 03-28-24 at 10:05 PM. Reason: adding additional details
Old 03-28-24, 08:17 PM
WhiteTX350
10th Gear

Originally Posted by unknownone;[url=tel:11696917
11696917[/url]]With this install, can you tell me which fuses you tapped into for the accessory and constant 12V? I am thinking about doing this as well.

I dont have the rearview mirror as an option so I dont have that fuse. I am considering the USB fuses for accessory 12v but not sure about constant yet.
I’m assuming you’re not installing the OEM integrated dash cam?

also, if anyone has installed the integrated dash cam, can someone confirm whether the additional wire harness would still be needed?
Old 03-29-24, 01:39 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry New TX DashCam 2.0

I thought when the dashcam finally arrived it would resemble yours and sit on the left side of the mirror. But to my surprise it was nothing like that, it blows my mind. You be the judge per the pictures. The original like yours had three buttons. This one has none. Already lost an hour trying to figure out the basics...wouldn't connect, disconnected iPhone CarPlay and had to readd that device, comes with a 16gb card!! Oh by the way did i mention an 80 page manual to operate it!! So it goes without saying that I have no idea if it does work well!!!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus TX 350 Dash Cam Install-dashcam-20-1.jpg   Lexus TX 350 Dash Cam Install-dashcam-20-2.jpg   Lexus TX 350 Dash Cam Install-dashcam-20-3.jpg  
Old 03-29-24, 01:51 PM
Grinder34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rancherman
I thought when the dashcam finally arrived it would resemble yours and sit on the left side of the mirror. But to my surprise it was nothing like that, it blows my mind. You be the judge per the pictures. The original like yours had three buttons. This one has none. Already lost an hour trying to figure out the basics...wouldn't connect, disconnected iPhone CarPlay and had to readd that device, comes with a 16gb card!! Oh by the way did i mention an 80 page manual to operate it!! So it goes without saying that I have no idea if it does work well!!!
Well the body *looks* like a Blackvue, just Lexus branded. If so, the quality should be better than the other Lexus one. I agree, though, its strange that it looks nothing like the advertised option:

The following users liked this post:
Rancherman (03-29-24)
Old 04-01-24, 08:13 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Originally Posted by Grinder34
Well the body *looks* like a Blackvue, just Lexus branded. If so, the quality should be better than the other Lexus one. I agree, though, its strange that it looks nothing like the advertised option:

I spent a few hours this past weekend trying to get this to work and the connectivity is terrible. It won’t connect then it does connect then doesn’t connect. Then when it does connect and you try to download a video, then half way through it loses the wifi and asks to continue on cell service. At the same time it kicks the iPhone out of CarPlay and the phone won’t reconnect. Stop and start the vehicle to reboot and no change. Finally have to go and while driving listen to my calls through the speaker phone. No one has received training on it so they don’t know what to do. I really wanted this to work and seamlessly as OEM products do but it doesn’t. So I called the dealer and they are going to remove it. So that’s three things…a crappy sounding M-L music system, no trailer hitch and a a dysfunctional dash cam. So disappointed in Lexus.
Old 04-02-24, 06:58 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

I spent a few hours this past weekend trying to get this to work and the connectivity is terrible. It won’t connect then it does connect then doesn’t connect. Then when it does connect and you try to download a video, then half way through it loses the wifi and asks to continue on cell service. At the same time it kicks the iPhone out of CarPlay and the phone won’t reconnect. Stop and start the vehicle to reboot and no change. Finally have to go and while driving listen to my calls through the speaker phone. No one has received training on it so they don’t know what to do. I really wanted this to work and seamlessly as OEM products do but it doesn’t. So I called the dealer and they are going to remove it. So that’s three things…a crappy sounding M-L music system, no trailer hitch and a a dysfunctional dash cam. So disappointed in Lexus.
someone here has installed an aftermarket trailer hitch for pretty cheap. there is a thread on it...
Old 04-02-24, 09:04 AM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mhoran89!
Old 04-02-24, 10:40 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Thanks mhoran89!
no problem.