Snow cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 11:45 AM
echen10
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow cables

The instruction manual states to not use snow chains on this car and to only use snow tires. However, my problem is living in Los Angeles, snow tires are not practical. It takes several hour drive to get to the snow, and once we are there, we are only in the snow for a few days.

My question is if snow cables are safe to use and if so, which tires to put them on for an AWD TX (22 inch wheels)? I realize that many people are gonna say that AWD does not need snow chains/cables, however the state of CA requires them in heavy snow, unless you have snow tires on your AWD vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 01-18-24, 02:52 PM
Rob43
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I can tell, the SCC ZT747 part number is the correct size. But I'd still tell you to confirm with SCC's tech line for piece of mind.

Amazon Amazon

Rob43

Last edited by Rob43; 01-18-24 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-19-24, 06:19 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

An alternative would be something like Michelin CrossClimates. I needed a solution for a winter trip to Germany and Switzerland, where either snow chains or winter tyres were mandatory. I got the CrossClimates, as they're officially rated for snow, and also took chains. Despite therre being quite deep snow in some places I never needed the chains. In the two years I've had the tyres the rest of the time has been in conditions ranging from cold weather and rain, to very hot summers, and the tyres have been great.

There are other makes of all weather tyres, with the rated for snow symbol on them, but I don't have experience of them to comment.
Old 01-21-24, 04:55 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

winter tires or bust. just ordered a tirerack package with Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-2 tires. I have ran these before on a Q7 and they were great.
Old 01-21-24, 05:08 PM
Rob43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mhoran89
winter tires or bust. just ordered a tirerack package with Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-2 tires. I have ran these before on a Q7 and they were great.
How much did you spend on your wheel n tire combo?

Rob43
Old 01-21-24, 05:13 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rob43
How much did you spend on your wheel n tire combo?

Rob43
$2000. they are 18 inch wheels with 255/65/18 tires. optioned them with another full set of TPMS as well. they were from www.tirerack.com
Old 01-21-24, 07:16 PM
Rob43
Driver School Candidate

$2000. they are 18 inch wheels with 255/65/18 tires. optioned them with another full set of TPMS as well. they were from www.tirerack.com
That's good, because the 18x8 with the 255/65-18 is the wheel and tire that come standard on the base models of the Grand Highlander.

I've been looking at 18" used alloy wheels and new snow tires with no TPMS at ~$1100 to ~$1200 for the last 10 days, but won't pull the trigger until I place my order for a TX.

Rob43
Old 01-21-24, 07:34 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

That's good, because the 18x8 with the 255/65-18 is the wheel and tire that come standard on the base models of the Grand Highlander.

I've been looking at 18" used alloy wheels and new snow tires with no TPMS at ~$1100 to ~$1200 for the last 10 days, but won't pull the trigger until I place my order for a TX.

Rob43
I am excited to share a platform with another mass produced car unlike my Q7. that was cousins with the lambo urus, bentley bentayga, and the porsche cayenne.

how are you "ordering one"? seems to me like lexus dealers don't like going out of their way to order cars any more. saw a similar experience when I helped a friend buy a rav4 hybrid last summer...
Old 01-21-24, 07:55 PM
Rob43
Driver School Candidate

....how are you "ordering one"? seems to me like lexus dealers don't like going out of their way to order cars any more. saw a similar experience when I helped a friend buy a rav4 hybrid last summer...
Ordering one = buying one. My only want/need is getting a trailer hitch, I'll let my wife pick the color...

Rob43
Old 01-21-24, 07:59 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Ordering one = buying one. My only want/need is getting a trailer hitch, I'll let my wife pick the color...

Rob43
gotcha. I wanted blue but I couldn't find one and was not patient enough... I settled for white but got everything else I wanted...
The following users liked this post:
Rob43 (01-21-24)
Old 01-31-24, 10:30 AM
snohman82
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for pointing me to this thread Rob43. The cables you mentioned above don't seem to fit for the 255/55/20 tires the TX 350 Premium has. I went and ordered the
SCC Z-579 version SCC Z-579 version
instead - will report back on fit.

I am also in SoCal and only need these in case there is enough snow/ice on the roads up to Big Bear as well. Snow tires are impractical for the price and use for us.
Old 01-31-24, 01:59 PM
Rob43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snohman82
Thanks for pointing me to this thread Rob43. The cables you mentioned above don't seem to fit for the 255/55/20 tires the TX 350 Premium has. I went and ordered the SCC Z-579 version instead - will report back on fit.

I am also in SoCal and only need these in case there is enough snow/ice on the roads up to Big Bear as well. Snow tires are impractical for the price and use for us.
Congrats, out of all the similar but different styles of SCC cable chain products, you picked the very best one!

I just looked up the size you bought and it will perfectly fit your tires, of course when in doubt always call the companies tech line. Here are two important tips for you:

1) Watch a video or two made by SCC, the sequence of how you install your cable chains is very important for easy installation.

2) Install the cables yourself on Both tires while you're at home in sunny/warm conditions so you get an understanding of the product, because the next time will most likely be in the snow.

Rob43

Old 01-31-24, 02:25 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

other option is to go with an "all-weather" tire that is 3PMS rated. something like a cross climate from michelin, vredstein quatrac pro (spelling), nokian WRG3/4, etc. another option would be to go with a performance snow tire which has much improved road manners but will serve you better than an "all-weather tire" but not as good as a true snow tire. best of luck.
Old 02-05-24, 09:39 PM
echen10
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. For an AWD vehicle, I have heard you only need to put chains on the front wheels. However a few people say to only put them on the rear wheels. I know it’s best to put them on all four, but if I had to choose only two, which is better, front or rear?
Old 02-05-24, 10:26 PM
Rob43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by echen10
Thanks for all the replies. For an AWD vehicle, I have heard you only need to put chains on the front wheels. However a few people say to only put them on the rear wheels. I know it’s best to put them on all four, but if I had to choose only two, which is better, front or rear?
The below quote shows that most of the time the front wheels on your AWD system are receiving 75% of the power. Then as traction deteriorates, it will shift power to a 50/50 F/R split or somewhere in-between.

"The available electronically controlled full-time AWD system constantly varies the front-to-rear driving force distribution from 75:25 to 50:50 (depending on situation) to achieve a confident and refined driving experience."

Based on this, I'd mount them on the Front wheels.

BTW, post up some good install pics...

Rob43

Quick Reply: Snow cables