oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 01:26 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default oil change interval

OCI is 10k miles on the lexus 2.4L turbo. OCI is 5k on the toyota 2.4L turbo as far as I can tell. are people trusting the 10k OCIs even with a relatively small oil capacity of 5.6 quarts or so? I am coming from german with 10k OCIs where I changed it every 5k anyways.

I was thinking 7500 miles but would like to know other's experiences with lexus and OCIs and longevity. and I know oil changes are a lot cheaper than new engines...
Old 01-23-24, 02:27 PM
Rob43
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a long history in German cars, so I hear you...

Also I'm an occasional reader on the oil forum "Bobistheoilguy", having said this I'd go with earlier (you pick the mileage) oil changes. I used to believe that a ~10K mile oil change was acceptable, but I've come to the realization that the oil ring on a lot of these motors has difficulty when extended oil changes are implemented. Simply stated, motor failure rates due to a gunked up oil ring are higher.

Rob43
Old 01-23-24, 09:04 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Yup totally get it. I am contemplating going with 7500.

minor maintenance from factory is on the 10s and the majors are on the 20s and 30s.

the only red flag I see so far is no diff or
trans fluid interval. Also brake fluid every 36k/36mo seems suspect and I would rather do every 24k/24mo.
Old 01-24-24, 06:55 PM
captainnem
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not saying the 10k recommendation from Lexus is wrong. But $100 every 5k miles is cheaper than a new engine. Especially a DI & turbo engine. Just my opinion.

My GX calls for 10k, and I do every 5k. The RCF calls for 5k.
The following 2 users liked this post by captainnem:
Adambomb (06-20-24), coolbrazz (02-08-24)
Old 01-25-24, 12:24 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

I used to do 5K on my last cars, but also between 2 cars it wasn't all that bad. I guess I can stick to 5K...
The following users liked this post:
Adambomb (06-20-24)
Old 01-26-24, 06:32 AM
Charleshua
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest 5K with full synthetic oil too.TX has the turbo, which require proper oil lubrications. A dirtier oil might have too much metal debris that clog the turbo.
Old 01-26-24, 06:52 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I would do 5k OCI if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. Would also buy better oil like Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and change it myself or bring it to an independent shop.

Not sure what dealer you use in MA ( I go to Herb Chambers of Sharon or Northborough), both are good locations.
Old 01-26-24, 08:30 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Charleshua
I would suggest 5K with full synthetic oil too.TX has the turbo, which require proper oil lubrications. A dirtier oil might have too much metal debris that clog the turbo.
I totally understand where you are coming from here. In the past I feel like a lot of toyota/lexus was naturally aspirated and turbo is somewhat new for them in their mainstream cars.
nothing will "clog the turbo" I have sold a lot of turbos in my day and also had a lot of turbocharged cars. what I do know is dirtier oil can easily cause unnecessary wear on the turbocharger's bearing. I am unaware if the bearing is a journal or ball based. either way a cleaner higher quality oil will help prolong the lifespan of the bearing in the turbo...

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I would do 5k OCI if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. Would also buy better oil like Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and change it myself or bring it to an independent shop.

Not sure what dealer you use in MA ( I go to Herb Chambers of Sharon or Northborough), both are good locations.
I am not really close to there. closest dealer is probably Ira in Danvers but they were more frustrating to deal with than Watertown where I bought the car.
I am also contemplating as long as I am living in Woburn, trying to take it to the Toyota dealer because if they can change the oil in a grand highlander they can do it in a lexus TX...
Old 02-08-24, 06:40 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

this is an interesting set of videos:

The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (02-08-24)
Old 05-31-24, 03:44 AM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you guys go to dealership for oil change? Or other reputable shops? I am thinking of taking it to local shop once my 2 years free maintenance ends.
Old 05-31-24, 08:52 AM
AlphaBro
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to stick to the old tride and true: AMSOIL full synthetic every 10k. Can't go wrong. As the vehicle ages and gets to ~150k miles ill go every 5-7k miles. Stick with Amsoil and do the oil change yourself and you be just fine.
Old 05-31-24, 08:57 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hyunwoo198
Do you guys go to dealership for oil change? Or other reputable shops? I am thinking of taking it to local shop once my 2 years free maintenance ends.
I have one more free oil change at the dealer left. I am going every 5K miles. The first "two years of maintenance" is really only 10K worth of service with one oil change. I argued another free one in with the sale of my vehicle.

Originally Posted by AlphaBro
I'm going to stick to the old tride and true: AMSOIL full synthetic every 10k. Can't go wrong. As the vehicle ages and gets to ~150k miles ill go every 5-7k miles. Stick with Amsoil and do the oil change yourself and you be just fine.
Amsoil makes a great product. there are many good oils out there on the market and Amsoil has a lot of respect especially in the high performance market.
Old 06-02-24, 08:45 PM
UTME06
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to nerd out and you do your own oil changes, get a few of these kits and you can dial it in: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Send in your break in oil at 3-5k, then do another at 5k and see what it looks like; they'll give you some narrative notes as well. Chances are 5k will be clean and stable, then you can do 7.5 or 10k and see the difference and pick your best number. Then do it every 20 or 30k to see if anything changes against the base line and adjust as it ages.

Or do it every 5k and and you'll be for-sure fine. It is interesting to have the data, though!
Old 06-03-24, 06:30 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by UTME06
If you want to nerd out and you do your own oil changes, get a few of these kits and you can dial it in: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Send in your break in oil at 3-5k, then do another at 5k and see what it looks like; they'll give you some narrative notes as well. Chances are 5k will be clean and stable, then you can do 7.5 or 10k and see the difference and pick your best number. Then do it every 20 or 30k to see if anything changes against the base line and adjust as it ages.

Or do it every 5k and and you'll be for-sure fine. It is interesting to have the data, though!
I ordered some kits a week ago and will be doing an analysis at 10K miles on 5K used oil. I will report back with my findings when I get the kits and get the oil changed and analyzed. I bet they say I could go 8K miles or something close to that.
Old 06-14-24, 03:38 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Have used Blackstone for years. Always on my race car. I can always go beyond the 5000-7500 I change at. My Cayennes and BMW’s hold a lot of oil! Well over five quarts.

Quick Reply: oil change interval