Steering wheel too far away and other seat comfort issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 08:09 PM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering wheel too far away and other seat comfort issues

Has anyone else had issues with the steering wheel in the TX being too far away to reach comfortably? I'm about 6' and depending on how I adjust the seat, my arms are comfortable but my legs are bent too much or my legs are at a comfortable length but the wheel is hard to reach comfortably. I would either need the pedals to go back further, but they don't move, or I would need the steering wheel to come out further than I can get it to go. The other option that could help a bit would be to make the back of the seat sit upright at a 90 degree angle, but then this puts too much pressure on the area around my tailbone (see additional note below about tailbone pressure issue). I'm doubting this is the case, but is there any way for the dealer to be able to make the steering wheel come out a bit further further? Even an inch would help tremendously. This is probably my biggest issue with the SUV. Maybe it's just a Lexus thing? I've never owned one before.

I've also noticed that the seat (in my luxury version) seems to be slightly tilted at an awkward angle so I either feel like I'm going to slide down the seat on a decline or if I move the front part of the seat up, it puts too much pressure under my legs and the area around my tailbone. It's a really odd feeling that I've never experienced in a vehicle before.

I've also noticed that the lumbar feels like it's located a little too far up my back. Almost as if they didn't put enough cushion in the bottom of the seat.

I didn't notice these issues at first when we test drove the car, but they've bothered me more over time. I installed a seat cushion which helps a bit with the tilt and lumbar issue, but it doesn't fully resolve these issues, and it seems so ridiculous to have a seat cushion on a luxury seat. It blocks the heating and ventilation on the bottom of the seat.

This vehicle has plenty of nice features, but I have to say that if I could have a do over, given some of the issues I've experienced, I would definitely buy a different SUV.
Old 03-03-24, 09:09 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm 6'4" / 215lbs and had similar seat & steering wheel adjustments issues with the RX & current TX. I've accepted that the average person isn't 6ft & over tall, and doubt that Lexus will adjust the wheel to come out further which would help me also. I noticed that the TX driver seat goes back further than the RX which is good. The best combination I got which isn't perfect is to dip the seat to the limit, extend the wheel to the limit, adjust the seat close enough so you can reach the wheel vs the least amount of bend to your legs. tilt the back to make up the difference. The last (2) tweaks I did was to lift up the front leg adjustment just a little & back lumbar just enough so you can feel it. These adjustments isn't perfect for me, but a more comfortable combination than the (2) RX's i had.
Let us know what Lexus says about adjusting the steering wheel to come out further.
Old 03-03-24, 02:05 PM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I'm 6'4" / 215lbs and had similar seat & steering wheel adjustments issues with the RX & current TX. I've accepted that the average person isn't 6ft & over tall, and doubt that Lexus will adjust the wheel to come out further which would help me also. I noticed that the TX driver seat goes back further than the RX which is good. The best combination I got which isn't perfect is to dip the seat to the limit, extend the wheel to the limit, adjust the seat close enough so you can reach the wheel vs the least amount of bend to your legs. tilt the back to make up the difference. The last (2) tweaks I did was to lift up the front leg adjustment just a little & back lumbar just enough so you can feel it. These adjustments isn't perfect for me, but a more comfortable combination than the (2) RX's i had.
Let us know what Lexus says about adjusting the steering wheel to come out further.
Thank you for sharing your suggestions and letting me know you've had a similar experience as 6'+ person.

I didn't have these issues in my prior Ford Explorer.
​​​​
Old 03-04-24, 08:28 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I am about 6 foot and think the seats and adjustment (especially in the luxury trim) is quite good. sorry to hear you are having these issues.

the lumbar adjustment is 4 way adjustable by the way....
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (03-04-24)
Old 06-25-24, 03:16 PM
johnpinnc
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I find the steering wheel to be a little far fo my liking (I'm 6'2"). It makes my right shoulder a little sore. I can alleviate this by periodically resting my right arm on the center console.

I do think the flap of material behind the steering wheel (between the steering wheel and the steering column) is interesting. This is our 7th Lexus, and none of the others have had this feature.
Old 07-16-24, 05:17 AM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

The above suggestion to drop the height of the seat was very helpful. Our previous explorer sat higher and sitting high felt comfortable in that vehicle so we had tried to put the seats up higher in the TX but have found they are more comfortable when they are low. Sitting lower took some getting used to but the seat doesn't sit forward now. My wife and I both still wish the steering wheel came out another inch or two, but the dealer confirmed there is nothing that can be done to bring the steering wheel out further.
coolbrazz (07-16-24)
Old 07-16-24, 08:58 AM
sheetmetalfab
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemus
The above suggestion to drop the height of the seat was very helpful. Our previous explorer sat higher and sitting high felt comfortable in that vehicle so we had tried to put the seats up higher in the TX but have found they are more comfortable when they are low. Sitting lower took some getting used to but the seat doesn't sit forward now. My wife and I both still wish the steering wheel came out another inch or two, but the dealer confirmed there is nothing that can be done to bring the steering wheel out further.
yep i just did a 7600 mile road trip.

final adjustment for comfort was all the way down on the seat both front and rear.

6’2” and 230#.

everyone has different leg, torso and arm lengths.

coolbrazz (07-16-24)