Lexus Dealership Experience - Meh

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 10:37 PM
UTME06
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus Dealership Experience - Meh

This is a bit of a vent, but also a story most car buyers can relate to. All parties will remain anonymous to protect the innocent

So here we are, post covid, sort-of-post inflation, and at high interest rates. I had a naive hope that all of that churn in the world would have affected the hassle of car buying. In particular, luxury brands in all industries seem to be battling to create a valuable customer experience. Why is the car industry so far behind?

When it was all said and done, my overall experience of the dealership I used was slightly above average but also kind of disappointing. Let me explain...

Dealership 1: This was my nearest Lexus dealership (~100 miles away). I test drove a TX350, I chose it, they found one with my specs in transit to a competing dealership (~200 miles away from both me and them). The set up a transfer, and I thought it was done. But here they come with a $1,600 charge to swap vehicles with the other dealership. I shipped a car a couple years ago for $1.20 a mile; that took some research and effort, but I got a decent deal... and I'm just some guy, not a dealership. They agreed to spilt it, so again, I was happy enough and thought I was done.

Then the used car salesman tactics kicked in. The final write up included $2300 for a ceramic coat and windshield protection. I told them "no thanks, I'm not interested in those products." They then "did me a favor" by "agreeing" to remove the ceramic but told me that I had to buy the windshield protection at $800. I'm almost certain that is illegal, or it at least will be once the courts work thought the challenges to the CARS rule set by the FTC, but it's also an insane tactic from an experienced buyer's perspective. I've had some interesting experiences in the F&I chair but I've never even considered being told to walk over an "optional" add-on.

So, I walked.

Dealership 2: Again, it ended up being one of my better end-to-end processes but not without a little hiccup that surprised me. I'm a regional shopper and I know what I want. I found it ~300 miles away and got through all the initial discussions (when will it be here, what is the deposit, are you good with X date for delivery if it shows up on time). All was good, I was ready to roll. I agreed to the sticker price and the provided proposal, but I'm 4 hours away with a busy professional life and a young child. I told them I wanted to use their advertised online sales process so I could do everything remotely (even offered to use my own notary and send paperwork back on my dime). The first, and second, answer was "we can't do that, you and your wife have to come in and sign in person."

The third answer, after I requested the advertised service on a mass email to the management team, was 'ok, fine' (of course it was, volume is more profitable than the F&I office at the end of the day).

Implementation of answer 3 was so good. I wish it took a few less days to make it all happen, but I didn't have to drag my family 4 hours each way and get the hard sell on a bunch of overpriced and under-performing insurance policies. And a busy dealership didn't have to waste their staff's time to make a certain no-haggle sale.

I feel like we all won... except for the F&I staff I worked with; as a buyer you should know that they make very little beyond the add-ons commission; which is why car buying is always so full of pressure and stress for the customer. And that's a shame, IMO since they are responsible for a lot of administrative tasks after the sale. On another side note, I had a competing, less popular luxury brand with an awesome vehicle, doing everything they could to make the process work for me and to drop in off in my driveway from the same town I bought the TX in (maybe I should have let them, but we preferred the TX).

In conclusion, I got what I needed to make this transaction possible and I appreciate dealership 2's willingness to work with me. But dang, I'm on vehicle #12 if you include boats and RV's and there is always something. If a brand, especially one as popular as Lexus/Toyota, could find a way to just make it simple and painless to buy a vehicle I feel like that would be game changing and their volume would explode.

If you made it this far, is this normal? Is my region difficult or is this just how it is? I've bought real estate with less hassle and drama than this car. But, now that it's over, I look forward to many years with the TX. It's seems to be a great vehicle and has already filled my garage with that new car smell... which is my favorite kid of garage!

The following 2 users liked this post by UTME06:
Jetfixermo (04-23-24), sheetmetalfab (04-17-24)
Old 04-17-24, 08:43 AM
sheetmetalfab
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Only one dealer in Alaska so I really only have one choice, buy locally or ship a car up from Seattle.

they treated me ok.

in and out in 2 hours, in person.

(the standard add ons pressure from the “finance” guy)

i got it for $500 less than MSRP.
Old 04-17-24, 10:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

that's why i love the beauty of one click car buying.

one click on the app, vehicle is ready for pick up sir.

i went to go get it. they just have your name on the car and a guy taps something on an ipad, doesn't even make eye contact. you drive off.

i dislike all the snake oil selling bs when it comes time. they get all pushy on you
Old 04-17-24, 11:01 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

I've been fortunate with my Lexus dealer in Raleigh, NC. We've purchased (2) RX's and this year traded for a TX. We used the same salesperson for all (3) vehicles.

These were my wife's vehicles, and the sales guy won her over. As for me I didn't want the first 2016 RX and was clear to the sales guy that our next stop was Acura. After the test drive of course my wife loved it, but I was still firm "next stop is Acura" which was actually true in my mind.

The manager came out and said we will find something here and not going to let us leave without driving a RX off the lot. They found enough rebates, and incentives that we got a fully loaded RX350 minus AWD. We've been a customer ever since. The service dept is rather good with no hassle.

Maybe we were lucky with our dealer because I have read on this forum that not all Lexus dealers are equal.
Old 04-19-24, 10:06 AM
ReggieFish
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Our dealership in Little Rock , AR was fantastic. It was far and away the best car buying experience I've ever had.
Old 04-21-24, 08:47 PM
UTME06
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear that at least this small subset of folks had good experiences!

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, but after nearly a vehicle a year for the past 15 years it's unfortunate that the car buying industry hasn't improved the process; either to differentiate in the market or due to regulation.

Cars are a commodity. Put a price on it and let anyone who wants it buy it with a click. Car dealerships have got to get out of this gatekeeping game they like to play.

Rant complete
Old 04-23-24, 08:15 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

my dealer in MA was great to deal with. sorry to hear. they were pretty up front and didn't mark anything up and gave me a great deal for my trade at the time.