Third row seat popping during mid-fold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-24, 07:37 AM
rutabox
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Third row seat popping during mid-fold?

I have the electric folding third row seats. When they are about midway while folding down, each makes a loud popping noise. Perhaps this is by design but it sure sounds wrong to me. Anyone else have this pop, or discover that it is normal or by design? Doesn't inspire confidence or quality to me. Thanks.
Old 06-09-24, 09:21 AM
sheetmetalfab
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It’s not just the headrests auto folding?
Old 06-09-24, 09:56 AM
Excitable Boy
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rutabox
I have the electric folding third row seats. When they are about midway while folding down, each makes a loud popping noise. Perhaps this is by design but it sure sounds wrong to me. Anyone else have this pop, or discover that it is normal or by design? Doesn't inspire confidence or quality to me. Thanks.
I have the same issue and have been thinking of taking my TX to the dealer to have it checked. It sounds like something is binding and then snaps. I keep the third row down most of the time as I don't haul a lot of people, but do carry a good amount of stuff in the cargo area.
The following users liked this post:
sheetmetalfab (06-09-24)
Old 06-09-24, 01:38 PM
rutabox
Driver School Candidate

It's definitely coming from the hingey part not the head rests. They are actually folded all the time as I've yet to carry folks in the back yet.

So I watched a few YouTube reviews and can hear the same pop....guess no one has commented yet among all those reviewers(?)
The following 2 users liked this post by rutabox:
Rancherman (06-09-24), sheetmetalfab (06-09-24)
Old 06-09-24, 05:51 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Third row popping sound during folding

Mine did the same thing. There is a plastic part glued to the bottom of the seat back cover. You can lift the cover off by pulling on it releasing it from the Velcro. That plastic piece of bent at all will catch when you put down the seat and make a popping sound as it rips off the backing.
The dealer wanted to glue it back in but instead we are waiting for the seat back repair part. It has been 6 months and no part yet.
I live with it by bending it straight and it doesn’t catch.
See attached pics.

hyunwoo198 (06-24-24)
Old 06-09-24, 06:04 PM
rutabox
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks! I'll take a closer look tomorrow morning in daylight. So they have a replacement part?
Old 06-09-24, 06:06 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey thanks! I'll take a closer look tomorrow morning in daylight. So they have a replacement part?
no replacement part yet.
Old 06-10-24, 07:00 AM
rutabox
Driver School Candidate

Mine looks ok. The popping seems to come from below that flap, from the hinge mechanism. Really can't seem to see what that plastic piece even does. Weird.
Rancherman (06-10-24)
Old 06-10-24, 12:42 PM
AlphaBro
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ours pops as well
Old 06-11-24, 07:21 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

when I have used mine they pop. seemed normal to me. doesn't sound great but the seats work as intended...
Old 06-24-24, 10:18 AM
rutabox
Driver School Candidate

My Lexus dealership put in a TAS case on the popping noise. Not sure if these ever get replies back from corporate but the service rep said other customers have asked about the noise too. He agreed it is not a "Lexus-like" sound. I'm glad I formally asked for a service check as if these seats fail sometime soon, at least I know, they know, it has been happening from day 1.
Old 06-24-24, 05:07 PM
johnpinnc
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Lexus dealership put in a TAS case on the popping noise. Not sure if these ever get replies back from corporate but the service rep said other customers have asked about the noise too. He agreed it is not a "Lexus-like" sound. I'm glad I formally asked for a service check as if these seats fail sometime soon, at least I know, they know, it has been happening from day 1.
I bought my TX 350 on 6/14 (just before the airbag recall). My seats have popped since day 1. Like you, I intend to bring this to the attention of Lexus, so that if and when the part fails, I will have informed them well prior. By the way, my wife had a problem with a rattle on her brand new 2008 RX (once upon a time). After dismantling the front end, the service team determined that two of the washers used in the front end had rough surfaces that should have been smoothed out. Once they smoothed them out, the rattle was gone - for good. We were told that they used our case to fix the manufacturing problem (we don't know if that is really the case). I guess the moral of the story is that it is good to say something.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnpinnc:
mhoran89 (06-26-24), rutabox (06-24-24)