Stop Sale for Safety Concerns TX & GH - 6/20

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-24, 08:48 AM
Adambomb
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnpinnc
I like driving my new TX. I don't feel unsafe, and I am not interested in driving a loaner/rental car unless my car is unsafe to drive.
Ditto, I will drive my TX with the driver side window up for now til recall is resolved (its summer and hot so no biggy)
The following 2 users liked this post by Adambomb:
johnpinnc (07-18-24), sheetmetalfab (07-18-24)
Old 08-08-24, 08:49 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

The latest update is production on hold with target for Q1 2025 release, meaning the actual new lines will be set up for start build around end of OCT/NOV if they are able to find remedy. It could be even push further as once remedy is released as it must be tested to gain approval to put into production.
Old 08-08-24, 09:24 AM
Adambomb
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So continue with keeping the window rolled up and waiting for Lexus to resolve it, I can wait, I still like my TX, unless TX's value goes up past $100K, i'd sell for a profit LOL
Old 08-08-24, 09:44 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Adambomb
So continue with keeping the window rolled up and waiting for Lexus to resolve it, I can wait, I still like my TX, unless TX's value goes up past $100K, i'd sell for a profit LOL
I wouldn't be concerned, I am sure there is a lot of things that must occur for it to fail as if there wasn't there would be mandated recall, this is still voluntary. I think the issue is now this has highlighted the marginal crash test rating the GH and TX received, they may look to improve the structure to help improve that for 2025.
The following users liked this post:
Adambomb (08-08-24)
Old 08-08-24, 12:30 PM
mhoran89
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by John89
I wouldn't be concerned, I am sure there is a lot of things that must occur for it to fail as if there wasn't there would be mandated recall, this is still voluntary. I think the issue is now this has highlighted the marginal crash test rating the GH and TX received, they may look to improve the structure to help improve that for 2025.
the crash test ratings were out before the car was delivered to customers (more or less). the risk of owning a vehicle with a less than perfect crash test rating is a personal choice. I don't think toyota/lexus is happy about the ratings, however I don't see them structurally redesigning the vehicle to perform differently in a crash other than remedying the diver side curtain airbag deploying less than optimally (with the window down) which is what is currently documented in the recall paperwork. I don't see either brand changing the safety structure unless they plan to buy back the cars or offer current owners new vehicles. toyota and lexus have their hands full with the 100K 3.4L V6 TT engines needing replacement and other issues.

I see toyota/lexus updating either the headliner, a-pillar, or the airbag and putting that fix into all future builds and retrofitting currently built and delivered cars at dealerships at no charge to customers just like any other recall. I am by no means an expert on safety restraint systems or automotive recalls and not trying to start a beef either...

I also did not see where the car received a marginal safety crash test rating. it was either good or acceptable...
The following users liked this post:
mike995134 (08-08-24)
Old 08-26-24, 09:56 AM
mhoran89
Intermediate

just got another letter in the mail from lexus. apparently both the driver side curtain shield airbag and the same one on the passenger side are affected. current recommendation is to not put either of the front two windows down. no remedy has been developed, but they are still working on it. I have a feeling the airbags are not deploying as intended and the only way this will come to a close is by having both side curtain airbags replaced in each affected vehicle. more to come I am sure...
Old 08-27-24, 07:57 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Latest is there still holding with Q1 2025 release, set production has not been scheduled to start. The good news is there allocation plans in place for 2025 which means that's start as then the dealers can start seeing allocations eventually.
Now for current fix, it seems they will need to make some kind of structural change which may involve new front doors or wields in which autobody or third party outside the dealership would need to perform.
Old 08-27-24, 08:36 AM
mhoran89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John89
Latest is there still holding with Q1 2025 release, set production has not been scheduled to start. The good news is there allocation plans in place for 2025 which means that's start as then the dealers can start seeing allocations eventually.
Now for current fix, it seems they will need to make some kind of structural change which may involve new front doors or wields in which autobody or third party outside the dealership would need to perform.
I guess what would be nice to know is this issue an airbag (deployment) problem or is it a structural issue where the pillar/door deforms under an accident condition and there is more to this than just an airbag/headliner/etc. replacement? we won't know more until everyone else knows unless someone has an insider look at toyota/lexus and even if they do it's highly unlikely someone is going to leak stuff like this to the public in regards to an airbag/safety recall...
Old 08-27-24, 09:02 AM
johnpinnc
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lots of Questions

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I guess what would be nice to know is this issue an airbag (deployment) problem or is it a structural issue where the pillar/door deforms under an accident condition and there is more to this than just an airbag/headliner/etc. replacement? we won't know more until everyone else knows unless someone has an insider look at toyota/lexus and even if they do it's highly unlikely someone is going to leak stuff like this to the public in regards to an airbag/safety recall...
I was wondering about the door replacement. If they have to remove doors, and reinstall the same doors, that is one thing. If they have to replace them, then paint would have to be matched for cars that have been in service for a while. There could be obvious issues with paint lots, fading, etc. that would make the replacement obvious.

This could. be a slow-simmering fiasco. Think about it this way: if you went to buy a new car, and were told you could never trade it in, that would influence the price you were willing to pay. All other things being equal, a new car that could be traded in would fetch a higher price than a new car that could never be traded in. Now, if doors have to be replaced, or worse, TX owners may have a herd of white elephants on their hands.