Stop Sale for Safety Concerns TX & GH - 6/20

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-24, 01:52 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Stop Sale for Safety Concerns TX & GH - 6/20

All heads up in case you may be being pushed to take delivery of TX. There seems to be major concerns about it safely that is now starting to surface which will force stop sale starting today. It seems anything that is grounded at dealership can be sold and delivered. However all inbound Grand highlanders and TXs are being held in transit or at the factory till they are able to come up with fix for there safety concerns in regards to structure in crash test and issues with driver side curtain airbag. Those of that were waiting on inbound TX are most definitely on QC holds, and dealers are most likely are going try push to sell everything on there lot as they can as more then likely there be stop sale on them soon or official recall. Don't know how you fix structure issue with recall.

Note this does not effect the regular Toyota Highlander only Grand and TX.

Last edited by John89; 06-20-24 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-20-24, 04:38 AM
evident
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Crazy safety issue!! Hopefully they fix it asap. Toyota getting beaten down lately
Old 06-20-24, 07:35 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by evident
Crazy safety issue!! Hopefully they fix it asap. Toyota getting beaten down lately
Yes, and the GXs are also on QC hold as well, but don't know the reason why behind that .

Bottom line is if your in the market for TX and its on the lot before they put recall on it and can't be sold, you may be able to get really good deal on it as I am sure dealer wants them gone before this recall hits for the ones that are at dealership as then they can't sell those until there fix in place.
Old 06-20-24, 07:46 AM
Geekmommy4
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is one of the ones being held. It was just a couple of days from delivery. I'm pretty sad just because I've been waiting since the beginning of February, but glad they are dealing with it now.
Old 06-20-24, 08:01 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by John89
All heads up in case you may be being pushed to take delivery of TX. There seems to be major concerns about it safely that is now starting to surface which will force stop sale starting today. It seems anything that is grounded at dealership can be sold and delivered. However all inbound Grand highlanders and TXs are being held in transit or at the factory till they are able to come up with fix for there safety concerns in regards to structure in crash test and issues with driver side curtain airbag. The issue seems to be due to the A pillar collapsing so much in crash it pinches the driver side curtain airbag not allowing it to deploy correctly. Those of that were waiting on inbound TX are most definitely on QC holds, and dealers are most likely are going try push to sell everything on there lot as they can as more then likely there be stop sale on them soon or official recall. Don't know how you fix structure issue with recall.

Note this does not effect the regular Toyota Highlander only Grand and TX.
appreciate the info. where exactly are you getting this information from? does it affect all TXs including ones already sold?
Old 06-20-24, 08:38 AM
Missmaggie81
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens if you bought one last week? I’m very concerned about this.
Old 06-20-24, 08:49 AM
John89
Pit Crew

I just did google search and came across this video recently posted.

Old 06-20-24, 12:32 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Missmaggie81
What happens if you bought one last week? I’m very concerned about this.
you are SOL until owners are notified by corporate or their local dealers. just like the rest of us right now.

Originally Posted by John89
I just did google search and came across this video recently posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJvSrr4mxo8
well this doesn't bode well for us...
Old 06-20-24, 02:14 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Safety Recall

Well, this is what we get for buying 1st gen.
My TX already under recall.

Old 06-20-24, 06:24 PM
mike995134
Driver

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

And here is Kirk’s update from today …June 20th.

He’s an ex-sales consultant for Lexus and seems very well connected to Toyota/Lexus so his reporting has been pretty reliable.

Old 06-20-24, 06:34 PM
evident
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mike995134
And here is Kirk’s update from today …June 20th.

He’s an ex-sales consultant for Lexus and seems very well connected to Toyota/Lexus so his reporting has been pretty reliable.

https://youtu.be/QVe2urSUn4s?si=NAuryuLjenVzEYvI
he can also be a sensationalist click bait too so take whatever he says with a grain of salt
Old 06-20-24, 06:42 PM
mike995134
Driver

I’m not here to defend Kirk, lord know all of these YouTubers can be overly dramatic at times, but in all my years of buying Toyotas/Lexus vehicles (bought my first Celica in 1978) I’ve found his reports to be spot-on. Of course, YMMV. 😬
The following users liked this post:
RX469 (06-24-24)
Old 06-20-24, 09:01 PM
UTME06
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If the press release from Toyota is the full story, this is probably not a buy back situation. Having the shop remove the headliner to install a revised airbag will not be the most convenient experience but that's why people tell you not to buy the first model year!

The initial post talked about structural issues as well; is there any information around other potential scope, or was that just rumor mill prior to the official statement?

Old 06-20-24, 09:32 PM
mike995134
Driver

I think that the “structural” comments were uninformed as the problem seems to center on the driver side airbag and how it deploys in a crash if the driver’s side window is either open or is shattered in a crash.

Also one needs to keep in mind that this is, for now at least, a voluntary recall. The Feds have not required this because from how I understand the situation, the vehicles did “pass” the required certification tests. And so Toyota/Lexus is just being super cautious by issuing this recall.
Old 06-22-24, 09:42 AM
Excitable Boy
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, that’s not good!

Quick Reply: Stop Sale for Safety Concerns TX & GH - 6/20