A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-24, 11:20 AM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A/C issues

Is anyone else having issues with the A/C in this vehicle in the extreme heat we've been having in the Northeast? For some reason, the A/C seems to turn itself off every time I turn off the car and I need to manually turn it back on when I restart the vehicle. It then takes a very long time to cool down at all but doesn't cool down very much. It's a slightly pleasant temperature coming out of the vents, but doesn't compete with the heat of this summer, so the vehicle doesn't cool down that much overall. I have the S-Flow turned off and the temperature at 60 with the fans blasting on high and feel like I'm continually wishing it was much cooler in the vehicle. Taking it to the dealer to get it checked out this week, but thought I would check with others to see if anyone else is experiencing this.
Old 06-22-24, 12:04 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My car always have AC on Auto mode at 72 degree whenever I start the car. It gets cold pretty quickly. Hopefully your A/C gets fixed quick.
Old 06-22-24, 12:11 PM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hyunwoo198
My car always have AC on Auto mode at 72 degree whenever I start the car. It gets cold pretty quickly. Hopefully your A/C gets fixed quick.
Ok, I'm glad to hear that the A/C seems to be working better in other TXs. Hopefully, they can fix my issue.
Old 06-22-24, 05:16 PM
Excitable Boy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm here in So Cal and it was 95 today. That's normal for us this time of year, but it will get hotter. It was 103 in Woodland Hills today, which is about 8 miles away and over one hill from us. Quality AC is mandatory for any vehicle I'll own. Like hyunwoo198 noted, I leave it auto mode set at 72 and it does a good job. I also manually turned on the cooled seats to the high setting which sticks through periods of non use and restarts, just like the A/C temp settings. By default, I think the rear climate control zone is off, so if it's really hot, I turn it on to cool the whole vehicle. To me, running the fans on high will put more wind in your face and help with evaporative cooling if you're super sweaty, but running the fans slower gives the air molecules a bit more time in the heat exchanger and might drop the temp faster.

Something to consider: I'm not used to having a car that I can control to some degree through an app on my phone, but when I think to do it, it's pretty easy to open the Lexus app and Start the vehicle remotely which gets the AC going. This works perfectly when you start your TX when you ask for the check in a restaurant. By the time you get to your vehicle, it's already cooled down

I need to remember to do that more!
Old 06-22-24, 05:59 PM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Excitable Boy
I'm here in So Cal and it was 95 today. That's normal for us this time of year, but it will get hotter. It was 103 in Woodland Hills today, which is about 8 miles away and over one hill from us. Quality AC is mandatory for any vehicle I'll own. Like hyunwoo198 noted, I leave it auto mode set at 72 and it does a good job. I also manually turned on the cooled seats to the high setting which sticks through periods of non use and restarts, just like the A/C temp settings. By default, I think the rear climate control zone is off, so if it's really hot, I turn it on to cool the whole vehicle. To me, running the fans on high will put more wind in your face and help with evaporative cooling if you're super sweaty, but running the fans slower gives the air molecules a bit more time in the heat exchanger and might drop the temp faster.

Something to consider: I'm not used to having a car that I can control to some degree through an app on my phone, but when I think to do it, it's pretty easy to open the Lexus app and Start the vehicle remotely which gets the AC going. This works perfectly when you start your TX when you ask for the check in a restaurant. By the time you get to your vehicle, it's already cooled down

I need to remember to do that more!
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, even though I have the Lexus app set to turn the temp down to 58 when remote starting the vehicle, the A/C never actually turns on and so the car is still very warm when I get in. I think there must be something wrong with the A/C. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to get it straightened out. Appreciate your thoughts!
Old 06-23-24, 06:59 AM
AlphaBro
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve had this issue as well. Ive turned it down to LO before expecting to get ice cold AC and it did not. And then there are days I put it on 72 and it gets cold. I dunno very strange for sure. I’m planning on taking it to dealership eventually to get it looked at. I wonder if having Rear on or off makes a difference? We also keep S Flow off. Keep us updated!
Old 06-24-24, 06:12 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

there is a setting in the menus in the screen. I was having this happen and it was driving me nuts. now the A/C light and compressor kick on every time the car/hvac is started and no more issues. look for it in the vehicle customize menu. hope this helps.
Old 07-07-24, 04:52 PM
cmastora
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone else getting condensation on the rear passenger side taillight? Is there a condenser back there as well. Just want to make sure it’s normal.

Old 07-08-24, 08:23 AM
AlphaBro
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmastora
Is anyone else getting condensation on the rear passenger side taillight? Is there a condenser back there as well. Just want to make sure it’s normal.

If you look underneath right there you will see a rear AC line for the 3rd row. try to follow the line up and see if you can find a leak. I have never noticed any condensation build up next to ours. It should look like this:

3rd row AC line
Old 07-16-24, 05:26 AM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

I haven't looked for the condensation issue you mentioned. Will try to remember to take a look when I'm back home.

I took the car to the dealership and they ran some tests on the A/C and everything looked ok to them including the temperature. They said the temperature was within the specs. They showed me how to set the A/C which was pretty much what I had already done but for whatever reason it seems to turn on a little faster now. However, once the temps reach ~95° or above the A/C doesn't get cool enough. It's manageable but but comfortable. I guess this must just be a Lexus thing. Our previous Food Explorer would always be able to get to the point where it was too cold even when the outdoor temperature was very high. Kind of frustrating and not something I would have anticipated being an issue with a Lexus.
Old 07-16-24, 06:01 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bluemus
I haven't looked for the condensation issue you mentioned. Will try to remember to take a look when I'm back home.

I took the car to the dealership and they ran some tests on the A/C and everything looked ok to them including the temperature. They said the temperature was within the specs. They showed me how to set the A/C which was pretty much what I had already done but for whatever reason it seems to turn on a little faster now. However, once the temps reach ~95° or above the A/C doesn't get cool enough. It's manageable but but comfortable. I guess this must just be a Lexus thing. Our previous Food Explorer would always be able to get to the point where it was too cold even when the outdoor temperature was very high. Kind of frustrating and not something I would have anticipated being an issue with a Lexus.
have had multiple super humid 90+ degree days in MA and with the system set to 66 and auto (take s-flow off that setting sucks) and having the rear synced to the front it gets so cold I have to turn it up to 68 sometimes. I think the HVAC keeps up really well considering it is a big vehicle... much better than my two Audi Q7s I had prior...
Old 07-16-24, 02:55 PM
rutabox
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You mentioned turning off S-Flo but what about Eco Heat/Cool. I turn this off when I get into a hot car, especially with folks and a dog, because it does take longer to cool if switched on. It switches on and off sometimes based on the drive mode.

(wow, that's a bunch of finger prints)

Old 07-17-24, 05:51 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rutabox
You mentioned turning off S-Flo but what about Eco Heat/Cool. I turn this off when I get into a hot car, especially with folks and a dog, because it does take longer to cool if switched on. It switches on and off sometimes based on the drive mode.

(wow, that's a bunch of finger prints)
yes turning off eco mode is good too. eco mode really doesn't do much for MPG to be honest so there isn't much reason to keep it enabled (as a drive mode). I wonder if there is a way to keep the car from activating s-flow mode automatically which is frustrating because it seems to turn itself on once in a while...
Old 07-17-24, 09:02 PM
Bluemus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mhoran89
yes turning off eco mode is good too. eco mode really doesn't do much for MPG to be honest so there isn't much reason to keep it enabled (as a drive mode). I wonder if there is a way to keep the car from activating s-flow mode automatically which is frustrating because it seems to turn itself on once in a while...
I have had eco mode turned off.

I wish I could get our SUV to be so cold I need to turn up the heat. Instead, I wish I could turn it down to 30° and then it might actually feel comfortable.
Old 07-18-24, 07:17 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bluemus
I have had eco mode turned off.

I wish I could get our SUV to be so cold I need to turn up the heat. Instead, I wish I could turn it down to 30° and then it might actually feel comfortable.
my car gets freezing even with outdoor temps approaching 100f. I have to turn it up to 68f to stop freezing once the car blows ice cold on "LO" for about 8-10 minutes. I also remote start the car every time in the summer more or less which helps cool things down ahead of time. putting recirculation on also helps so you are cooling already cooler air than the outdoor air which is hotter...

Quick Reply: A/C issues