At What Point Would Lexus Have to Offer a Buy Back

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-24, 10:20 AM
johnpinnc
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default At What Point Would Lexus Have to Offer a Buy Back

I'm not wishing for this, just curious: how long do Toyota/Lexus have to find and implement a fix for the airbag problem? If the issue is serious enough to prevent the manufacture and sale of additional units, how long is it OK for them to not have found and implemented a fix?
Old 07-28-24, 10:50 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

Good question.
My guess the government sets that time or law-suits if someone is killed sad to say.
Old 07-28-24, 12:09 PM
Adambomb
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll take the buy back/part of it and keep the TX, I'll sign a waiver , I like my TX
The following 3 users liked this post by Adambomb:
johnpinnc (07-28-24), PRodL (Today), sheetmetalfab (07-28-24)
Old 07-29-24, 07:39 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If there no resolution past 30 days of official recall notice, then you could start to push for buy back as this is safety recall. Remember though you are entitled to rental or loaner car at Toyota expense until remedy.
To be 100% honest I would want buy back or I wouldn't get this recall fixed and take my chances because if they need remove headliner that huge job, on top of that there million clips that hold that curtain air bag in so can only imagine the mess this fix would cause. As I can assure you they don't compensate labor hours to what is needed to do this correctly. Remember that headliner is only held in with glue zero clips.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lexus1998:
coolbrazz (07-30-24), johnpinnc (07-29-24)
Old 07-29-24, 08:17 AM
johnpinnc
Rookie

If you choose not to get the recall fixed, would that make the car unsellable?
Old 07-29-24, 09:20 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by johnpinnc
If you choose not to get the recall fixed, would that make the car unsellable?
This has happened to me twice, first with ES as I wouldn't allow them saw my gas pedal to shorten as recall fix to acceleration as I knew better to use the correct floor mats. Then recently to my RX for fuel pump as I knew they would need remove rear seats and most likely spill gas all over the interior of the car. Both cars were leased, every time I brought for service I would decline the recall fix as you have the right too. Then would just return them at end of lease, and I know for one they certified it which would mean they completed recall.

All you would do is if it owned, if you traded it in that be on them to complete recall, same for lease return. If your going sell it private that is up to whomever to have the recall fixed or if you wanted to bring it in prior to selling.
This would not make your truck unsellable at all, just if dealer was to certify it they would complete the recall when you brought it back.

I would first see what the remedy is, maybe it be minor, as long as the headliner doesn't have to be removed you should be fine. I would also suggest you wait awhile to have recall completed this way they do more trucks first to get experience on doing it. I also ask that master tech perform the fix and speak with him first nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Lexus1998; 07-29-24 at 09:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexus1998:
coolbrazz (07-30-24), johnpinnc (07-29-24)
Old 07-29-24, 01:28 PM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
The following users liked this post:
snowyd100 (08-01-24)
Old 07-30-24, 11:39 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

What is happening to Toyota / Lexus quality.
Old 07-30-24, 12:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

Originally Posted by chas410

The following users liked this post:
bjjones (08-02-24)
Old 07-31-24, 02:24 PM
mhoran89
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
If there no resolution past 30 days of official recall notice, then you could start to push for buy back as this is safety recall. Remember though you are entitled to rental or loaner car at Toyota expense until remedy.
To be 100% honest I would want buy back or I wouldn't get this recall fixed and take my chances because if they need remove headliner that huge job, on top of that there million clips that hold that curtain air bag in so can only imagine the mess this fix would cause. As I can assure you they don't compensate labor hours to what is needed to do this correctly. Remember that headliner is only held in with glue zero clips.
not true. it is held in by clips in the rear. it is also held in by the rubber door seals at each opening and it is held in by the dome lights (clip in) and the sun visors and the grab handles which use fasteners. I just had part of the headliner apart last night to install rear dashcam wiring along with the a-pillar trim and it is not that difficult to figure out.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
johnpinnc (07-31-24), sheetmetalfab (07-31-24)
Old 08-01-24, 09:40 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mhoran89
not true. it is held in by clips in the rear. it is also held in by the rubber door seals at each opening and it is held in by the dome lights (clip in) and the sun visors and the grab handles which use fasteners. I just had part of the headliner apart last night to install rear dashcam wiring along with the a-pillar trim and it is not that difficult to figure out.
This is what I was referring, your see in video how airbag is held and comments about it being put back in.

Old 08-01-24, 01:23 PM
mhoran89
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
This is what I was referring, your see in video how airbag is held and comments about it being put back in.

https://youtu.be/7HyuriUhTSo
it is a highly engineered vehicle and safety system. airbag fasteners IMHO should be a one time use item since they are an integral part of the safety system of the vehicle. better to be safe than sorry. each to their own, that is what makes the world go around.
Old 08-02-24, 07:30 PM
johnpinnc
Rookie

The production has been postponed now until at least October 21. It sounds like "the fix" may still not have been ironed out.
Old 08-16-24, 05:50 PM
anaab
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chas410
I'm with you chas410. Traded my '18 ES for this TX 350 and I keep finding more issues that belong on a Hyundai!
Plenty of places where water hides then drips for hours after a car wash (at the dealer "Auto Spa"), loose trim at the door/window meeting point, front Pre-Collision sensor system failure message several times a day. Dealer says to turn off the Auto Stop/Start feature because the voltage drop triggers this errors.
That cuts it down to three times a day instead of five and costs me more fuel.

Hoping for an eventual buy back so I can run to another manufacturer.
Old 08-16-24, 05:53 PM
Adambomb
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

So far my TX 350 AWD Luxury has been perfect, no issues that you are encountering and YES I'm knocking on wood LOL

Quick Reply: At What Point Would Lexus Have to Offer a Buy Back