Questions about TX from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-24, 12:29 PM
newkidintheblock
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about TX from a newbie

I have never purchased a Lexus before
We currently have 2020 Acura MDX, 2021 Tesla Model Y and Audi A4 Quattro Convertible.
My wife hates my Tesla as it makes her sick. Even my kids hate the ride quality.
I have been directed by my wife to get rid of Tesla as she will never ride in it.
My kids are 12 and 15 and I have a 70 lb chocolate lab.
spacious 3rd row is the main reason for choosing Lexus TX.

0. I typically avoid buying cars in their first production year. Is anyone having problems with their 2024 TX. What changes if any were announced for 2025? I can easily wait until 2025 model.
1. When we take family trips we were thinking that dog may ride in the 3rd row seat. Should we get a bench or captains chair in the 2nd row. I am leaning towards bench because when the whole family is not riding together it will be easier to put the dog in the 2nd row. Let me know if this makes sense.
2. I like good sound quality so I was going to purchase Mark Levinson but based on what I read I will save my money and not get it.
3. I am thinking of getting TX350 AWD Luxury Trim. My main concern is that it seems under powered. Acura MDX is 330HP and Tesla MY AWD has incredible acceleration even though my family hates it. How is the acceleration? I am assuming that other more expensive trims may have better acceleration. Which trim will have better acceleration? I will try to figure out if spending thousands more is worth it to get better acceleration.
4. How do you carry multiple bikes? Do you get a trailer hitch and use a bike rack that gets mounted on the hitch?
5 I plan to take cold area, convenience, tech packages, 3M guard, all season mats etc. Are there other things I should get?
6. I am a Costco member so I am assuming going through them is my best option? I am in GA but willing to go out of state of there are savings due to better pricing in other states like FL, SC, TN, AL, NC etc.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions for me.
Old 07-31-24, 01:35 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

My cousin replaced her RX350 with a TX 350 luxury. She stated she notices the TX 350 doesn’t have the same get up and go as her RX350 had. Other than that, plenty of space. Depending on your budget, I would suggest looking at the TX 500h luxury or 550+ if you can live without a sunroof. Going with either choice will give you the captain seat option. Hopefully you can test drive both and get a feel which best fits your needs.
The following users liked this post:
newkidintheblock (08-01-24)
Old 07-31-24, 02:17 PM
mhoran89
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

0. no real issues with these cars. I'd say go for it.
1. if you need space for a dog get the 2nd row bench but you cannot build these cars and finding a luxury trim one in bench seating is going to be near impossible.
2. sound quality is fine. it is a good stereo but not worth the upcharge. I haven't listened to a base model stereo and have no desire to nor do I have a lot of desire to complain about the ML because the car is phenomenal otherwise.
3. it is a bit underpowered. I came from a tuned 3.0L V6 German car with 400+ HP. the car is not slow. it does fine even fully loaded. would not recommend towing 3500+ lbs regularly though.
4. you get a car with the $1400 tow hitch because one after the fact is not cheap at the dealer. or you can get an aftermarket one. get a 1up rack they are best in the business and can take 4 heavy bikes without issues. they are not cheap.
5. canvasback liners for the backs of the 2nd and 3rd row.
6. costco is amazing, but if you can travel out of state and get a better deal on a car that has the configuration

hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
newkidintheblock (08-01-24)
Old 08-01-24, 12:53 PM
snowyd100
6th Gear

I kept checking Costco Auto Club and they never had specials on the TX and neither did the dealership. Got the best interest rate at Navy Federal Credit Union.
Old 08-01-24, 08:37 PM
Excitable Boy
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the TX500h F Sport. As they used to say in Rolls Royce promotional materials, the vehicle has adequate power. It's not a race car, but certainly has plenty of umph when you need it. Passing from 65mph is effortless. I drove Pilots for many years and got by with about the same power as a TX350 has. The TX500h F Sport is more enjoyable to drive.

I'd rather have a TX500h Premium than a TX350 Luxury. Better mileage and more zip. If you really need the Luxury upgrades (Sunroof/HUD/Leather interior), it's only a few thousand more. I'd have probably popped tor that combo, but I found a good deal on the TX500h Premium that was L Certified, but only had 1530 miles on the clock, so almost brand new so I deal with the synthetic seat covers, which are very comfortable and supposed to be very durable. The HUD on the vehicles I test drove didn't' work well with my polarized sunglasses, so no big loss for me. The last six SUV's I've had all had sunroofs and I hardly ever missed them, so again, no big loss to me.

YMMV.
Old 08-02-24, 12:02 PM
snowyd100
6th Gear

I went from a V6 Nissan Murano to my Premium TX350. I can definitely feel the power lag when taking off/stepping on the gas pedal but past that, the power is fine. Smooth ride at 75-90mph.
Old 08-02-24, 02:54 PM
johnpinnc
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default TX 350 Drivetrain

I went from a 2011 LS 460 that I put 160 thousand miles on, to a TX 350 Luxury AWD. The power is less with the TX 350, but it still seems fine. Like others, it is mostly noticeable from a stand still. Once the car is going, it is very smooth. We just got back from a trip to Florida, and got 26 mpg over about 1,200 miles round trip. I noticed that we got better mileage on the return trip, and the only difference was we turned off the rear seat a/c, since it was just my wife and me in the car.

We also have a 2024 ES 350 Ultra Luxury, and a 2008 RX 350.

Last edited by johnpinnc; 08-02-24 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added some information on mileage.
Old 08-03-24, 07:42 AM
mhoran89
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johnpinnc
I went from a 2011 LS 460 that I put 160 thousand miles on, to a TX 350 Luxury AWD. The power is less with the TX 350, but it still seems fine. Like others, it is mostly noticeable from a stand still. Once the car is going, it is very smooth. We just got back from a trip to Florida, and got 26 mpg over about 1,200 miles round trip. I noticed that we got better mileage on the return trip, and the only difference was we turned off the rear seat a/c, since it was just my wife and me in the car.

We also have a 2024 ES 350 Ultra Luxury, and a 2008 RX 350.
what size wheels do you have? You mean you only ran the HVAC in the front?

that’s really good economy. What speeds were you generally doing?
Old 08-03-24, 08:03 AM
johnpinnc
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
what size wheels do you have? You mean you only ran the HVAC in the front?

that’s really good economy. What speeds were you generally doing?
I have 20 inch wheels. Yes, we only ran the HVAC in the front on the way back. Our average speed for the trip was 59 mph, due largely to torrential rain for most of the drive down and resultant wrecks/other delays. We averaged 54 on the way down and 59 overall, so the average speed for the return trip was around 64. The trip included long stretches at around 80 mph.