rear brake shudder

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-24, 10:31 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

It usually occurs in front rotors, and you feel steering wheel shake when applying the break. The main cause is driving high speeds then gliding on the break for time period. Related to mostly highway drivers.
Never heard of it occurring in the rears, to me it sounds its safety system or caliper issue.

If it is warped rotors and they cut rotor you need new pads to fix it, if just rotor cut and you throw back old pad it will be miss shaped. Which will not be smooth on smooth surface which will still cause wobble.
Old 08-14-24, 01:07 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by John89
Strange it is rear brakes, have they check calipers? The other thing that comes to mind is the safety systems that brakes if your taking corner to fast. You may want to shut off all proactive safety features and give it try. As it may be that it thinks your going to fast for particular movement and is applying the brakes lightly in back to help counter your driving at particular speed taking a corner for example.
i have not really had traction control or any of the safety systems brake for me yet. not an issue. i used to drive heavier cars harder and never had issues.

Originally Posted by tammap
Brake rotor warpage usually happens when your foot rests on the brake at a stop. Take a look at this short video in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEL9diENZY0

Science only, not myth.

Cheers
correct. however sitting at the light while lightly on the brakes is the least of the issues right now. I think the culprit is the electronic e-brake clamping down on the rear rotors when the brakes are hot and you shut the car off... my apartment is right off the highway and a bunch of hard stops from 80-0 and then parking the car is not the best but the rear brakes clamping down while the car is stopped is definitely not helping things.

Originally Posted by John89
It usually occurs in front rotors, and you feel steering wheel shake when applying the break. The main cause is driving high speeds then gliding on the break for time period. Related to mostly highway drivers.
Never heard of it occurring in the rears, to me it sounds its safety system or caliper issue.

If it is warped rotors and they cut rotor you need new pads to fix it, if just rotor cut and you throw back old pad it will be miss shaped. Which will not be smooth on smooth surface which will still cause wobble.
not entirely true. the pads should mate back up to the freshly machined rotor surface, but it will take longer. the dealer did put new pads in the rear for me but reused the front pads... time will tell...
Old 08-15-24, 10:57 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

just got off the phone with the service manager at lexus about another issue and they will ask the engineer when they are in next regarding why Lexus applies the rear electronic parking brake every time the ignition is turned off. also going to inquire if this is a changeable setting... more to come.
Old 08-15-24, 11:16 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

ok. next discovery. the loaner RX I have (and my TX) are all laid out the same. these cars are equipped with an automatic parking brake interlock feature which can be turned on or off. the feature auto applies the parking brake when the transmission is put into park or put into reverse/drive. the video below (example on an older GS) summarizes how to enable or disable this feature. it takes about a 5 second press or pull on the button to change the setting and a notification is displayed in the dash once complete. I have a feeling this might significantly help with uneven brake pad deposits on the rear rotors. hope this helps both current and future TX owners as well as countless RX owners who seem to be plagued by this issue.