USB Charging / Wireless charger - slow charge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-24, 11:30 AM
projectrs2
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB Charging / Wireless charger - slow charge?

The TX has tons of USB-C charge ports across the vehicle, but when I'm charging my phones with wire OR wireless, man that has to be the slowest, lowest wattage charge I've ever seen.

Running Android auto/bluetooth music and using wireless charging pad, my battery doesn't actually charge, it just maintains it's current battery level. And plugging in an actual USB-C cord to charge is BARELY better.

I'm running a Samsung S24+, not sure if that matters.

Anyone else have similar experiences? The charging ports are so weak and slow, they're borderline useless. If I had an iPad in the back for my kids, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't keep it alive.

I've had to resort to buying a fast charging charger to stick into the car lighter socket to get a decent charge while I'm driving.
Old 08-09-24, 11:49 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I have an iphone 14 pro max and no issues. I think the wireless charging is actually quite good. increases state of charge on the phone even when running waze, spotify, or phone calls and I have had no complaints. If I am really in a tight spot I will plug it in and put it on low power mode to reduce background app consumption and try to get more charge on it quickly but the wireless charging in this car has been great.

have you reset your phone lately? do you have a thick case on the phone? have you brought this up with the dealer to see what they have to say about it? best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-09-24, 07:17 PM
Grinder34
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The usb-c won't charge my kids ipad faster than they're using it.

The wireless often barely charges, especially if it's sunny, wireless android auto, nav in use, streaming, etc... as it's way overheating.

I bought a 30w aux/cig charger to actually charge devices if needed
Old 08-10-24, 02:13 AM
projectrs2
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grinder34
The usb-c won't charge my kids ipad faster than they're using it.

The wireless often barely charges, especially if it's sunny, wireless android auto, nav in use, streaming, etc... as it's way overheating.

I bought a 30w aux/cig charger to actually charge devices if needed
This is basically my experience too

So all of those 7 USB c ports in the car, are almost completely worthless

What a disappointment
Old 08-10-24, 09:29 AM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ve had great luck charging 4 different iPhones in our TX.

also Milwaukee 12v batteries, thermacell mosquito repellent batteries, wifes iPad, kids gabb phones.

using all manner of cords plugged into the usb c ports around the car.

did a 8k mile road trip and the car was our main power source.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 08-11-24, 04:53 PM
Excitable Boy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was underwhelmed with the wireless charging with my iPhone 15 Pro. It would move around as I drove and barely maintained the charge level. I'm so done with plugging my phone in to charge as I have an Anker Magsafe charger on my desk at home and am really used to reliable wireless charging.

I went with a slick A-Tach mount and ProClip Magsafe charging solution. It gets powered by teh 12V port in hte compartment at the front of the console under the little sliding hatch. It also has the advantage of putting the phone where I can see it instead of the charging pad that makes the phone useless to look at.

Both A-Tach and Proclip offer two piece solutions: vehicle specific mounts and device specific mounting/charging solutions. With each vendor, you have to order a mount and device holder. I used one part from each manufacturer to source these two parts for my solution and it works great:

https://www.atachmounts.com/Lexus-TX...nt_p_1832.html

https://www.proclipusa.com/products/...5-phone-holder
The following users liked this post:
sheetmetalfab (08-11-24)
Old 08-12-24, 11:49 AM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Excitable Boy
I was underwhelmed with the wireless charging with my iPhone 15 Pro. It would move around as I drove and barely maintained the charge level. I'm so done with plugging my phone in to charge as I have an Anker Magsafe charger on my desk at home and am really used to reliable wireless charging.

I went with a slick A-Tach mount and ProClip Magsafe charging solution. It gets powered by teh 12V port in hte compartment at the front of the console under the little sliding hatch. It also has the advantage of putting the phone where I can see it instead of the charging pad that makes the phone useless to look at.

Both A-Tach and Proclip offer two piece solutions: vehicle specific mounts and device specific mounting/charging solutions. With each vendor, you have to order a mount and device holder. I used one part from each manufacturer to source these two parts for my solution and it works great:

https://www.atachmounts.com/Lexus-TX...nt_p_1832.html

https://www.proclipusa.com/products/...5-phone-holder
can you share a picture of your setup?
Old 08-12-24, 03:22 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I have no issues charging my iphone-12 max-plus or my wife's 14 max-plus, and both are in otterbox cases. I do have to make sure the phone is in the correct charging spot. I move it around until I see the charging icon on the phone. As for seeing the phone screen, I don't miss that because I got use to using the large touch display. The rear USB-C ports works fine with my daughter's iphone 14max, but not sure how fast it charges no complaints yet.
sheetmetalfab (08-13-24)
Old 08-13-24, 10:28 PM
Excitable Boy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sheetmetalfab
can you share a picture of your setup?

It covers up the emergency flasher button where I have placed it, but that is still accessible, so, no safety issues.

I looked at snaking the charging wire back along the bottom of the mount and still may pursue that to clean up the installation even more, but I'm very happy with this solution for now.

Full Magsafe compatibility and charging in a solution that presents the phone in a useful position.

The installation of the A-Tach mount was painless and doesn't require any tools or modification of the interior trim. Adding the Pro Clip Magsafe charging dock on top was easy as they both seem to adhere to a similar mount standard.

It works for me!

If you look close in the last pic on the lower right, you might see a 512mb USB C thumb drive inserted in the USB connectivity port.That's loaded with a bunch of high res FLAC music files that really make the ML sound system sing!

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 08-14-24 at 08:14 PM.
sheetmetalfab (08-13-24)