Disable Rear Collision with Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-24, 10:44 AM
SouthernPaul
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disable Rear Collision with Bike Rack

We have a dealer installed tow hitch and I use a hitch mounted bike rack. When trying to backup, it beeps incessantly and will do a very abrupt auto break. I've seen this discussed with other models, but I haven't found anything that seems to apply to the 2024 TX. Is there some way to put it in tow mode or disable the rear collision detection? I've looked through the settings and haven't found anything that seems to work.
Old 09-04-24, 11:04 AM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

In the settings for driver aids.

turn off automatic braking and collision warning.
Old 09-04-24, 01:09 PM
SouthernPaul
4th Gear

I assume this disables it for the front as well? That seems less than ideal.
Old 09-04-24, 01:57 PM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Originally Posted by SouthernPaul
I assume this disables it for the front as well? That seems less than ideal.
turning off the automatic braking doesn’t affect the dynamic cruise control or traffic jam assist.

I did a 10,000 mile road trip with a small trailer.

no issues.
Old 09-04-24, 02:05 PM
SouthernPaul
4th Gear

Yea I was just thinking that it does disable automatic braking for the front which seems like overkill and not really desirable. I would rather that than deal with the beeping and braking when in reverse though. My previous car was an Audi Q7 and if it was in tow mode, it would disable the features only for the rear. I was hoping there was something like that for the TX. It just seems like a glaring design issue.
Old 09-04-24, 02:16 PM
Grinder34
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea I was just thinking that it does disable automatic braking for the front which seems like overkill and not really desirable. I would rather that than deal with the beeping and braking when in reverse though. My previous car was an Audi Q7 and if it was in tow mode, it would disable the features only for the rear. I was hoping there was something like that for the TX. It just seems like a glaring design issue.
I *think* if you actually have a trailer (wiring harness) plugged in it will disable just for the rear. I also think there are basically "blank" wiring harnesses you can plug in. I just disable them via the menu, but I'll throw this out for others to toy with and confirm.
Old 09-04-24, 10:51 PM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Originally Posted by Grinder34
I *think* if you actually have a trailer (wiring harness) plugged in it will disable just for the rear. I also think there are basically "blank" wiring harnesses you can plug in. I just disable them via the menu, but I'll throw this out for others to toy with and confirm.
no change in reverse auto braking with trailer wiring connected.

it senses the trailer and stops right away.
Old 09-05-24, 05:09 AM
mhoran89
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

there is a driver assist feature called "park brake support" which is what you want to disable. that stops looking at the ultrasonic and camera based system and will allow you to get as close as you want when parking, backing up, etc.
Old 09-05-24, 07:08 AM
SouthernPaul
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sheetmetalfab
no change in reverse auto braking with trailer wiring connected.

it senses the trailer and stops right away.
If you have a trailer with LED lights, some cars have issues because the LED lights draw a lot less power so the vehicle doesn't know anything is plugged in. I don't understand why manufacturers haven't fixed this in 2024. You can add resisters to the trailer wiring to fix this. I may wire up a dummy plug with resistors and just plug that in when I use the bike rack.
Old 09-09-24, 04:50 AM
CRB66
2nd gear

We have a dealer installed tow hitch and I use a hitch mounted bike rack. When trying to backup, it beeps incessantly and will do a very abrupt auto break. I've seen this discussed with other models, but I haven't found anything that seems to apply to the 2024 TX. Is there some way to put it in tow mode or disable the rear collision detection? I've looked through the settings and haven't found anything that seems to work.
Go under vehicle settings then drive assist. You will see Parking Support brake . Select that to change color and it will turn off. Doing so also turns off Parking sensors
Old 09-09-24, 06:15 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 671 Posts

There are two features at work here:

Intuitive Parking Assist are the dime sized sensors that triggers the warning chimes.
Been an option or standard on many cars for years.

Parking Support Brake "PKSB" is the more recently introduced feature that applies
the brakes when either the Intuitive Parking Assist system signals the closest safe
distance before a collision or the Rear Cross Traffic system signals an impending
collision with an approaching car. RCTA uses the hidden sensors shared with the
Blind Spot Monitor system.

All of this to clarify that you can (and should) turn of only the PKSB function when
towing or carrying a bike rack. Leave the Intuitive Parking Assist sensors enabled
to continue warnings of front clearance dangers. Yes, it will squawk when backing
but not apply the brakes.