UX300H first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 06:50 PM
symgryph
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking UX300H first impressions

I just got my ux300h this tuesday. Here are some of my first impressions:

1. LOTS of gadgets (I came from a 2012 ct200h!)
2. I got the 10/year/12,000$ 'gadget breaks $7000 repair bill' lottery ticket
3. I like the drive, and being higher
4. I DONT LIKE the expensive tires $450.00! And a VERY concerning "These tires only last 20,000 miles"
5. I got the tire insurance
6. GREAT manuals (Its nice to see these in 2024!)
7. VERY nice android auto experience nary a blip.
8. The charger (wireless) seems a bit weak, but it seems to work
9. LOTS of usb C( YEA) ports (2)
10. Lexus safety 3.0 functions seem mostly good, adaptive cruise control nice, lane assist, not so much
11. I LOVE the position of the screen, its the first in car screen that I haven't hated.
12. Nice ride, but like most ux'es its a bit noisy on the road (ride that is).
13. GREAT mic for cell phone, the first one I have EVER had in a car that doesn't sound like a tin can!
14. I would have liked a pHEV, but they were NX only and WAY spendier than I wanted.
15. NICE auto dim for the high beams and automatic lights.

Its a nice color, and I mostly like it, but I was sad it wasn't an AWD model. I do get better gas mileage, and since its North Carolina we don't exactly have evil winters. The cruise control takes some getting used to WAY too many buttons, but it seems to work once you read the manual. And I do like the moving the garage homelink under the rear view mirror. Its hard getting used to after 12 years of having my old video screen in the rear view mirror.

If I were to give it stars, so far **** and minus 1 because of very expensive run flat tires.
Old 03-22-24, 06:28 AM
zepharus
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so 3 stars? Or are you saying minus 1 to a 4-star total? A couple of points - I have had my 300h AWD for about two weeks now and finally put my 1000 miles of break-in time on the engine. I got the break-in oil change done this AM and took it for a rip afterward. I came from a 2022 Mazda CX-30 Turbo PPT. Top of the line with all the bells and whistles. in 2022 this was 38K out the door. the only things I miss on my 2025 UX 300h are the 360 cam and the memory seats . I REALLY miss memory seats as I'm OCD, but there was no F-handling anywhere near NY and those start at $47k.

Coming from 250HP and 320Lb Ft or torque, I was extremely concerned that I would be massively underwhelmed with the 300h. In the first several days I was as I was both babying the engine for a break-in and dealing with a massive step down in power. After about a week, all of that mild disappointment was gone for me and I vastly prefer this Lexus vs the Mazda. I have driven Turbos for the last 20 years and until you routinely drive something other than turbos, you simply do not understand how the lack of turbo lag affects the driving experience. the fact that this is a hybrid with electric motors and a NA engine makes this 5th system feel superior. Power delivery is smooth and readily on tap. Off the line and on the highway passing power was surprisingly good. with the Mazda, the thing I always loved was the gliding feel on the highway and you were always in the max torque band the way I drove around 75-80 mph. With the 300h, when you step on it to launch or pass, and you get the engine RPMs in the 4-5k range the "feel" of the instant torque is significant and effective. This car glides on the highway as well and is far more comfortable than the Mazda.

I was deciding between this and the Prius Limited AWD. While less for the money here, I'm glad I bought the 300h. As a dude that is approaching 52, I'm shifting my value of a car experience from zip-around corners and speed, to comfort and refined driving experience. I like small cars for the feel and ease of driving. This is the best car driving experience I have had. Heck, this is the best car I have owned period. Absolutely in love with the Lexus experience so far. Below are a few of the pros and cons of this car.

PROS
- 5th gen hybrid system is more powerful and seamless. this car has plenty of "umph" It will not blow you away but you will not be left underwhelmed by a gutless experience. Highway cruising is excellent. Drive it like a diesel, build to RPM then push the pedeal a little further, and repeat. Electric motors push well like this. Don't floor it, it feels underpowered that way.
- Steering is fantastic. Sport mode grows heavier and is tuned perfectly. Sport mode throttle feel is snappy and responsive
- Japanese cars built in Japan are unbeatable. Exquisite fit and finish and extremely solid build quality. I went over with a fine eye and I can't find a single gap or fit issue. Zero creaks or rattles.
- Seats are the most comfortable for long drives I have ever had.
- Lexus UI is simple and easy to navigate (Wish I had a **** or even the old trackpad as I prefer hands-free...might be the only one lol)
- The new LCD dash is nice.
- The ride suspension is perfectly tuned on the Premium. minimal body roll and the turning radius is Fire. ( Gen Z speak for great)
- I dig the heck out of the Palamino interior and the Washi soft touch.

CONS
- As stated above. the wireless charge stinks lol . low change power means the phone still drains when using wireless AA. The rubber pad isn't grippy enough and my phone slides on harder corners. Dont love it.
- This thing is small. Like, no joke small. the back seat isn't for anyone with legs and I mean that. The rear cargo space is short and small. this is a car for empty nesters that won't have many things to move around. If you're gonna move things... seats down or get the cross bars and a Thule or something.
- I don't hate the run flats but when they go, it's Michelin Cross Climate 2s for me.
- 0W-8 Oil. Not a con but be aware!
- Hybrid engine drone if you stay in the 4K plus RPM range. To spend less time there, accelerate quickly then pull back. Once I'm under 4K rpms I never really even notice it. Pulse-Glide works great in this car
- Death to CVTs... but I don't completely loathe this one as it is an eCVT which is different.

That's about it. Feel free to ask anything else.

Last edited by zepharus; 05-12-24 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ukcats (03-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 01:25 PM
mas0907
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mostly good. A few annoyances

Been driving the 2025 UX for a couple of weeks. All in all, a good experience. A couple of things that drive me nuts. 1. Getting back and forth from Android Auto to Sirius radio on Lexus interface is a pain. Way too many taps required and you don’t wind up where you left off. There should be a “Home” button like in most cars. 2. Heads up display doesn’t show Google Maps info or radio information. It’s basically just a static screen for speedometer When I test drove the 2024, it at least showed the radio info when I changed channels.

Like I said, it’s a really nice car and I enjoy driving it

Old 04-24-24, 08:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Despite the name, your hybrids do not actually use CVTs in the sense you guys are using it in, giving it a con. It deserves a plus since it's simple.

Further being higher up helps with safety. So do not wish for low riding CT. But of course you also need good design.

23+ UX is safer in side collision for the driver than new RX and new NX -- those cars still lag behind in protection despite being newer, larger, taller, and heavier than UX. 23+ UX owners rejoice. (safety nerd here)

I like the UX design more than new NX and new RX.