UX Models (2019-present)

Lexus UX

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 03:39 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

the UX boasts a tight 34-foot turning radius.
Tight? That's gargantuan! Maybe they mean "diameter"...

In addition, it's only about 1.4 foot smaller than the IS, so I am not that impressed. :P

Also I am a millennial, technically, but I live in a house and don't particularly like to party, and I actually would never buy this vehicle, so maybe "millennials" as they are so-called, are not all the same and shouldn't be lumped into a group.
Old 03-07-18, 04:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Tight? That's gargantuan! Maybe they mean "diameter"...

In addition, it's only about 1.4 foot smaller than the IS, so I am not that impressed. :P

Also I am a millennial, technically, but I live in a house and don't particularly like to party, and I actually would never buy this vehicle, so maybe "millennials" as they are so-called, are not all the same and shouldn't be lumped into a group.
big difference between RWD and FWD cars... I can turn my IS220d RWD tighter than my wife's small Nissan Note (something like Yaris), so this number is actually pretty good.
Old 03-07-18, 04:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Imagine the new RAV4 eating this things lunch with a stronger powertrain at around the same price. Sure interior may have more plastic, but it has a higher level TNGA based on the CAmry instead of the "C" version.
uh, what? I am sure UX will have more expensive suspension and handle better.

But of course Rav4 will sell better than it... It will likely sell 15x better at best for Lexus.

Heck, Rav4 easily outsells complete Lexus lineup in the USA. I guess it makes Rav4 best vehicle ever?
Old 03-07-18, 05:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

hehe yeah sales does not equal greatness... a false correlation we see over and over, but sales does equal 'fit to market opportunity' so a zillion boring camrys get sold to zillions of people looking for a boring reliable vehicle. a handful of ferraris get sold to a handful or rich people to compensate but the sales quantity does not mean the camry is 'better' than the ferrari.
Old 03-07-18, 07:18 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The styling is okay nothing special. Too many details it's like there were 100 designers all trying to get their ideas into the final product. Why can't Lexus restrain themselves and make something understated and elegant. See Volvo on how to do it right.
The design of cars will never be the same, particularly lexus. Ive made an entire thread on this topic. Look for it in my post if you are interested.

I change my mind about the UX. I think it looks pretty nice. It would be a hard choice between the UX and NX.
Old 03-07-18, 09:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

I think this UX is being marketed towards young urbanites & millennials, and many millennials believe that humans are causing global warming. The conquest buyer for this vehicle despises the glorification of pollution aka big chrome exhaust tips.
I can see where you are coming from with that thought, but the UX is extroverted and in your face all the way around. There is no holding back on the style quotient here. Exhaust tips would be the most mild feature, if added.
Old 03-07-18, 10:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

After studying it over the last few days, I've become fixated on a few glares.

1) I mentioned the no exhaust tip thing. Nothing screams cheap and economy car more than missing tips. Expensive cars have decorations. Cheap cars do not.
2) While the shapes and curves of the dash are very attractive, there is a coal-bin appearance that comes across as cold. There needs to be more brightwork or some wood trim spanning between the center console and glovebox. The NX has the same, staid problem. It is minor things like this that quickly grow old over the course of years of ownership, as more interesting offerings quickly pop up elsewhere.
3) Black wheel flares do not belong on this type of project. This is an urban, sport-luxury-city cruiser that has no need for rock protection around the wheels. The blackwork just makes the wheelwells look bigger, which makes the wheels look smaller.
4) The embedded "A" rear styling looks just as overdone here as it does on the LC. A smooth, clean, and flatter butt would have been nicer punctuation. Protrusions and air slicing should be left to the front, and airflow dumped off in haste out back.
5) Most Lexus models still suffer from excessive front overhang, including this.
6) Another example of the risks and disadvantages of using a full-height grille. Instead of being able to add aggressive and wide lower side air-intakes, all the frontal opening goes to the central grille. This, once again, leaves too much "body" in a spot where most would look for an aggressive, open-air, sporty feature.

I can't help but think how much this might cut into NX sales. If one were looking at a well-optioned UX, there will be a lightly optioned NX a few spots over on the lot. No doubt this crossing over will tug at people's temptation. Often, it's a numbers game, not a model game. The next NX must raise the bar much higher than it does today.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 03-07-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 07:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
uh, what? I am sure UX will have more expensive suspension and handle better.

But of course Rav4 will sell better than it... It will likely sell 15x better at best for Lexus.

Heck, Rav4 easily outsells complete Lexus lineup in the USA. I guess it makes Rav4 best vehicle ever?
The UX is based on the CH-R which is based on the TNGA-C and the Camry is based on a midsize version of the platform. I may be confused with all the nomenclatures. I would think the RAV4 will upgrade to the Camry version of the platform as it will surely grow in size.
Old 03-08-18, 07:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hehe yeah sales does not equal greatness... a false correlation we see over and over, but sales does equal 'fit to market opportunity' so a zillion boring camrys get sold to zillions of people looking for a boring reliable vehicle. a handful of ferraris get sold to a handful or rich people to compensate but the sales quantity does not mean the camry is 'better' than the ferrari.
The answer is always depends. If you need absolute speed and handling plus prestige, Ferrari is superior and great in every way. If you want a car to last 200k miles reliably, Ferraris are inferior in every way and the Camry is greatness materialized for zillions of people.
Old 03-08-18, 09:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

The answer is always depends. If you need absolute speed and handling plus prestige, Ferrari is superior and great in every way. If you want a car to last 200k miles reliably, Ferraris are inferior in every way and the Camry is greatness materialized for zillions of people.
as i said, fit to market opportunity... your two examples are different markets.

this new ux is targeted at the gla, x1, q3, mini, encore and other premium cuvs. it should do well. it will be no rocket.
Old 03-08-18, 12:54 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as i said, fit to market opportunity... your two examples are different markets.

this new ux is targeted at the gla, x1, q3, mini, encore and other premium cuvs. it should do well. it will be no rocket.
Just realized this thing will share powertrains with a lowly Corolla/Auris. Still baffles me why the 2.5L isnt in there when this thing costs more than a Camry with the 2.5L.
Old 03-09-18, 05:24 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I went back and reviewed all the photos of the new UX and the outside is very polarizing there are just too many lines going in all different directions and lacks uniformity especially the rear quarter panels and rear of the vehicle. I’m just not crazy about all the creases and lines in the body just too busy. The interior is a winner. For those reasons and smaller engines I’m out.
Old 03-09-18, 06:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Just realized this thing will share powertrains with a lowly Corolla/Auris. Still baffles me why the 2.5L isnt in there when this thing costs more than a Camry with the 2.5L.
Because the 2.5L doesn't achieve 40% (ICE) and 41% (hybrid) thermal efficiency.
Old 03-09-18, 06:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The UX is based on the CH-R which is based on the TNGA-C and the Camry is based on a midsize version of the platform. I may be confused with all the nomenclatures. I would think the RAV4 will upgrade to the Camry version of the platform as it will surely grow in size.
both versions of TNGA get complex/expensive suspensions, difference is in the size... Unlike before where Corolla got torsion beam at rear, now everything gets double wishbone and handles well.

In fact, we are lucky at how TMC does platforms, it enables them to not share everything like for instance VW group where exact suspension is often shared... case in point:

In the case of the UX, Kako and her team aimed for a more hatchback-esque driving feel, benchmarking cars like the Audi A3, Mercedes A-Class and BMW 1-Series. The UX rides on the same platform as the new Toyota CH-R but it uses aluminum throughout for lighter weight and a lower center of gravity. Additionally, the UX has nine-percent more torsional rigidity than the CH-R and over half of its suspension components are bespoke.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...drive-like-lc/
Old 03-09-18, 07:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Because the 2.5L doesn't achieve 40% (ICE) and 41% (hybrid) thermal efficiency.
Oh, but it does. The new 2.5-litre engine in the 2018 Camry is the first Dynamic Force 4-cylinder, achieving 40% thermal efficiency and 41% thermal efficiency in the Hybrid.

The reason (I believe) that the UX has the 2-litre Dynamic Force-4 and not the 2.5-litre Dynamic Force-4 is because of the size of the vehicles -- the UX is a subcompact / compact vehicle while the Camry is a mid-size vehicle.

We have yet to see the UX standing next to other Toyota and Lexus vehicles, so it seems that we believe it to be larger than it actually is. Its shape and proportions suggest comparison with the NX but I have no doubt that it is a mini-NX.

Quick Reply: Lexus UX