UX Models (2019-present)

First week impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 05:44 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First week impressions

Now that I’ve been driving the UX for a week I thought I’d share my thoughts on it so far

- Hybrid powertrain is incredibly smooth and refined. The electric motors provide great torque on takeoff and low to medium speed acceleration. At highway speeds the ICE kicks in and provides adequate acceleration. Not quite like the turbo on my NX did but they’re very different engines, so that’s expected. The auto stop-start for the ICE is smooth and not very noticeable.

- The car handles pretty well. I already took it on a 400mi road trip mixed with highway and two lane mountain road driving and it is a very easy car to drive. Less body roll than the NX and I feel like the steering is more accurate.

- I will never get tired of playing with the F-Sport instrument cluster.

- So far I’m getting about 39MPG with mixed highway and city driving

- Active Sound Control is so so fake on this. I first noticed it during the test drive. When it’s on, it mimicks the sound of a car with an automatic transmission accelerating. Even when you’re in EV mode.

Old 02-23-19, 10:23 AM
Stacey2447
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How are you finding the seat ? I’m having difficult finding that “sweet spot”. I find it’s straining on my upper back shoulder area. I’ve moved the seat every way I can and still feel a strain. Any suggestions on how you are sitting comfortably?? Other than that I am loving mine as well. I’ve had it about a month.
Old 02-23-19, 12:45 PM
gregorTT
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
Active Sound Control is so so fake on this. I first noticed it during the test drive. When it’s on, it mimicks the sound of a car with an automatic transmission accelerating. Even when you’re in EV mode.
Concur on all points, particularly this one about the ASC. I am really enjoying my 250h F Sport; however, every time I turn ASC on, it makes me laugh as it sounds like a video game to me. You might not be going fast, but it sure sounds like it - lol.....The novelty of it wore off really quick.

As for the seats, I find them to be very comfortable for my 6'4" frame. No strain or pressure points so far!

Last edited by gregorTT; 02-23-19 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Add info on seats
Old 02-24-19, 05:01 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m 6’1” and I find the seats to be comfortable. I have hit my knee against the dash panel where the ASC and HUD buttons are a few times when getting into the car. It kind of sticks out into the ingress/egress path. I had to change how I sit down in the car to avoid hitting that panel.

Old 02-24-19, 05:38 AM
Stacey2447
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It takes getting used to. For the first week I kept hitting my head and I’m only 5’4. Coming from a pick up and an explorer have to get used to crouching down to get in.
Old 02-28-19, 04:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
Now that I’ve been driving the UX for a week I thought I’d share my thoughts on it so far

- Hybrid powertrain is incredibly smooth and refined. The electric motors provide great torque on takeoff and low to medium speed acceleration. At highway speeds the ICE kicks in and provides adequate acceleration. Not quite like the turbo on my NX did but they’re very different engines, so that’s expected. The auto stop-start for the ICE is smooth and not very noticeable.
If you were not already familiar with Toyota and Lexus Hybrids, that is how they work and how they behave. Unlike an internal combustion engine, in which torque has to build and climb, electric motors have (close to) maximum torque available immediately, giving the Hybrid quick pickup from stop. The electric motor also helps out a lot to smooth out the engine and acceleration, unlike the more sudden nature of a turbocharger.

And since there is no traditional, small starter motor, but rather a larger, more powerful electric motor/generator to start and restart the engine, engine starts are very smooth and quiet (and, as you said, barely noticeable).

Because of this behaviour, I cannot and will not go back to driving a traditional internal combustion engine, non-hybrid vehicle (unless I am driving some other car, like my wife's car, a loaner or a rental).