UX Models (2019-present)

UX for an RC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 05:33 AM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts
Default UX for an RC?

We currently have an RC and NX, and love each one for their own things. But we are at the point in our lease with the RC that we can flip out of it. The NX is mine and is lowered on springs and has aftermarket wheels/tires. Nothing drastic or that can't be put back stock when the time comes. Recently my wife has been eyeing the UX pretty hard, especially the Hybrid F Sport. We originally just thought we would get another RC but lately she is not so interested in another one. Power is not our concern, so the "downgrade" in power will not make any difference to us. The only major concern of ours is the Lexus quality. Is the UX up to par with the other Lexus' models? I know there are going to be shortcomings, but all in all is the Lexus feel there?

Also, we would plan on at least adding wheels/tires and possibly lowering it. I see there aren't many wheel choices out there yet. So what are some good brands to source for the UX? My internet searched has come up short to say the least.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-19, 05:49 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I see vossens has some galleries of the UX

https://vossenwheels.com/galleries/l...-series-vfs-1/
Old 10-28-19, 06:31 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

I'll give you my small take. I came from a LS (not the newer LS500, but the 460 right before that).

I long ago owned as well a CT200h, as we all know it is the entry-level Lexus in their lineup, it was a f-sport special edition (had all the f sport goodies but also came with chassis braces and tumi luggage and this blue/black hued interior). I loved it, I loved it despite the reviews of it being a slow car; which I found hilarious, it's a hybrid. It's not a 918 or NSX type of hybrid, it's a commuter hybrid that does more than adequate for a daily commute as its intended to do. Sadly a year later which I regret to this very day, I sold it and jumped.. all the way to the LS 460. I loved that car too but it was vastly different, far more torque, interior was night and day difference in terms of 'finish', and the ride quality was obviously like a boat, but you're also comparing a stock height (non f-sport LS) to a factory lowered and smaller wheelbase compact hatch.

I missed my CT so much I actually scoured for it a year later but found out it was still locally owned, just not for sale; I debated on getting another CT and knew about the whole "flagship sedan back down to the entry level mark", but I didn't care, if I wanted another LS or even a GS-F or whatever else, I would buy one; that wasn't the point. I missed the compact-ness of the CT, but I always wished the interior was a bit more.. up to date.

Enter, the UX. I actually at the time when I first saw the UX, knowing that it replaced the CT.. I absolutely despised it due to my biased opinion to the CT. I disliked everything about it especially the wheel arches that were clad in that graphite color that resembled my mother's NX. However when I found out that their hybrids came in AWD standard here in the Midwest and the hybrids also had an option of being an F-sport, I was definitely interested. This is also right around the time when my fiancee's parents purchased a white NX (non hybrid) f sport with that roja red interior. I was in love with the color combo. I was hoping they offered the same type of set up in the UX, so I started doing much more in-depth research.

I finally went to the dealership about 3-4 months later, I saw a few UXs in person and in person, it was absolutely great. The standard Lexus 2.0, the compactness - I loved it all. I did of course notice the hybrid's trunk is a tad smaller due to the battery being there compared to a standard non-hybrid model. The infotainment obviously is not the best, as many Lexus owners should know by now, but overall the fit and finish compared to a CT; is galaxies apart. The CT is not bad on the inside by any means at all; it's just a little dated. How does the UX compare to let's say my LS? Again, negating the OP's idea of power; the fit and finish for interior is quite good, I have had zero complaints, granted there are a few more plastic/vinyl pieces than the LS which is basically a lot of japanese wood and aluminum/chrome trim, but you're also comparing a $80k car to a +$40k car. Is the Lexus feel there? In my opinion, yes.

Do not think though that the UX being an entry-level hatch in the Lexus lineup, that the interior or overall fit and finish is bad. I can attest to that, owning a plethora of Lexus vehicles in my lifetime. My only gripe thus far in my 2-3 months of ownership so far here is pretty small and more or less has to do with where my live, I have a tree that hangs over my car with these tiny little leaves, over time in the autumn season, these leaves will fall and get caught in the cracks of the UX and sometimes even in the wheel flares. Does it mean the fit and finish is bad? No, it's just a gripe. My buddy has an RC (F) and that car is fun, but he complains about how it being his daily (he has a work car but he splits between the two); it's a bit bothersome. Comparing a two-door sport coupe to a 4 door hatch, it's really apples to oranges but in the end, I think you'll find the UX to be quite rewarding.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (10-28-19)
Old 10-28-19, 03:48 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I sat in the UX in the dealer, that's the only experience I have. But I'm a pretty good judge I'd say. I liked it and the quality was nice. It wouldn't be quite up to the level of the GS, ES, RC though. It's just nice but not that nice. You do get more quality generally the higher up the MSRP chain you go. Panels are thicker, put together with more sophistication, materials are upgraded, more seals are used, things are painted as opposed to raw. you get more for your money w/ something higher typically.

For example the GS has painted mirror frames and the CT, IS, and RC does not. Despite them all sharing the same mirror.

but really any lexus you buy will have nice quality. you won't be disappointed. certainly way nicer than any lower level Toyota or Honda. I have a CT F Sport (facelift) and it was in the body shop two months. I rented everything under the sun from Toyota, Nissan, etc. When I got into my low level CT, it felt SO premium compared. I took it for granted. It felt like a high quality luxury liner compared. I rented new camrys, corollas, rogues. all 2019/2020. all hard plastic. all rough. all buzzy and choppy. i couldn't believe how high quality the CT felt. you start noticing things when you jump into a different car then back into yours.
signdetres (10-29-19)
Old 10-28-19, 04:34 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

I know it sounds crazy but we have owned over 33 vehicles since our marriage of 17 years. So we have had a plethora of vehicles. Some cheap, some expensive. The 2 vehicles we have now are the NX for me and the RC for her. The one thing we love about Lexus? When you close the door and ride down the road, you don't hear rattles or wind noise or any of that, not even in her 2017 RC F Sport. These are by far the 2 most inviting interiors we have ever owned. Now, granted they are new or fairly new. Our daughter has a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite and even it isn't as inviting as our Lexus'. We were so sold on Lexus when we only had the RC, I knew my next vehicle would be the NX, we even tried to buy our daughter the UX when she got her license, but she insisted on the Jeep. Now, she wants my NX. Go figure! My wife has ALWAYS wanted an Ultra White CT F Sport, maybe the UX Hybrid F Sport will fill that want...who knows? Time will tell.
Old 10-29-19, 09:18 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Is the Lexus feeling there? Yes and no. Fit and finish is great but Lexus did cheap out on the rear. Everything in front screams Lexus quality, the material that they used on the dash to all the buttons, it feels solid. Everything in the back is really Toyota-ish. Too much plastic, and very basic. I don't know if you have dog(s). I do and they easily scratched the rear plastic door panel. Their nails are not that sharp. I had my dogs in my 2016 IS and my 2006 GS and they could never scratch the door panels.

Being a "crossover" (it's more of a hatchback), I can't believe they didn't add a 110\120v outlet. The Toyota Matrix has them. Trying to clean up dog fur with a puny 12v outlet just doesn't work. Speaking of 12v outlet, there is not one inside the center armrest. It would be handy if I need to use an inverter to charge my laptop if the front 12v is in use.

Since it shares the same powertrain as the Corolla and Corolla HB, expect some engine vibration to travel into the vehicle and expect the typical 4 banger noise. I've compared the UX to some of its rivals. I don't think it compares. It's too small compared to the XC40, Q3 or the X2.

My feelings are mixed. I like the car but I also hate it and I kind of regret not getting the NX.

Is the UX a better CT replacement. No. IMO, the CT is miles ahead of the UX in terms of quality, fit and finish.
Old 10-29-19, 12:10 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

My only experience with the UX was at a Lexus driving event where I took it on a short "agility" course. I drove a UX250h F-Sport. All of it was low-speed but I immediately noticed the feeling of the pavement under the car. I could really feel the roughness of it. To me, this isn't what I associate with Lexus feel. In my GS at low speeds, you really feel nothing. No vibration/roughness of the pavement beneath you, which I prefer & is what I tend to associate with Lexus feel.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-19, 02:13 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Thanks guys! Keep the opinions coming, really they are helpful in making this decision. I haven't spent much time in the UX yet, we have tinted 2 of them in our shop and I only got in them for a minute. I have been offered to take one home or on a drive for a few hours from our local Lexus dealer. I may take them up on it some time soon.
Old 10-29-19, 08:54 PM
oregonkat
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I'll give you my small take. I came from a LS (not the newer LS500, but the 460 right before that).

I long ago owned as well a CT200h, as we all know it is the entry-level Lexus in their lineup, it was a f-sport special edition (had all the f sport goodies but also came with chassis braces and tumi luggage and this blue/black hued interior). I loved it, I loved it despite the reviews of it being a slow car; which I found hilarious, it's a hybrid. It's not a 918 or NSX type of hybrid, it's a commuter hybrid that does more than adequate for a daily commute as its intended to do. Sadly a year later which I regret to this very day, I sold it and jumped.. all the way to the LS 460. I loved that car too but it was vastly different, far more torque, interior was night and day difference in terms of 'finish', and the ride quality was obviously like a boat, but you're also comparing a stock height (non f-sport LS) to a factory lowered and smaller wheelbase compact hatch.

I missed my CT so much I actually scoured for it a year later but found out it was still locally owned, just not for sale; I debated on getting another CT and knew about the whole "flagship sedan back down to the entry level mark", but I didn't care, if I wanted another LS or even a GS-F or whatever else, I would buy one; that wasn't the point. I missed the compact-ness of the CT, but I always wished the interior was a bit more.. up to date.

Enter, the UX. I actually at the time when I first saw the UX, knowing that it replaced the CT.. I absolutely despised it due to my biased opinion to the CT. I disliked everything about it especially the wheel arches that were clad in that graphite color that resembled my mother's NX. However when I found out that their hybrids came in AWD standard here in the Midwest and the hybrids also had an option of being an F-sport, I was definitely interested. This is also right around the time when my fiancee's parents purchased a white NX (non hybrid) f sport with that roja red interior. I was in love with the color combo. I was hoping they offered the same type of set up in the UX, so I started doing much more in-depth research.

I finally went to the dealership about 3-4 months later, I saw a few UXs in person and in person, it was absolutely great. The standard Lexus 2.0, the compactness - I loved it all. I did of course notice the hybrid's trunk is a tad smaller due to the battery being there compared to a standard non-hybrid model. The infotainment obviously is not the best, as many Lexus owners should know by now, but overall the fit and finish compared to a CT; is galaxies apart. The CT is not bad on the inside by any means at all; it's just a little dated. How does the UX compare to let's say my LS? Again, negating the OP's idea of power; the fit and finish for interior is quite good, I have had zero complaints, granted there are a few more plastic/vinyl pieces than the LS which is basically a lot of japanese wood and aluminum/chrome trim, but you're also comparing a $80k car to a +$40k car. Is the Lexus feel there? In my opinion, yes.

Do not think though that the UX being an entry-level hatch in the Lexus lineup, that the interior or overall fit and finish is bad. I can attest to that, owning a plethora of Lexus vehicles in my lifetime. My only gripe thus far in my 2-3 months of ownership so far here is pretty small and more or less has to do with where my live, I have a tree that hangs over my car with these tiny little leaves, over time in the autumn season, these leaves will fall and get caught in the cracks of the UX and sometimes even in the wheel flares. Does it mean the fit and finish is bad? No, it's just a gripe. My buddy has an RC (F) and that car is fun, but he complains about how it being his daily (he has a work car but he splits between the two); it's a bit bothersome. Comparing a two-door sport coupe to a 4 door hatch, it's really apples to oranges but in the end, I think you'll find the UX to be quite rewarding.
You've saved me a lot of writing, as I share your feelings, and some experiences, exactly! I really liked the UX when I saw it while waiting for an oil change on my CT, which was up to 95,000 miles, but totally perfect and loaded. I made a snap decision and drove out in the UX. BUT, while I'm very happy with everything about it, I still miss my CT. There are definitely some things I like better about the UX, loaded with every option and so much new technology, so it's certainly an upgrade (but did hate to leave the old one behind).

I would have bought a new CT in a minute, but obviously not possible, and I didn't want to go too big either. Although the UX inside feels much larger, when the two cars were parked next to each other, there did not appear as much of a size difference as I thought. And while there's a bit more cargo space, I was surprised to find the hatch opening slightly narrower on the UX. Although I haven't counted, there could be dozens of new features not found on the CT. I like them all! Time to move on.
tofuprod (11-01-19)
Old 10-31-19, 05:08 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Welcome to the UX forum. I believe you saw these two threads in particular the ownership review thread so I won't regurgitate the details

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ux-...d-updates.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ux-...od-or-bad.html

However, I did own the RC F for two years and I can provide some feedback. The RC is a half notch better in interior build quality - not everywhere, but for instance the door panels and rear side panels (nicer softer and hard plastics/vinyl). The dash is about the same, both cars with some lower hard plastics, but nice tactile button feel. The RC still does have the "Toyota" cruise control stalk whereas the UX has the LS steering wheel with fully integrated buttons for the cruise and other functions.

The RC's turning circle is fairly large and you'd notice immediately the ease of turning in the UX thanks to its tight turning circle. Fuel economy (and cost) of course is day and night, especially when you consider you're going from 91 to 87 octane. Of course space, practicality, etc are obvious as to which car wins here.

Anything specific you'd like to know further, please post! Happy shopping!
Old 11-01-19, 11:20 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
Is the Lexus feeling there? Yes and no. Fit and finish is great but Lexus did cheap out on the rear. Everything in front screams Lexus quality, the material that they used on the dash to all the buttons, it feels solid. Everything in the back is really Toyota-ish. Too much plastic, and very basic. I don't know if you have dog(s). I do and they easily scratched the rear plastic door panel. Their nails are not that sharp. I had my dogs in my 2016 IS and my 2006 GS and they could never scratch the door panels.
Ok, this is one thing I can also agree with. We own two shiba inus (both about 20 - 25 pounds each) and we are pretty on-top-of-it when it comes to their health, grooming, etc. if anything, we are a little obsessive :P. I can agree withe door trim getting scratches easily even from smaller/medium sized dogs alone. I keep my dogs separate, the fiancee takes one and I take the other in my car, and we both have them in full harnesses which is linked to the dog/safety belt which latches into the seatbelts. Even then, the UX interior on that top trim by the window scratches much easier than the trim in the lady's IS250. The material is simply just not as up to par. When I first got the UX I was enraged by it, but honestly at the end of the day, while I really like my car(s), I just love my dogs more. The materials can always get replaced if not repaired in the long run.