UX Models (2019-present)

Triple-Beam Headlights Option (Fantastic)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 05:21 AM
ryarian
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Triple-Beam Headlights Option (Fantastic)

I just recently purchased a UX 250H Luxury with the Triple-Beam headlights and I'm glad I did. I was told by the dealer that they would never receive a car for inventory because the triple-beam option was too expensive and no one would be wiling to pay it. I am 70 and my eyes while OK aren't getting any better. So I decided to order a UX 250H Luxury with them and see for myself if they were worth it. I ordered the car on June 8th and was notified that the car arrived in Annapolis Md. on Oct. 23rd 2019. The dealer insisted that the triple-beam headlights moved up and down bot not laterally in conjunction with the steering wheel and that they were in fact not adaptive. Dealers don't always know what they are talking about. These headlights are fantastic they move both vertically and laterally as noted each time the car is started as they recalibrate themselves. This can be observed by the light pattern observed as they reflect from objects in front of the car. Prior to taking delivery of the car I requested a night drive of the vehicle so that I could objectively evaluate the performance of this $1600.00 lighting option. The salesman that accompanied me had owned several models of Lexus cars and remarked that this car had not only the brightest lights of any car he had been in but that the dispersion pattern was much wider than any Lexus he had driven. I went to the IIHS website where safety features including headlights are rated and there I discovered that the triple-beam headlights were in fact magnificent compared to the standard headlights. Headlights are rated at four levels going from (Good-Acceptable-Marginal-Poor). The triple-beam variety are rated as Good and adaptive (dealerships don't always know their products) while the standard headlights are rated as poor. Click on this link if your interested in the details as to these ratings.( https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...-door-suv/2019 ) This link shows a schematic of the light dispersion by the light packages and models of the UX. You can also search this website for any new car to see its rating. I would encourage everyone considering a upgrade to consider the triple-beam headlights as an option worth considering unfortunately you won't find them available on your standard inventory UX models at most dealers. I love my UX and the best thing about the care is the headlights. Everyone I have taken for a ride at night has remarked that they have never been in a car that illuminated the road as well. Something to consider if you are buying a new UX.
The following users liked this post:
kok8 (11-14-19)
Old 11-14-19, 02:18 PM
kok8
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am one of the lucky ones! They turn as you turn and light road signs when needed! You have to see it to believe it...
Old 11-15-19, 12:23 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

What month was your car built? Before July 2019 was rated Acceptable and Lexus made some changes to cars built after July 2019 where it was then rated good. Triple beam only.
Old 11-15-19, 03:47 PM
ryarian
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So as I mentioned in my opening statement I ordered my UX in June and it was delivered at the end of October 2019. I believe it was built in either late mid to late Sep. or Early Nov. I am aware that if it was built prior to July the triple beam headlights were only rated as acceptable by the IIHS. If you went to the link I provided you will note that these headlights were re-evaluated post July and rated as good. This can not be said of the standard headlights. They were rated poor and remain that way as of today. I guess I was fortunate that I waited, but irregardless they were substantially better than the standard headlights back in early June. I just think that it is sad that the dealership didn't even know that the headlights were adaptive. I might also say that in early May my wife and I were considering the new RAV4 Hybrid Limited with adaptive headlights. The option of adaptive headlights on the RAV4 is only on the highest trim level. Interestingly the vehicles with this feature were manufactured in Canada only. Japan was making the Panoramic Moonroof and Canada was producing the models with the adaptive headlights. You couldn't have both options. A survey was conducted on the RAV4 Forum similar to this forum and the consensus was 60% of those wanting to purchase a new RAV4 hybrid preferred the adaptive headlights to the panoramic moonroof. I tried in May to order a RAV4 with the adaptive headlights but couldn't find a dealer that was willing or able to place a custom order form me, so I switched my attention to the Lexus UX 250H. I am so glad that I got the triple beam led headlights it is the best feature of the car. I might also add that this car is replacing a 2016 Level 4 decked out Prius. I gave that car to my son and he loves it and it is perfect for his LA Driving commute. As I mentioned I waited about 120 day to get my car and the salesman I was working with left the dealership about 2.5 months after the car was ordered. I called the dealership in early Sept. to see if the vehicle was being built and was told that my car was in the cue and thats al they knew. I decided I needed to have a backup plan if this car didn't come to fruition, so I started watching youtube videos to identify another vehicle that I might like. I settled on the Tesla Model 3 and test drove one twice one in early October and again in mid October. I must say I really liked that car and was developing mixed feelings about the UX. The Model 3 is an amazing car. The one I was considering had all wheel drive and a range of 310 miles. The UX I got was fully loaded and cost $43,000.00. The Tesla was about $47,000.00 with tax credits. By the way the headlight rating for the Model 3 is also good according to the IIHS.