UX Models (2019-present)

Highway road noise. Any fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-21, 05:32 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I had her for a drive down the Jersey Shore today, a one hr ride each way. Temps were somewhat cooler than yesterday and the section of Parkway I was on was perhaps a little better than yesterday's drive. The tire noise is still there but now I think it's a lot better than the Accord 2.0T that I had previously (and hated for its road noise). We usually take our NX down this road but I wanted to see the gas consumption which was in the 44-45 mpg range.

Cheers
Old 06-13-21, 06:53 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith
I understand about the insulation approach and agree. But I wanted to know what steps Lexus has taken beyond the equivalent Toyota Vehicle. I have driven other models and counterparts and there is such a huge difference. Is there electronic wave cancellation going on (from what I have found it's no). How much have they already installed at the factory and where is there room for improvement? For instance from peeking under the trunk - there's not a lot there. Anyway about costs, beyond materials, there is a lot of labor here and would not be surprised with 4 - 8 hours of work. It's not cheap but it may be worth it.

Cheers
Extra wheel well undercoating is one place I know the Lexus engineers have gone above and beyond a normal Toyota vehicle.

source at 8mins in this video:
Old 07-01-21, 04:41 PM
Pumpkins
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an f-sport last week and it’s my first time driving a hybrid; I have to say, compare with city driving, the noise on highway driving is too loud, almost unbearable, I could barely heard the radio (volume at 20) at around 60 - 65 mph; was wondering if the luxury models with acoustic side glass have much better noise isolation?
Old 07-02-21, 02:53 AM
Jimmy3864
Driver School Candidate

Default NX ow we as well

Our 2019 UX Hybrid has a lot of road noise as well. I believe it is the runflat tires as that I had similar louder road noise with the run flats in my BMW. It is definitely noisier than my 2017 NX F-Sport.

Once the run flats wear out, I will be replacing with non-run flats. Significantly quieter and much better ride.
Old 07-02-21, 06:13 AM
Funride
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy3864
Our 2019 UX Hybrid has a lot of road noise as well. I believe it is the runflat tires as that I had similar louder road noise with the run flats in my BMW. It is definitely noisier than my 2017 NX F-Sport.

Once the run flats wear out, I will be replacing with non-run flats. Significantly quieter and much better ride.
When the time comes, I think I too will replace my run-flats with regular tires and just keep a can of Fix a Flat in the car. I drive about 11k miles per year and currently have 21k miles on my 2019 - I have read that run-flats wear out sooner than regular tires, but I hope I get a couple of more years of them - will be thrilled if I get more.

I will add that I think my car if fairly quiet - I haven't noticed a lot of excessive road noise and the ride is smooth.

Last edited by Funride; 07-02-21 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 04:50 AM
doosey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tomatie
They are stock tires, Brigestone Turanza El450 18".
Just a reminder this is a brand new car, 2019 model. Are other UX owners having the same problem as me? I see people installing deadening mats on a decade old car, but this is a brand new Lexus.

As for swapping out tires, i would hate to waste 3 months old tires that are in perfect condition.

Basically if all UX owners are having the same problem as me, i will probably learn to live with it. Is it possible it was a manufacturer defect? Insulation not put in, weatherstripping not put in properly? is that possible?
I also have this problem. I had hoped this would be a "luxury" albeit compact car - got the top spec. Noise through doors/windows is ok, but "road noise " from downstairs is really irritating. Run-flat tires are probably one issue, but I suspect they saved on insulation because it is their entry-level vehicle, and also to keep MPG low. My husband drives an IS 300h and it is much quieter. (uses less MPG too!) Go figure. I am terribly disappointed, but have only myself to blame - I did a preorder based on my experiences with the IS300h and my previous car (Prius), and didn't do a test drive.
Looked at alternative tires - but why spend 1000.- for 1 db improvement? And Dynamat installation would be very costly here in Switzerland.
Old 07-23-21, 07:39 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The type of road surface makes a big difference. Newer asphalt is very quiet, concrete as well. Older, eroded concrete and rough asphalt are terrible. It really is just the tires, there are other quieter run-flats out there.

I added a dynamat type adhesive/foam mat in the back. Now I'm worried if I should have done that as I read somewhere that it can get really hot there. I don't hear much of a difference as the noise is mostly there with bad roads and I avoid those lately when I can.

Last edited by jsmith; 07-23-21 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-30-21, 10:08 AM
chrispyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsmith
The type of road surface makes a big difference. Newer asphalt is very quiet, concrete as well. Older, eroded concrete and rough asphalt are terrible. It really is just the tires, there are other quieter run-flats out there.

I added a dynamat type adhesive/foam mat in the back. Now I'm worried if I should have done that as I read somewhere that it can get really hot there. I don't hear much of a difference as the noise is mostly there with bad roads and I avoid those lately when I can.
I'm approaching a year of ownership of my 2020 UX 250h and while I noticed tire noise during the test drives, I thought I'd adapt (I was coming from another luxury vehicle with run flats and it was starting to get loud as the tires wore down). I haven't. I love the car so decided to invest in having a local audio specialty shop put dynamat in the doors, rear area, and on the floor.

It is much quieter and the audio performance is *much* better. Nonetheless, this vehicle, with its shorter wheel base, will never reach the sound of silence--and road noise is still dependent on the road surface. New surfaces? The car is a dream to drive. Surfaces chewed up by studded snow tires and semi traffic? Not so much. I'll grit my teeth until I feel I've gotten enough use out of my tires and then go to non-run-flats unless someone here has experience with a truly quiet run flat. I only have 9k on the car right now (covid has put a damper on my typical 15k+/year driving) so it may be awhile.

Anyway, I have no qualms in recommending the installation of sound deadening material, as long as you install it in as many places as your budget allows. The shop I went to recommended I start with the rear hatch area and the doors. I later had the floors done. Next up? Should I desire, in addition to tire replacement, I'll add an amp and replace the factory speakers.
The following users liked this post:
frankmj23 (07-13-23)
Old 07-31-21, 07:14 AM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrispyk
I love the car so decided to invest in having a local audio specialty shop put dynamat in the doors, rear area, and on the floor.

It is much quieter and the audio performance is *much* better.
About how much was the install? I'd like it for audio performance, and the quieter road noise would be a nice bonus.
Old 08-11-21, 08:10 AM
chrispyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ludlow94
About how much was the install? I'd like it for audio performance, and the quieter road noise would be a nice bonus.
If I recall, the total cost for labor and materials to deaden the rear compartment, all doors, and floor was about $1700 at a local car audio shop. (I had the work done in two phases--first the doors and rear compartment; that made the most difference.) If you have time and patience (maybe I'm only talking to myself re patience!) and are comfortable with taking off door panels, etc, then it seems to be a pretty straightforward DIY job.

I returned a couple days ago from a camping roadtrip and with these tires, the biggest impact on road noise is road surface--to be expected. The cargo space, however, has me second-guessing whether I should've looked more carefully at an RX model. But that's another topic

Old 08-20-21, 05:41 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, too add to this thread, Car and Driver's specs show the luxury trim level cars come with "Acoustic Laminated Front Side Door Glass" while the base and F-Sport do not.

https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/u...ux_2020/411159

Additionally, the electric version in Europe has additional insulation that the regular and hybrid versions don't get. Here is an image of that:

Last edited by QwkSC; 08-20-21 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-20-21, 06:41 AM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrispyk
If I recall, the total cost for labor and materials to deaden the rear compartment, all doors, and floor was about $1700 at a local car audio shop. (I had the work done in two phases--first the doors and rear compartment; that made the most difference.) If you have time and patience (maybe I'm only talking to myself re patience!) and are comfortable with taking off door panels, etc, then it seems to be a pretty straightforward DIY job.

I returned a couple days ago from a camping roadtrip and with these tires, the biggest impact on road noise is road surface--to be expected. The cargo space, however, has me second-guessing whether I should've looked more carefully at an RX model. But that's another topic
I missed your reply, but thanks for that information. I might tackle that in phases, but I don't necessarily know if the bang:buck ratio is worth it for the sound improvement. I hear you on cargo space, though. I don't have kids, so I have plenty of room for everything with the back seats folded down, but I could see how the space fills quickly when people need to sit in the back. I looked at the RX, too, but getting a fully loaded UX with every bell/whistle for $15k less than a comparable RX is what swayed me.
Old 08-20-21, 09:35 AM
chrispyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ludlow94
I missed your reply, but thanks for that information. I might tackle that in phases, but I don't necessarily know if the bang:buck ratio is worth it for the sound improvement. I hear you on cargo space, though. I don't have kids, so I have plenty of room for everything with the back seats folded down, but I could see how the space fills quickly when people need to sit in the back. I looked at the RX, too, but getting a fully loaded UX with every bell/whistle for $15k less than a comparable RX is what swayed me.
As I thought through some of the limitations that I've faced over the past year (bumping up against cargo space and road clearance limitations and regretting not having gotten the nav package since I spend enough time out of cell range), I traded my 250h in last week for a CPO 2020 NX 300... Maybe not the most fiscally responsible move and my eco footprint grew substantially vis a vis MPG. But I did ok enough on the transaction (trade value was ~9% depreciation on the UX; purchased the NX at 16% depreciated value--this is not the best shopping environment for buying but it turns out to be ok for trade-ins since dealers want inventory). Or that's my rationalization anyway! (I wasn't willing to go for the RX price point--or to get the price point I wanted, along with the features, it would've been older than I was willing to take on right now.)
Old 03-11-23, 07:15 AM
TommyUX
1st Gear

Hi there, not sure if you still have your UX but I just bought a Certified 2019 UX250h with 24,000 miles and I am absolutely thrilled with it! It drives like a dream. I came out of a 2015 Ct200h which as you know were never known to be very quiet. The UX is like a vault in comparison! I do hear the run-flats on the highway, especially when it rains and the pavement is wet. But in comparison, the UX is extremely refined and quiet. You may have had some odd issue with yours.

Last edited by TommyUX; 03-11-23 at 07:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
frankmj23 (07-13-23)
Old 03-11-23, 09:51 AM
Funride
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My last post was 1 1/2 years ago and I now have 46k miles on my 2019 UXh. I'm still running on the original tires and expect to replace them late summer/early fall, and I will definitely get regular tires.