UX Models (2019-present)

📸 Installed a Dash Cam in my UX 📽️

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 09:59 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 📸 Installed a Dash Cam in my UX 📽️

I have had dashcams in my cars for a number of years now and my new UX is no different. Yesterday I installed the Aukey DR02 that I bought online. It is 1080P HD in resolution and is quite small (compared to others I've used).

I hardwired it directly to the cabin fuse box to a switched circuit (meaning the power is off when the car is off). I used an "add-a-circuit" type of hardwiring kit (also bought online). See my detailed fuse box photos below.

The running of the wiring (and hiding of the wires) was super simple. At the top, it is tucked inside behind the headliner, goes across the inside of the top of the A-pillar (without interfering with the side airbag), tucked inside the weatherstripping all the way down to where it can go into the side of the dash, to the fusebox, out-of-sight. The only wire you can see is from the top of the windshield (or "windscreen", for you non-North Americans) to the camera—about 7-8 cm (or 3 inches for you Americans). 😉

My only complaint is that the fuse box cover can't be put back on. So that you don't lose it, you can either double-stick tape it next to the fuse box for future reference or keep under the cargo floor storage area (which is what I did).

Aukey DR02 Dashcam in my UX 250h F-Sport

How I hardwired the Aukey DR02 Dashcam in my UX 250h F-Sport using a switched circuit

In-cabin fuse box cover legend in my UX 250h F-Sport

Last edited by NXOwner; 12-12-19 at 10:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NXOwner:
GrizzlyMan (08-08-21), wifesUX (03-20-20)
Old 12-13-19, 04:23 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 202 Posts

Yep, I have a similar one (the rexing V1P) installed on the S2000 and the IS250, I've always run dashcams for years before they were even "the thing to do".
In my UX I run a Vantrue N2Pro, It's decent and the nice things about them is all of these dash cams I run fit just fine around the Covercraft sunshades I put on them in the summer so it shields them all too without that need to remove them daily.

Nice work, clean install.
Old 12-13-19, 08:28 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Yep, I have a similar one (the rexing V1P) installed on the S2000 and the IS250, I've always run dashcams for years before they were even "the thing to do".
In my UX I run a Vantrue N2Pro, It's decent and the nice things about them is all of these dash cams I run fit just fine around the Covercraft sunshades I put on them in the summer so it shields them all too without that need to remove them daily.
The Aukey is my first dashcam that mounts flush against the glass. So far, so good.

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Nice work, clean install.
Thanks!
Old 12-14-19, 01:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Great DIY! I had bought a cheaper dashcam on Amazon that plugs into the 12V outlet in the center console. I passed the wire underneath the console trim for a seamless look. Downside is it takes up a bit of the precious space from the console.
The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
Kajnbabe (08-24-20), NXOwner (12-14-19)
Old 01-23-20, 04:53 PM
Dylamax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I have had dashcams in my cars for a number of years now and my new UX is no different. Yesterday I installed the Aukey DR02 that I bought online. It is 1080P HD in resolution and is quite small (compared to others I've used).

I hardwired it directly to the cabin fuse box to a switched circuit (meaning the power is off when the car is off). I used an "add-a-circuit" type of hardwiring kit (also bought online). See my detailed fuse box photos below.

The running of the wiring (and hiding of the wires) was super simple. At the top, it is tucked inside behind the headliner, goes across the inside of the top of the A-pillar (without interfering with the side airbag), tucked inside the weatherstripping all the way down to where it can go into the side of the dash, to the fusebox, out-of-sight. The only wire you can see is from the top of the windshield (or "windscreen", for you non-North Americans) to the camera—about 7-8 cm (or 3 inches for you Americans). 😉

My only complaint is that the fuse box cover can't be put back on. So that you don't lose it, you can either double-stick tape it next to the fuse box for future reference or keep under the cargo floor storage area (which is what I did).

How I hardwired the Aukey DR02 Dashcam in my UX 250h F-Sport using a switched circuit

In-cabin fuse box cover legend in my UX 250h F-Sport
thanks! I joined the forum just to say thank you. I went ahead and got the exact same set up. I’m not the handiest, so without this I would’ve had a mess. The install went great! As soon as I realized where the fuse box was (right behind the hood latch) it went smoothly. Thanks again!
Old 01-23-20, 11:05 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Dylamax
thanks! I joined the forum just to say thank you. I went ahead and got the exact same set up. I’m not the handiest, so without this I would’ve had a mess. The install went great! As soon as I realized where the fuse box was (right behind the hood latch) it went smoothly. Thanks again!
My pleasure!

I’ve done a few step-by-step DYI posts in the past—mainly over on the NX forum—but plan on doing more UX-related DYI posts.
Old 03-20-20, 11:36 AM
wifesUX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post @NXOwner ! The wife just got a 2020 UX 250h and this seems to be the only post on the internet about adding a dashcam. For the wire routing, did you remove the A pillar trim? I'm trying to figure out how to cross over the A-pillar from the windscreen to the weatherstripping without interfering with the side airbag. Not sure if I can just shove it into the headliner/A-pillar trim gap or if the airbag is in that vicinity. Any insight would be appreciated.

I'll post pics of the Garmin 66W installation once I complete it.
Old 03-21-20, 12:15 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by wifesUX
Thanks for the post @NXOwner ! The wife just got a 2020 UX 250h and this seems to be the only post on the internet about adding a dashcam.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by wifesUX
For the wire routing, did you remove the A pillar trim?
No. I just tucked it into the seam in the A-pillar trim where it meets the above-window trim. The cable is in front of the side air curtains. The A-pillar trim swings out in the event of airbag deployment. You can see that in this video...

Last edited by NXOwner; 03-24-20 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-17-20, 01:30 PM
wifesUX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got around to the dash cam installation (Garmin 66W). Cam is mounted out of sight of the driver on the passenger side. USB wire run along the headliner, down the A-pillar along the windshield and then between the A-pillar and the speaker to the door weather stripping where it's a straight shot to the fusebox. Used the ECC-ACU 5amp circuit as described by @NXOwner , his pics are much better than the ones i took.

Didn't need to remove the A-pillar trim (like I did in my Volvo) as there was enough of a gap to friction fit it.

Pic of install and wire routing (and all the crap in my garage)

The following users liked this post:
NXOwner (04-19-20)
Old 12-25-20, 08:08 PM
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone installed the rear camera to the UX? I'm having trouble finding a way to release the headliner to give me more room and accessing the grommet near the tailgate has been difficult. Seems like they've taped the end of the grommet and the rubber goes further down into the car in comparison to the other cars I've worked in.
Old 07-15-21, 01:46 AM
DaroUX
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I have Lexus UX 250h.
Could you tell me where is the cabine fuse box located.
On the page 487 of my manual there is an information but it is fake.

I want to install a dash cam and I only need a power connection to the parking mode.
I dismantled what I could in the area of ​​the steering wheel and the glove box and I can't find it.
Please let me know.
Thank You

Old 07-15-21, 02:18 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by DaroUX
Hello, I have Lexus UX 250h.
Could you tell me where is the cabine fuse box located.
On the page 487 of my manual there is an information but it is fake.
It is there. It will have the cover on it. Look for the metal bolt and the white plastic bracket, as shown in my original post (fourth picture)
Old 07-15-21, 03:17 AM
DaroUX
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus this morning and they said it must be there. I kept my head too far from the floor to see it I put my head on the rug and finally found it. The location of this box and access to it is tragic.
Thank you very much for your help.
Could you advise me on which TWO fuses it is best to connect the camera power supply, so that it does not affect the operation of the systems in the car? Thank you

Old 07-19-21, 10:49 PM
rogerbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus UX Dashcam option

Here in the UK there is a front and rear dashcam option available on new UX. I guess it's a dealer fit rather than factory fit option. It's quite expensive so I wonder if anyone has experience of this. My days of working on cars are sadly now in the past!
Old 07-19-21, 11:25 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by DaroUX
I called Lexus this morning and they said it must be there. I kept my head too far from the floor to see it I put my head on the rug and finally found it. The location of this box and access to it is tragic.
Thank you very much for your help.
Could you advise me on which TWO fuses it is best to connect the camera power supply, so that it does not affect the operation of the systems in the car? Thank you
It depends on if you want the dashcam operational only when your car is started, or if you want the dashcam on all the time (for security reasons). I chose to only have mine operational when the car is started. In my case, I chose the ECU-ACC fuse because it is a switched circuit and it is 5 amps. Look at the photos in my original post (photos 4 and 5), which indicates the location of that fuse. It is also listed on the fuse cover diagram. I recommend using a multi-meter to verify if the fuse you are going to use is a switched circuit or not.

Quick Reply: 📸 Installed a Dash Cam in my UX 📽️