UX Models (2019-present)

Engine Kicking on at Cold Start - Normal Behavior for a UX250h?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 12:22 PM
LexusPeep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Kicking on at Cold Start - Normal Behavior for a UX250h?

I currently own a UX250h. I have had the car for about 6 months now. For as long as I can remember, the engine always seems to kick on in the morning at every cold start of the vehicle. The engine / battery display chart shows energy going from the engine to the battery, even when I am in park. This happens every morning, as soon as I start the car. Once I start driving, the acceleration feels a little sluggish / rough. The engine stays on for a few minutes or at least until I get on the highway. Once I reach a higher acceleration, the car goes back to behaving as normal without the engine constantly running and the car staying silent when I come to a stop.

After parking the car and returning to it about 8 hours later at the end of the day, the engine once again kicks on as soon as a I start the car. The issue goes away again after I start driving after a few minutes. When I return back home, the car seems to be fine right until I am about to park in the garage and the engine kicks on again (even when I am driving slow). When I turn the ignition off (if the engine is running when I am parked) the car kind of jolts / shakes a little.

Is this normal for a UX250h to act this way? Has anyone else been experiencing this same issue? I have never owned a hybrid before so I am not sure if this a normal behavior for hybrids.

I have already brought my car to the Lexus dealership and they did not find any fault codes with the car and they said that it is normal for it to be acting this way. They found no issues and said that the cold weather can cause this effect. The engine has been staying on longer in the winter, but it even happened in the warmer weather. In the warmer weather, the engine issue that I have described would go back to normal after only about a minute.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I just want to make sure that my UX250h is behaving properly and is in line with the behavior of other UX250h owners.

Thanks!

Last edited by LexusPeep; 01-25-20 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Update to title
Old 01-25-20, 02:37 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m pretty sure it does this when its really cold to get the ICE temps up so when it has to use the engine, is operating at its peak efficiency. I noticed this on real cold days, and recently when it was much warmer it didn’t do this. Watch your engine temp, seems like once it drops to 25% on the gauge the ICE turns on and runs until it’s at 50%
Old 01-26-20, 08:01 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Well yes, the engine still needs to turn over for the oils, etc. to properly lubricate the motor (engine). The hybrid system does not do that. The fuel and oil pump, etc etc. all of those components work longer and harder in colder weather. Vice versa for a few other components when the weather is very hot.

Also, the engine needs to run in order for it to produce heat in the cabin, again - your hybrid system is not responsible for that. Hybrid batteries typically operate best in warmer temps, so for example here in Chicago where I live, I always remote start my car and let it run for about 5-10 minutes on its own before driving.

This is perfectly normal. My CT200H used to do this as well, and any other hybrid system. Unless if you drive a full electric/EV vehicle, don't be alarmed.

Last edited by tofuprod; 01-26-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 12:42 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

If you have the heater on, the engine will kick on to get hot air to you. Hot air is not free. It uses engine combustion to get it.
Old 02-11-20, 04:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

In addition to all the comments above, the ICE will engage when the car determines the hybrid battery is low (50% remaining is considered low). It can just be that your last stretch to your home, you are driving in background EV mode, consuming the battery.

Overall seems normal what your describing with the exception of how you are describing "kind of jolts / shakes a little". To a certain degree, this is normal, but if you feel it is more than you've experienced at other moments with the car, it doesn't hurt to go back and have the dealer compare with you with another UX over a test drive.
Old 03-02-20, 08:12 AM
Justsomegy
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with nearly any Hybrid vehicle; If it’s not below freezing, keep your Heater turned off until you’re on the highway. It only wants to heat up the engine so it can accommodate your Climate Control settings.

Just rely on your heated seat/steering wheel for a few minutes until you’re rolling.