UX Models (2019-present)

How to tell if tire is flat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 08:25 PM
CARuiser
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to tell if tire is flat?

I have 19UX250H. This is my first car with run flats.

My problem is the back left tire is showing the tire pressure to be 28psi in the morning and 24 just as I got home this evening. All other tires are between 30-32psi. I don't hear any hissing. But I'm not sure what the issue is. I do have a low pressure light on, but would any other light appear if it was a bonafide flat?

I'll be checking it checked, but im impatient and looking for an immediate answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-20, 02:08 AM
Jimmy3864
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a slow leak, could be at the valve or around rim or a small puncture with the foreign object still embedded. Since is dropping during day, best to get it checked out. The more you run on an under inflated run flat, the weaker the extra stiff sidewall will become thus losing its effectiveness.
Old 11-13-20, 05:28 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

If you want an "immediate" resolution - since you're local to me:
1. spray soapy water across the rim and tire, everywhere, anywhere that bubbles, indicates a hole/leak.
However, since that takes some manual effort to do.. my second suggestion i-
2. Drive to your local Discount Tire, they will plug and patch it for free.
3. If you're super local to me (as in the 630), feel free to come by me and I'll be happy to help if anything else.
Old 12-09-20, 09:02 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

The first day it gets cold here in Florida. I know I will need to put air in one of my tires. Never fails

Not sure why. But the TPS light will come on. And one tire will be 5 PSI lower than the others. It’s not flat. It’s just low

If a tire is flat you will know. If it’s just low enough to set off the TPS. It just needs air put back in.

Set all 4 for the same pressure and the light will go out.
Old 12-09-20, 09:22 PM
CARuiser
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXWes
The first day it gets cold here in Florida. I know I will need to put air in one of my tires. Never fails

Not sure why. But the TPS light will come on. And one tire will be 5 PSI lower than the others. It’s not flat. It’s just low

If a tire is flat you will know. If it’s just low enough to set off the TPS. It just needs air put back in.

Set all 4 for the same pressure and the light will go out.
Regretfully, one of the tires had a nail in the sidewall. $308.00 out the door. Probably paid $50.00 bucks more going through the dealer. Paid for the convenience, since I was already there.
Old 12-10-20, 08:39 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Sorry to hear man, at least you caught it before it became a more serious issue.

When in doubt and you can't really take the tire off the rim and or the rim/tire off of the hub - take water and just a bit of dish soap (so soapy water..), and spray it around the whole wheel, inside and out, look for air bubbles if any, if there are- there's your leak.
Old 12-10-20, 06:01 PM
CARuiser
Rookie

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Sorry to hear man, at least you caught it before it became a more serious issue.

When in doubt and you can't really take the tire off the rim and or the rim/tire off of the hub - take water and just a bit of dish soap (so soapy water..), and spray it around the whole wheel, inside and out, look for air bubbles if any, if there are- there's your leak.
Thanks for the suggestion. wish I would've tried it before taking it in. I was secretly hoping it was an easy fix, like a patch could of repaired.

Does anyone know if the wheel and tire insurance would have covered this?

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-20, 03:41 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by CARuiser
Thanks for the suggestion. wish I would've tried it before taking it in. I was secretly hoping it was an easy fix, like a patch could of repaired.

Does anyone know if the wheel and tire insurance would have covered this?
DiscountTire does with their Road Hazard add-on and I believe Lexus may, as our SA gave that to us when we got tires there as well.

I've sent you a PM so if you need help - feel free to reply.