UX Models (2019-present)

UX250h brake paddle creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 10:30 AM
jzheng
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UX250h brake paddle creaking noise

I bought UX250h in September. I started to notice creaking sound from brake paddle area when I brake at relative low speed (above 10 km/h under 60 km/h) since November. I remembered that the temperature is around 0 degree. I started to hear the noise when I press the brake at the low speed. My car has been in the dealership twice, the dealer can replicate the noise. the first time, dealer bleed the brake line and could not fix the issue. They told me it might be brake actuator defect and they ordered one from USA. It took about 3 weeks arrived and last Friday, I dropped the car to get installed. At end of the day, the dealer told me that my car did not need replace the brake actuator, instead, they bleed the brake line again and told me it was fixed. (I think that brake actuator was dealer’s guess as well. They were still having no idea what was wrong with the car). When I drove home, the creaking sound was very unnoticeable.

But the second day the noise was coming back with same level noise as before.

I also noticed the dealer’s loaner car (UX250h) has exact creaking noise as mine.

I will send the car back to the dealer again next week.

Does anyone from here have same issue? I kind of guessing that the issue appears in cold weather only. I live in Alberta, Canada.

I will upload some videos later and report any progress

Thanks for your time and help

Jeremy
The following users liked this post:
uxandy (02-23-21)
Old 12-14-20, 02:01 PM
jzheng
Driver School Candidate

here is update:
Just got my car back from Dealership. Basically, They can hear the noise but still have no idea what causing it. lubricated, insulated steering column boot and firing wall. still can hear. and they also created ATS case. but Lexus Canada told them it is a characteristic of the vehicle. it is ridiculous
here is video I recorded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imn_...ature=youtu.be

I am not sure what I should do next

Old 12-14-20, 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by jzheng
here is update:
Just got my car back from Dealership. Basically, They can hear the noise but still have no idea what causing it. lubricated, insulated steering column boot and firing wall. still can hear. and they also created ATS case. but Lexus Canada told them it is a characteristic of the vehicle. it is ridiculous
here is video I recorded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imn_...ature=youtu.be

I am not sure what I should do next
Jeremy. Welcome to the forum!

Are you referring to the creaking when depressing the brake pedal? If so, did you try applying some silicone lubricant on the spring and pivot joints?
Old 12-15-20, 03:26 PM
jzheng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Jeremy. Welcome to the forum!

Are you referring to the creaking when depressing the brake pedal? If so, did you try applying some silicone lubricant on the spring and pivot joints?
Hi corradoMR2, When I press brake pedal to certain depth, the noise appears, not right away when I press pedal. Today I even noticed that when I press gas pedal, sometime had same noise but is not as frequently happens as the brake. I don't understand what the connection between them, Maybe it is total wrong diagnose direction by checking brake. I never tried to lubricate spring and joints, If it is spring and joints noise, technically it should happen when car is parked as well but it only happens when car is in motion.
Old 12-15-20, 05:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Jeremy, I would still try to rule out squeaking with the use of the lube. Besides that, this is a tough one and al lI can say is that it's not normal - no squeaking at all with my UX. If no luck, try a different Lexus dealer if you can stating your dissatisfaction with the current diagnosis.

Hope you get this resolved.
Old 12-17-20, 02:03 PM
Adam200699
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same sound on my 2019 UX 250H. I noticed it happens at low speed, usually around 10 Mph. It's NOT related the gas or break paddle, because I can hear it when I'm breaking or accelerating. I suspect it's something to do with hybrid drive. The noise went away once vehicle move faster than 15 Mph.
Old 01-19-21, 08:49 PM
Kevinyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi i have exactly same problem on my 2020 ux 250h

Hi i have exactly same problem on my 2020 ux 250h
i bought it about 10days and from the second day i hear same noise when i press brake or accerator
i already went to dealership twice and they keep saying lexus canada says it is normal
i also checked other ux on dealership but same sound
i thoughtmaybe because of cold weather but even 5-6 degree i still can hear same noise

i also live in edmonton, alberta
if you find the solution let me know please
Old 01-20-21, 01:41 PM
jzheng
Driver School Candidate

I am working with Lexus at Edmonton south pointe to try to figure out the source. So far I suggest them to tighten one of orange tube that mounted on the firewall (you will see it when opens the hood, it is on the driver side). they will try on the loaner car first
I am for sure it is not the break paddle. It is sounds like some plastic parts rubbing each other, the cold weather temperature is one of the factor. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 01-20-21, 02:25 PM
Kevinyy
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=jzheng;10976896]I am working with Lexus at Edmonton south pointe to try to figure out the source. So far I suggest them to tighten one of orange tube that mounted on the firewall (you will see it when opens the hood, it is on the driver side). they will try on the loaner car first
I am for sure it is not the break paddle. It is sounds like some plastic parts rubbing each other, the cold weather temperature is one of the factor. I will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by Kevinyy; 01-20-21 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-20-21, 06:58 PM
atomic21
Driver School Candidate

Have this. It does go away after driving a bit. And it’s only present at well under 10/15mph. And it is more noticeable in the cold.
Old 01-21-21, 09:51 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 202 Posts

Mine does it too when initially pressing the brake pedal. Almost "feels" like a spring being tensioned, sounds like it too.

Doesn't bother me enough though it is strange.
Old 01-21-21, 02:07 PM
jzheng
Driver School Candidate

This was my suggestion for my dealer ship to look into. I sent last month and still waiting them to try on loaner car. Hope somebody can figure it out.

I noticed that on uneven road surface (due to froze snow), sometime I depress gas pedal will produce the same noise. It leads me to think it may not be the brake that causes the issue.
Furthermore, I noticed that between engine and firewall, there is big orange color plastic pipe (I guess is hybrid electric wires pipe). one end connects to the engine and middle section horizontal placed inside the metal slot that on the firewall.
When I apply the brake, the engine will have a slight forward movement relative to car frame (firewall) that causes the orange pipe slightly pull out from metal slot that causes the rubbing noise. I noticed the noise starts happening when the weather was getting cold on early Nov. the cold weather can cause the plastic pipe harder or metal slot contract that makes it easy to rubber each other that makes the noise
I have tried to wiggle the pipe by hand and inside driver side the recorded noise is almost identical as the creaking noise

The following users liked this post:
uxandy (02-23-21)
Old 01-21-21, 09:22 PM
L8R
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem, except on slight acceleration under 10mph. I have under 4,000 miles and my car is about 7 months old as well.

I took it Lexus of Serramonte (California / Bay Area), there was nothing they could do, and basically said it works as intended. They did test 3 others cars on the lot—one made the same sound, two didn't. I got some excuse it could be the exhaust spring flexing during acceleration, but I find it hard to believe. I said okay and went on my way.

I hope this problem is solved soon.
Old 01-26-21, 12:04 PM
jzheng
Driver School Candidate

Got car back yesterday. Apparently, the issue had been fixed. Lexus South Pointe (Edmonton, Alberta) checked the area I mentioned above discussion thread and did following:
CAUSE: poor fit of hv cable to firewall
CORRECTION: insulated high voltage orange wire on firewall. removed clip and applied felt to secure cable properly

I have driven the car a couples of times for total about 1 hour since yesterday afternoon and confirmed that the noise is gone. Current the temperature is around -20 c

hope it helps others
The following 2 users liked this post by jzheng:
kok8 (01-27-21), QwkSC (01-28-21)
Old 02-23-21, 04:49 PM
uxandy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jzheng
This was my suggestion for my dealer ship to look into. I sent last month and still waiting them to try on loaner car. Hope somebody can figure it out.

I noticed that on uneven road surface (due to froze snow), sometime I depress gas pedal will produce the same noise. It leads me to think it may not be the brake that causes the issue.
Furthermore, I noticed that between engine and firewall, there is big orange color plastic pipe (I guess is hybrid electric wires pipe). one end connects to the engine and middle section horizontal placed inside the metal slot that on the firewall.
When I apply the brake, the engine will have a slight forward movement relative to car frame (firewall) that causes the orange pipe slightly pull out from metal slot that causes the rubbing noise. I noticed the noise starts happening when the weather was getting cold on early Nov. the cold weather can cause the plastic pipe harder or metal slot contract that makes it easy to rubber each other that makes the noise
I have tried to wiggle the pipe by hand and inside driver side the recorded noise is almost identical as the creaking noise

I am from BC, Canada, and I have the same issue, I took the video, it sounds like from the back of the steering wheel. The video is attached.

Quick Reply: UX250h brake paddle creaking noise