Considering A New UX 250h

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 10:26 AM
Jay73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering A New UX 250h

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here. My wife is currently looking for a new car. At the moment she drives a 2010 Nissan Cube (coming close to 11 years and just slightly over 100K miles) but now wants to move up to something nice.
She really like's the Mini Coopers and I do too but reliability is my biggest concern for her. I don't want her stranded on the side of the road.

So after researching some different vehicles (entry level Audi, MB and Volvo SUV's), I came across the Lexus UX, which I feel would probably be the perfect fit for her and would be much more reliable then the German counterparts or at least have a better chance at reliability compared to them.

I have a few comments and a question regarding the UX.

Question:

So far I have seen many video's on the UX on YouTube and my only real concern is that is that when on the highway/freeway or any road where you really have to get into the acceleration, the Tach seems to stay at the higher RPM's and it sounded like it really drones and stays there until you left off the accelerator pedal. Is that really the case? In the video's, it sounded kind of annoying, especially with the fake engine sounds.

For those of you who have the hybrid version, do you feel it has enough power for passing at highway speeds?

My wife does not drive on the freeways, so it probably wouldn't be a concern for her. Just for me, when I am driving it.

Any feedback on this question would be appreciated it.

Comments:

1) We have not seen the UX in person just yet. I have only seen pics and video's. Literally just started researching this Lexus a couple of days ago. The interior definitely looks nice. But I feel it would have been awesome if it had some ambient lighting, at least for the footwells. If we get it, might have to have some LED's installed in the footwells to give it just a little more snazziness.

2) It's too bad that you can't have the Triple Beam Headlights with the FX Sport Package. Lexus should have made that an option.

3) I am actually happy to see that it does have a CD Player. I am probably one of the few people who still uses CD's.

We probably won't be getting the wife a new car until spring, so I hope there might be some news as to what the changes might be for the 2022 model year by then. Since the UX has already been out for 3 model years, I feel 2022 might bring some refresh changes and I am hoping there might be some news of a power bump. Seems like, another 20HP could make a good difference.

Well that is all I have for now. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I really feel the UX will be the one we end up purchasing in the near future.

Thanks

Jay

Last edited by Jay73; 12-23-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-24-20, 06:04 AM
Funride
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my UX in June and I love it - I mean really love it. I retired in March and had to turn in my company car, so this was the first daily driver I had bought since 1977 - LOL. I also own a Miata, but that is a nice weather, weekend car. I had been driving it since the end of March and while it's fun, it's not a practical car for every day use - it was time to buy a car.

Anyhow, getting back to the UX - knowing I was going to retire soon, I had been looking at cars for several years and had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to buy a NX, but I also wanted to check out the UX. I went to a dealership and test drove both to compare them and I was shocked that the UXh was noticeably peppier than the NX. As the car is primarily for me to drive, the size is perfect. I also like the fact that the hybrid uses regular gas and the non-hybrids require higher octane.

I do a lot of highway driving and I have not experienced any problems with acceleration.

Since I bought the car, I've added a few things like tinted windows, protective film, and illuminated door sills, (which look really nice.) I agree about the ambient lighting and will probably do that over the winter.

I bought a base model that is loaded.

The gas mileage is great - I was getting close to 42 MPG in the summer and now that it's colder, right under 40 MPG.

Unless your wife likes driving larger cars,(which I don't.) I think she would be very happy with a UX.

Last edited by Funride; 12-24-20 at 06:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kok8 (12-24-20)
Old 12-24-20, 06:48 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

To comment highway etc., it's enough for passing. you can even put it in "Sport" mode to give you a little more acceleration. You'll notice this much more in city driving though. Also, the "fake engine noises" can be turned off via the ASC button on the left of the steering wheel, lower dash.

The UX is the 4th Lexus I've owned and is the 11th vehicle I've owned - to date it's a great car. You will be pleased, very much so. It's not oozing with luxury like my old LS or the comfort of it either, and some MAY argue it's just a dolled up Toyota, but who cares - the "premium" you pay, you get many amenities as well and the cost isn't high in my opinion. Takes standard fuel, not premium and maintenance is very moderate on these especially the hybrid due to regenerative braking, etc.

My only gripe is the OEM run-flats, they don't offer comfort or 'stability' especially here in Chicago particularly during the winter months, but it's something I can completely live with as run-flats are known for this, it's not a "Lexus" or a "UX" thing.

All your concerns mentioned below, are totally understandable but all 'correctable' - enjoy the car.

Edit: I'm half asleep writing this - lots of grammar mistakes.

Originally Posted by Jay73
Hello Everyone,

First time posting here. My wife is currently looking for a new car. At the moment she drives a 2010 Nissan Cube (coming close to 11 years and just slightly over 100K miles) but now wants to move up to something nice.
She really like's the Mini Coopers and I do too but reliability is my biggest concern for her. I don't want her stranded on the side of the road.

So after researching some different vehicles (entry level Audi, MB and Volvo SUV's), I came across the Lexus UX, which I feel would probably be the perfect fit for her and would be much more reliable then the German counterparts or at least have a better chance at reliability compared to them.

Question:

So far I have seen many video's on the UX on YouTube and my only real concern is that is that when on the highway/freeway or any road where you really have to get into the acceleration, the Tach seems to stay at the higher RPM's and it sounded like it really drones and stays there until you left off the accelerator pedal. Is that really the case? In the video's, it sounded kind of annoying, especially with the fake engine sounds.

For those of you who have the hybrid version, do you feel it has enough power for passing at highway speeds?

My wife does not drive on the freeways, so it probably wouldn't be a concern for her. Just for me, when I am driving it.

Comments:

1) We have not seen the UX in person just yet. I have only seen pics and video's. Literally just started researching this Lexus a couple of days ago. The interior definitely looks nice. But I feel it would have been awesome if it had some ambient lighting, at least for the footwells. If we get it, might have to have some LED's installed in the footwells to give it just a little more snazziness.

2) It's too bad that you can't have the Triple Beam Headlights with the FX Sport Package. Lexus should have made that an option.

3) I am actually happy to see that it does have a CD Player. I am probably one of the few people who still uses CD's.

We probably won't be getting the wife a new car until spring, so I hope there might be some news as to what the changes might be for the 2022 model year by then. Since the UX has already been out for 3 model years, I feel 2022 might bring some refresh changes and I am hoping there might be some news of a power bump. Seems like, another 20HP could make a good difference.

Well that is all I have for now. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay
kok8 (12-24-20)
Old 12-24-20, 11:27 AM
Jay73
Driver School Candidate

@Funride and @tofuprod

Thank you both for your input. Your responses definitely give me more confidence in the Lexus UX.

I had one question for you both. It's regarding the braking. I have read a couple of places that the brake feel in the UX can make you feel a little unsure as to how much pressure you need to apply to the brake pedal when braking.

I have also read this maybe due to the fact that it's a Hybrid and that because of regenerative braking technology, that's the way Hybrids feel when braking and it's something you get used to.

But in particular to the UX, it has something to do with the Brake Booster mechanism or something to that sort.

Anyway, the question is, when you are coming to a stop, do you ever feel unsure about the brake pedal or how much pressure you need to apply in order to accomplish a proper stop?

In a normal car, it's progressive, you apply lightly at first and then progress to apply more pressure to the brake pedal (depending on the situation and how fast or how abruptly you may need to stop).

In the UX, do you feel it's any different?

Thanks again for your input, this information really helps.

Jay
Old 12-24-20, 12:42 PM
Funride
Pit Crew

@Funride and @tofuprod

Thank you both for your input. Your responses definitely give me more confidence in the Lexus UX.

I had one question for you both. It's regarding the braking. I have read a couple of places that the brake feel in the UX can make you feel a little unsure as to how much pressure you need to apply to the brake pedal when braking.

I have also read this maybe due to the fact that it's a Hybrid and that because of regenerative braking technology, that's the way Hybrids feel when braking and it's something you get used to.

But in particular to the UX, it has something to do with the Brake Booster mechanism or something to that sort.

Anyway, the question is, when you are coming to a stop, do you ever feel unsure about the brake pedal or how much pressure you need to apply in order to accomplish a proper stop?

In a normal car, it's progressive, you apply lightly at first and then progress to apply more pressure to the brake pedal (depending on the situation and how fast or how abruptly you may need to stop).

In the UX, do you feel it's any different?

Thanks again for your input, this information really helps.

Jay
I know several people have mentioned they notice a difference in the brakes and they have to get used to them, but I honestly can't tell any difference. I'm not saying there isn't difference - just that I haven't noticed it and I have applied the brakes in different situations - hard, soft, quick, slow.

The other thing I would like to mention is how pleased I've been with the service I've received at my local Lexus dealership. As I mentioned, I always had company cars - Jeeps, Fords, Chevys and this is my first experience with a luxury dealership and I couldn't be happier. I ordered the illuminated door sills from the dealership and when they arrived they installed them for me at no extra charge - I was impressed.
Old 12-25-20, 04:34 AM
Jimmy3864
Driver School Candidate

I own both a NX and a UXh, the latter which my wife drives. Occasionally I have taken the UX when I have to run an errand and have found no discernible difference in brake feel. I find when I rent cars for business travel, I always find a slight difference in brake feel but after a bit of time in the car, I am adjusted.

We are very happy with our UXh....gas mileage is crazy good.
Old 12-25-20, 07:11 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Question:

Comments:

Thanks

Jay
The high RPM is normal, especially on a CVT transmission where the engine stays at an optimal rpm range. You'll get used to it but it is normal. Now if you kick it into sports mode, yes, the RPM will jump up into a higher RPM. It's supposed to be more responsive that way.

1) I agree with the ambient lighting. It needs some, especially in a black interior. It's so hard to see anything at night.
2) Really, I thought the triple beam is an option.
3) Very true. I don't use the CD player a lot but if you do get nav, you can watch a DVD (while parked). I'm not sure if they added Blu-ray to the drive.

Trending Topics

Old 12-25-20, 10:01 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cruising on the highway, our UX200 sits around 2000 rpm or less. It does not sound strange.

With normal throttle, the engine goes up and down through fake gears and sounds mostly like a normal car. It only holds the rpm constant, and sounds awful, when you give it 100% throttle.

There is horrible sounding fake engine noise. Thankfully, you can disable it with a button (unlike my BMW).

The footwells are lit, but it's not very bright. You may be able to replace those bulbs with brighter ones.

100% agree with you, the base headlights are terrible. I would rather have halogens in a projector than these LEDs. At least then I could retrofit HIDs into them.
Old 12-26-20, 02:49 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy3864
I own both a NX and a UXh, the latter which my wife drives. Occasionally I have taken the UX when I have to run an errand and have found no discernible difference in brake feel. I find when I rent cars for business travel, I always find a slight difference in brake feel but after a bit of time in the car, I am adjusted.

We are very happy with our UXh....gas mileage is crazy good.
How would you compare the two in other areas?
Thanks!
Old 12-26-20, 05:09 PM
Jay73
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for their input.

So far, the UX definitely looks like the right pick for us. Won't be purchasing till around Spring 2021 by then I hope there is some news of the 2022 model and what changes may come.

If they are minor and we decide on the UX, then we will go for it but if there is any news of any power bump, then I think I would convince the wife to wait a little longer.

Thanks

Jay
Old 12-28-20, 09:18 AM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a new UXh last month for my wife that we bought 400 miles away at another dealership.

She had a Mini Cooper prior to the UXh and I was afraid that she would be disappointed in the UXh didn't have the peppiness/go-kart style she was accustomed with the Mini. So far she loves the UXh compared to the Mini but she already had the mindset of the UXh being a hybrid/gas saver. She does miss that low end torque of the Mini in city driving but doesn't notice it on the highway. On the drive back, she said there wasn't much difference between the Mini on the highway. In town driving, she said she's been more conscientious about her MPGs vs the Mini and she's still getting used to the UXh.

We had a 2010 Prius in the past so we knew the expectations of having another Toyota hybrid CVT/regen braking. We both agree that the brakes on the UXh are so much better compared to the Prius. You'll get used to the regen braking over time and won't notice it once you start driving it as a daily. The regen braking in the UXh is nothing compared to our Model Y and very different from the GS I sold. You really feel the regen in the one pedal driving in the Tesla and like anything you'll get accustomed to it over time.

I would recommend you test drive a few if possible and see how you like it. We actual test drove 3 UXh and felt the first UXh drove differently vs the other 2. First one was brand new off the transport truck, second was a loaner and third was the one we purchased.

I test drove a Cube back in 2010 and ultimately went with the Prius as I felt the Prius had a little more oomph so I'm think you'll notice the UXh will have more power.
Old 12-28-20, 06:41 PM
CALtd
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We put 150K mi on our 2012 Ct200h. The only lag was between 50-80 MPH. Off the line it was quick. Our new (4 mos & 4K mi) UX 250h is even peppier off the line if you put your foot in it.

Only complaint is the car computed MPG. It says 42 but spreadsheet says 38.4
E46CT (12-31-20)
Old 12-29-20, 07:43 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Funride
I know several people have mentioned they notice a difference in the brakes and they have to get used to them, but I honestly can't tell any difference. I'm not saying there isn't difference - just that I haven't noticed it and I have applied the brakes in different situations - hard, soft, quick, slow.

The other thing I would like to mention is how pleased I've been with the service I've received at my local Lexus dealership. As I mentioned, I always had company cars - Jeeps, Fords, Chevys and this is my first experience with a luxury dealership and I couldn't be happier. I ordered the illuminated door sills from the dealership and when they arrived they installed them for me at no extra charge - I was impressed.
I concur with Funride on the braking "thing", zero issues here.

One key thing is, if you aren't already good buddies with your SA, try to be - the people we deal with at our dealership really look after us, and have saved us hundreds if not even thousands in routine maintenance and repairs when required. Doesn't help the lady loves to treat the department with bundt cakes around the holidays.

Edit: I will also chime in, my mom drives the NX (also the hybrid) and likes it, but when I drove it, I just never cared for it, this is also when I got them as loaners at the dealership.

Get one, you won't regret it. I say this confidently because, if you are in the market for the UX and you know the basics - you already know what it will deliver for you and what it won't. Your test drive will seal the deal for you. Car "reviewers" seldom spend enough time nor research in my biased opinion (I'll admit) to get an accurate verdict on any vehicle, this one included. I love mine, but what again may work for some, won't work for others. Judging from what you've said in the posts OP, this will be a winner for you.

Last edited by tofuprod; 12-29-20 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 10:36 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 854 Likes on 645 Posts

A trick to try in any Lexus/Toyota hybrid to illustrate how well the regenerative braking works:
Coasting from a steady moderate speed 30 - 50 MPH on a road free of nearby traffic step very lightly
on the brake. Now nudge the gearshift out of Drive and into Neutral. That surge you feel comes
from you no longer getting any Regen from the hybrid.

Those of us that drive both manual and automatic cars know that the brake application, pedal feel
and deacceleration results are somewhat different. This is also true of the automatic to Hybrid experiance.
Old 12-29-20, 01:05 PM
Funride
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I concur with Funride on the braking "thing", zero issues here.

One key thing is, if you aren't already good buddies with your SA, try to be - the people we deal with at our dealership really look after us, and have saved us hundreds if not even thousands in routine maintenance and repairs when required. Doesn't help the lady loves to treat the department with bundt cakes around the holidays.

Edit: I will also chime in, my mom drives the NX (also the hybrid) and likes it, but when I drove it, I just never cared for it, this is also when I got them as loaners at the dealership.

Get one, you won't regret it. I say this confidently because, if you are in the market for the UX and you know the basics - you already know what it will deliver for you and what it won't. Your test drive will seal the deal for you. Car "reviewers" seldom spend enough time nor research in my biased opinion (I'll admit) to get an accurate verdict on any vehicle, this one included. I love mine, but what again may work for some, won't work for others. Judging from what you've said in the posts OP, this will be a winner for you.
I never drove the NXh, just the NX. I never got past the UXh, because I was so pleased with it that I didn't want anything else.

Quick Reply: Considering A New UX 250h