UX Models (2019-present)

Retrofit Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 03:37 PM
gnuels
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Retrofit Android Auto?

I just bought a 2019 UX250h, and while it comes with CarPlay, Android is what's used in the house. In another part of Club Lexus I see some people have experimented with Carlinkit from aliexpress / ebay with some success. Has anyone gotten AA to work well in their UX?
Old 06-20-21, 10:22 AM
gnuels
Rookie

This is the other thread I was talking about: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-319-a-46.html
Old 07-24-21, 03:28 PM
gnuels
Rookie

I just installed a RoadTop unit in my 2019 UX250h. I hate that there's an update available in Europe and Australia to add Android Auto, but it's not available in North America. If somebody can get their hands on the update USB from those regions, please let me know. I'd be happy to pay for it so I don't need to have this extra box in my car. To help anyone else that's interested installing it in the UX, here are some notes that may prove to be useful:
  • Even though the car has a touchpad, the instructions and model to buy / follow is the joystick version. Don't ask why - I don't know
  • When connecting the cables to the back of the radio unit, there'll be 2 plugs that use the same harness, each on one side of the middle black harness. one of the two identical harnesses needs a cable connected in series, and it's the right one. I had to use trial and error to figure that one out
  • The glove box has a back panel that pops off, and that made an easy place to route the unit through to keep in the glove box
I still have a couple issues with it, and have reached out to my vendor on aliexpress for help, but if anyone here has solved them, please let me know
  1. The sensitivity of my touchpad is through the roof. I couldn't find a setting to lower the sensitivity. I suspect it's because it's meant to be a discreet signal from a joystick rather than a touchpad
  2. I cannot access the right side of the screen. I know Xidding had a similar issue above, and I tried his solution to no avail. I can access the left menu buttons no problem by hitting the back button once. I've tried to long press all the buttons and none of them get me there
Old 07-26-21, 01:48 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by gnuels
I just installed a RoadTop unit in my 2019 UX250h. I hate that there's an update available in Europe and Australia to add Android Auto, but it's not available in North America. If somebody can get their hands on the update USB from those regions, please let me know. I'd be happy to pay for it so I don't need to have this extra box in my car. To help anyone else that's interested installing it in the UX, here are some notes that may prove to be useful:
  • Even though the car has a touchpad, the instructions and model to buy / follow is the joystick version. Don't ask why - I don't know
  • When connecting the cables to the back of the radio unit, there'll be 2 plugs that use the same harness, each on one side of the middle black harness. one of the two identical harnesses needs a cable connected in series, and it's the right one. I had to use trial and error to figure that one out
  • The glove box has a back panel that pops off, and that made an easy place to route the unit through to keep in the glove box
I still have a couple issues with it, and have reached out to my vendor on aliexpress for help, but if anyone here has solved them, please let me know
  1. The sensitivity of my touchpad is through the roof. I couldn't find a setting to lower the sensitivity. I suspect it's because it's meant to be a discreet signal from a joystick rather than a touchpad
  2. I cannot access the right side of the screen. I know Xidding had a similar issue above, and I tried his solution to no avail. I can access the left menu buttons no problem by hitting the back button once. I've tried to long press all the buttons and none of them get me there
Different region system has different "OS." The software from Europe or Australia won't work on a US system. The European system has Google search in their vehicle and some other app that are region specific. I don't think the system will allow you to flash to a EU software on a US vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
gnuels (07-27-21)