UX Models (2019-present)

Scratch on Glove Box

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 06:30 AM
bob7487
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch on Glove Box

My kid put a scratch in 2019 UX 250H black glove box door. It's not that deep or bad, but every time I go into the car I look that way. I called my dealership about getting a replacement door, but they told me they can only order the entire box ($500). Do any other Lexus models share the same glove box? I wonder if I can pick up a used door on eBay. Since being only a few years old there are no used UX parts anywhere. I have seen people use a heat gun to fix scratches in plastic interior parts, but it seems like it looks shiny and worse after. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-21, 08:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

likely no no and no. pic of the scratch?.... you'd think that would be the first thing you do if you're asking how to fix it lol................................................................................................
Old 06-29-21, 09:12 AM
bob7487
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
likely no no and no. pic of the scratch?.... you'd think that would be the first thing you do if you're asking how to fix it lol................................................................................................
See attached.
Old 07-01-21, 09:40 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Clean it well and apply a lot of detailing spray (non shiny), letting it soak in. See how it looks after you've done this. I had a similar scratch on the door and it's barely noticeable now. I had this same issue with a 2010 IS, where my co-pilot scraped her shoe on the glovebox ;-) If not happy you can start with the dismantlers and see what they have.
Old 07-01-21, 09:51 AM
bob7487
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jsmith
Clean it well and apply a lot of detailing spray (non shiny), letting it soak in. See how it looks after you've done this. I had a similar scratch on the door and it's barely noticeable now. I had this same issue with a 2010 IS, where my co-pilot scraped her shoe on the glovebox ;-) If not happy you can start with the dismantlers and see what they have.
Thank I appreciate it! It there any detailing spray you'd recommend?
Old 07-02-21, 11:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

That's likely a spot that will see some wear and tear throughout its life so I wouldn't think replacing it is all that necessary.

And detailing spray (or hell even water) would be effective by cleaning the general area minimizing oils/prints/dirt/dust etc and making it look cleaner overall, but "detailing spray" won't do much for the scratch itself.

You'll need to mechanically sand the scratch down (with precision) and sort of "buff" it to blend into the surrounding area. The goal here is mitigation, not elimination.

As far as how to do it, search youtube as I'm sure there's videos on it. Off the top of my head, i'd probably take a very very fine grain sandpaper and a fine tip tool (maybe there's tools for this) and gently rub away the high spots of the scratch.

Then after sanding, buffing, and blending mechanically, you can perhaps try a topical sort of treatment to blend it further. You'll have to get creative. You can probably get it 85% better but not much more.
Old 07-08-21, 02:09 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I beg to disagree on the detail spray as I have done it with good results. It will depend also on how deep the scratch is. What it does is to lessen the white edge making it less noticeable. Sanding and buffing on a textured surface smacks of disaster IMHO.

Originally Posted by E46CT
That's likely a spot that will see some wear and tear throughout its life so I wouldn't think replacing it is all that necessary.

And detailing spray (or hell even water) would be effective by cleaning the general area minimizing oils/prints/dirt/dust etc and making it look cleaner overall, but "detailing spray" won't do much for the scratch itself.

You'll need to mechanically sand the scratch down (with precision) and sort of "buff" it to blend into the surrounding area. The goal here is mitigation, not elimination.

As far as how to do it, search youtube as I'm sure there's videos on it. Off the top of my head, i'd probably take a very very fine grain sandpaper and a fine tip tool (maybe there's tools for this) and gently rub away the high spots of the scratch.

Then after sanding, buffing, and blending mechanically, you can perhaps try a topical sort of treatment to blend it further. You'll have to get creative. You can probably get it 85% better but not much more.

Last edited by jsmith; 07-08-21 at 02:40 AM.