UX Models (2019-present)

Replacing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 01:59 PM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Replacing speakers

I am loving my new UX 250h so far, but the audio quality is pretty lacking to say the least. Has anybody replaced the OEM speakers with after market speakers? If so, do you have any recommendations as well as the estimated cost all in (parts and labor)? I don't need to be rattling windows with bass, but I'd like to get good low sounds as well as crisper highs. I haven't bought after market speakers in about 10 years so don't know where to begin.
Old 06-30-21, 06:59 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 199 Posts

Why not look into Crutchfield.com ?
Old 06-30-21, 08:18 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

If it's anything like the current IS, ES, and even CT that has 3" dash speakers (seems to be a common toyota/lexus trait) then you can buy some JBL Club3020s (3" speakers) and Red Wolf wire adapters and install them yourself 5 min per side. Great upgrade.

going further from there things get more complicated on newer/modern cars. particularly lexuses. but i'm not familiar with the UX system.
Old 07-01-21, 10:28 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Why not look into Crutchfield.com ?
Crutchfield currently has no recommendations for the UX.
Old 07-01-21, 03:07 PM
CALtd
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith
Crutchfield currently has no recommendations for the UX.
Crutchfield has 239 suggestions for Ct200H; the UX predecessor.
Old 07-03-21, 01:32 PM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CALtd
Crutchfield has 239 suggestions for Ct200H; the UX predecessor.
Is it safe to assume that these would fit a new UX? I know the UX replaced the CT, but I don't know if it'd be a 1:1 match or not.
Old 07-06-21, 09:33 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludlow94
Is it safe to assume that these would fit a new UX? I know the UX replaced the CT, but I don't know if it'd be a 1:1 match or not.
No. DO NOT assume. They are both different vehicles. You will need to pull the panels apart but I'm pretty sure you can find the info online.

Last edited by MX73; 07-06-21 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 08:02 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

CT is a dinosaur so probably not.
Old 07-21-21, 07:16 AM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX73
No. DO NOT assume. They are both different vehicles. You will need to pull the panels apart but I'm pretty sure you can find the info online.
That's what I figured. Every website says something to the effect that "no information available if this speaker is compatible with your car". Some of them seem pretty universal, though. Is this something I should get done at a Lexus service center, or is the install easy enough that I can trust a local reputable car audio place?
Old 07-21-21, 07:26 AM
MX73
Racer

That's what I figured. Every website says something to the effect that "no information available if this speaker is compatible with your car". Some of them seem pretty universal, though. Is this something I should get done at a Lexus service center, or is the install easy enough that I can trust a local reputable car audio place?
Lexus won't install aftermarket parts, unless you know a tech there willing to do it.

I would take it to a reputable car audio place. Ones with great reviews and knows what they are talking about. I did a quick look up on lexus.jp since they do list speakers size. It looks like the dash speakers are 3", Front door is 7" or maybe 6x9", the rear doors are 6.5" and the rear subs is 6.5". This is for the 8-speaker premium audio. I think the 6 speakers would be the same minus the sub and center speaker. Lexus Japan doesn't offer the 6-speaker system and they do offer the ML system (no surprise.)

source: https://lexus.jp/models/ux/features/sound_system/
The following users liked this post:
BCGelandewagen (12-07-23)
Old 07-21-21, 01:17 PM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that info. I have the 6 speaker system, so I should have the ones shown in your diagram except C and E maybe? Either way, there is a nice audio installation place in town that serves all kinds of luxury vehicles, so I'll get some quotes from them.
Old 07-21-21, 01:20 PM
MX73
Racer

Thanks for that info. I have the 6 speaker system, so I should have the ones shown in your diagram except C and E maybe? Either way, there is a nice audio installation place in town that serves all kinds of luxury vehicles, so I'll get some quotes from them.
You'll only have 2 A and no E. C is the amp.
There may be a grill in the center dash but there maybe no speakers.
Old 07-22-21, 02:19 PM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

I'm buying a powered subwoofer today and am going to attempt an install by myself. I know the general steps (disconnect negative, attach power, remove side floor/door panels to run cable to trunk, remove opposite side floor/door panels to run RCA to head unit, attach ground).

I am wondering if anybody has tips for how to most easily access the head unit to tap into the speaker wire, tips on removing the panels to run wire to trunk, and best place to attach ground. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-21, 02:21 PM
MX73
Racer

There is no RCA behind the headunit. You will need to run a line converter. Some powered subwoofer will have a line tap input to tap into the factory speaker wires.

I would just tap into the rear speakers.
Old 07-22-21, 05:10 PM
Ludlow94
Driver School Candidate

I keep forgetting the battery is in the trunk with the hybrid. That should make this process easier. I clearly don't know what I'm doing, so the easier, the better. The things I'm unsure of are how to access the speaker wire to tap into and how to ground.

The more I think of it, the more I want to let a professional do it. It doesn't seem that difficult conceptually, but actually performing the install may be outside my depth.

Quick Reply: Replacing speakers