UX Models (2019-present)

Does AVS make big differences in driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 05:15 PM
Pumpkins
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does AVS make big differences in driving?

Hi, I saw that Lexus offered Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) for some UX F-Sport models in the European and Asian markets, could any owners there share some experiences? Does it increase the ride comfort and stability?
Old 07-12-21, 07:39 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumpkins
Hi, I saw that Lexus offered Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) for some UX F-Sport models in the European and Asian markets, could any owners there share some experiences? Does it increase the ride comfort and stability?
I can't speak for the UX since AVS is not an option for the UX model, at least on my 2019. I don't see it as an option on the Lexus site either. On my GS, it did increase stability at a corner since the dampers are a bit firmer. The ride is also a bit harness but still has the Lexus ride quality.
Old 07-13-21, 12:07 PM
Pumpkins
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
I can't speak for the UX since AVS is not an option for the UX model, at least on my 2019. I don't see it as an option on the Lexus site either. On my GS, it did increase stability at a corner since the dampers are a bit firmer. The ride is also a bit harness but still has the Lexus ride quality.
Thanks for your information, I planned to buy a CPO GS350 F-Sport, but the price was almost crazy since later April; ended up with an UX last month, was a little disappointed that Lexus didn’t offer AVS and Mark Lev for UXs in the US
Old 07-18-21, 03:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

It did on the RX and NX I had. It adjusts damping per the road conditions automatically within the range of the setting selected (Normal/Eco "softer" vs Sport S+ "a little firmer"). In addition, it works to adjust the dampers to reduce roll, dive, squat and with the traction and stability systems to ensure performance and safety optimization.

However, coming from the NX --> RX --> UX, I was pretty impressed with the non-AVS suspension on the UX in terms of overall damping and control so I can't say I feel I need AVS, at least on the UX. The new TNGA platform the UX is on clearly helps.
Old 07-19-21, 10:21 PM
rogerbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm also interested to hear the effect AVS has on comfort

Originally Posted by Pumpkins
I'm also interested to learn what impact AVS has on comfort. As I suffer from some back and hip trouble, comfort is now more important than sports handling, cornering ability, etc. Here in the UK AVS is an option on the F Sport UX. I also want some of the options that are only available with the Takumi pack. So my choice is between a Takumi UX which doesn't have AVS or the F Sport with the Takumi option pack which does have AVS. Both options are, unfortunately right at the top of the UX price range.

Also I wonder if the F Sport seats and other parts of the suspension are setup to provide a firmer, more sporty ride?

I realise comfort is a very personal and subjective judgement but as I won't be able to arrange a test drive until late this year, it'd be great to have other people's opinions.

Many thanks
Roger

Old 07-20-21, 06:30 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerbill
I'm also interested to learn what impact AVS has on comfort. As I suffer from some back and hip trouble, comfort is now more important than sports handling, cornering ability, etc. Here in the UK AVS is an option on the F Sport UX. I also want some of the options that are only available with the Takumi pack. So my choice is between a Takumi UX which doesn't have AVS or the F Sport with the Takumi option pack which does have AVS. Both options are, unfortunately right at the top of the UX price range.

Also I wonder if the F Sport seats and other parts of the suspension are setup to provide a firmer, more sporty ride?

I realise comfort is a very personal and subjective judgement but as I won't be able to arrange a test drive until late this year, it'd be great to have other people's opinions.

Many thanks
Roger
The F-sport seat is more supportive and actual, IMO, more comfortable and more giving on my back than the regular seats. I'm not sure why. Maybe the side bolster has something to do with it or the shape of the back rest. The F-Sport suspension is tuned to be a bit more firmer than the non-F Sport vehicle. Sometimes it's great on the smooth roads but once it gets a little crazy, like irregulars on the roads, you can feel it. Even more so in S+ mode.
The following users liked this post:
rogerbill (07-21-21)
Old 07-21-21, 12:50 AM
rogerbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
The F-sport seat is more supportive and actual, IMO, more comfortable and more giving on my back than the regular seats. I'm not sure why. Maybe the side bolster has something to do with it or the shape of the back rest. The F-Sport suspension is tuned to be a bit more firmer than the non-F Sport vehicle. Sometimes it's great on the smooth roads but once it gets a little crazy, like irregulars on the roads, you can feel it. Even more so in S+ mode.
Thanks for your feedback MX73, that's good to know. Comfort is certainly a difficult judgement and as I've found with previous cars it's only after driving 200 or 300 miles that you can really form an opinion. One thing I've found to be a real benefit of electric seats is the ability to regularly tweak the back rest angle on long journeys. Also heated seats are great. Suspension is more difficult. I swapped the wheels on a 2009 Lexus IS250 to a smaller size as the originals had low profile tyres. As well as a more comfortable ride, tyre noise was reduced and, although I wasn't concerned about the appearance of smaller wheels, I did refit the originals when I sold the car.