UX Models (2019-present)

UX 250h Hybrid "AWD" Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 11:21 AM
yumseyo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I bought a 2020 UX250h Luxury package. Only able to get ~37.5 mpg about 50/50 freeway/street driving. I am in "ECO" mode, are any of you getting better mileage in "NORMAL" mode?
Old 09-14-22, 12:34 PM
dubgli
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yumseyo
Well, I bought a 2020 UX250h Luxury package. Only able to get ~37.5 mpg about 50/50 freeway/street driving. I am in "ECO" mode, are any of you getting better mileage in "NORMAL" mode?
Very similar readings I was getting. What i would consider normal regular driving (how i drive any of my other cars), i am getting about 36-38 mpg-USA. If i completely overhaul my driving style, i can get closer to 39-41 mpg-USA.

I've tried all modes for extended road trips. They're all within the ball park. Sport mode around town will have lower mpg as expected, but it's not bad power wise.

I even completed an oil change with Toyota oil, replaced the air filter and the battery filter in the back. My mpg was unchanged leading me to believe none of those items needed to be replaced yet.

I even had my gf test the car who is about half my weight if not less and no significant changes after a 250 mile trip for her alone. Maybe +1 mpg-USA?

I'm somewhat at a lost of how so many people in this forum are getting mid to high 40s mpg-USA and claim they just drive normal. Perhaps somehow they only drive down hill? haha

Went on a 600 mile road trip with some friends last month, mostly highway. The UX250H averaged 39.3 mpg-USA . One of my friends standard Honda CRV did 32.7 mpg-USA on that trip and another friends jetta did 38 mpg-USA on that same trip. That's only a 1-5 mpg difference. It was enough for me to eventually get rid of the UX250H. The luxury was great and it's looks great, but i was looking for a hybrid that set it's fuel economy further apart from non-hybrid gasoline cars without having to completely change my driving habits.

I ended up in a Prius XLE AWD and wow. I drive that car like I stole it and I'm still averaging 51 mpg-USA. If i drive normal i can average 55 mpg-USA.
Not as pretty, not as luxurious, not as exclusive, but man that mpg is great. less trips to the gas station as well and more practical, more boot space.

if i do lexus hybrid again - i am going with the NX350H. More of a real SUV functionality, more space, more power, better tech and the same mpg as the UX250H.
Old 09-15-22, 05:59 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by dubgli
Very similar readings I was getting. What i would consider normal regular driving (how i drive any of my other cars), i am getting about 36-38 mpg-USA. If i completely overhaul my driving style, i can get closer to 39-41 mpg-USA.

I've tried all modes for extended road trips. They're all within the ball park. Sport mode around town will have lower mpg as expected, but it's not bad power wise.

I even completed an oil change with Toyota oil, replaced the air filter and the battery filter in the back. My mpg was unchanged leading me to believe none of those items needed to be replaced yet.

I even had my gf test the car who is about half my weight if not less and no significant changes after a 250 mile trip for her alone. Maybe +1 mpg-USA?

I'm somewhat at a lost of how so many people in this forum are getting mid to high 40s mpg-USA and claim they just drive normal. Perhaps somehow they only drive down hill? haha

Went on a 600 mile road trip with some friends last month, mostly highway. The UX250H averaged 39.3 mpg-USA . One of my friends standard Honda CRV did 32.7 mpg-USA on that trip and another friends jetta did 38 mpg-USA on that same trip. That's only a 1-5 mpg difference. It was enough for me to eventually get rid of the UX250H. The luxury was great and it's looks great, but i was looking for a hybrid that set it's fuel economy further apart from non-hybrid gasoline cars without having to completely change my driving habits.

I ended up in a Prius XLE AWD and wow. I drive that car like I stole it and I'm still averaging 51 mpg-USA. If i drive normal i can average 55 mpg-USA.
Not as pretty, not as luxurious, not as exclusive, but man that mpg is great. less trips to the gas station as well and more practical, more boot space.

if i do lexus hybrid again - i am going with the NX350H. More of a real SUV functionality, more space, more power, better tech and the same mpg as the UX250H.
Understandable, to each their own. The lady has the 2021 300h F Sport, and it has less than the 22/23+ 350H, we wanted the 450H but at the time it wasn't available and she needed a car right then and there (her old '15 IS250 was totaled). Mom also drives a '15 300H and obviously, same MPGs relatively. I heard good things overall about the redesigned NXs as we were eyeballing them for quite some time, but have heard of a few issues here and there. The new infotainment on the 22+ models and 23 model for the UX sure do look nice. I've debated about trading in the car and getting that revamp but won't bring myself to do it.

Old 09-16-22, 06:48 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Look up "Pulse and Glide" driving technique if you haven't yet. The idea is to ride that EV mode as much as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Brainygadgetgirl (07-16-24)
Old 09-18-22, 12:44 PM
brooklynux
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the 2021 f sport hybrid and i live in NY. i have a little over 17k miles. my driving is mostly highway miles traveling to CT. maybe 85-90%. when the mileage was around 5k miles, my mpg was 45-46. as i got to around 10k, my mpg dropped all the way to 40-41. i decided to reset the mpg meter. it gradually increased as the mileage increased. i seem to be capped around 42.4-42.5. i drive in normal mode and when im on the highway with little traffice, i almost always use adaptive cruise control. i dont baby the gas pedal all the time. every now and then, i like to feel the power. hope this helps.
Old 10-06-22, 01:04 PM
yumseyo
Driver

I too am starting to use the adaptive cruise control. It's pretty cool !! Using it in the city streets a little scary (not sure if car would stop, but it does !) I was able to increase my MPG's by 1.0 mpg to about 38.3-38.9 from my 37.5, trying to use the cruise as much as I can. I even tried the EV button a few times and got "low hybrid battery" or going too fast...Thanks for the info and ideas !
Old 10-07-22, 01:51 PM
sfprankstr
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

2021 UX250h base model

I live in the mountains and this is an average mpg for my UX, give or take 1-2 mpg. Nothing special as to driving technique, just normal everyday running around. Some highway, some back roads in the mountains. I'm not a fan of the Adaptive Cruise Control. Living in CA, people drive all crazy and constantly getting cut off makes the Adaptive Cruise Control unfeasible.

Last edited by sfprankstr; 10-07-22 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 06:52 PM
shafermac
6th Gear

Default Pretty decent mpg

Originally Posted by yumseyo
Hi All, I am considering the UX 250h "AWD" luxury or F sport look . I am concerned about fuel economy. What are you "AWD" owners getting? Thanks in advance !!
I've averaged 41.334 through the first 40k miles, calculated. Mix of Highway and city driving, probably 70% highway.
Old 01-30-24, 08:46 AM
viggi1957
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 2019 UX 250H used with 47,000 miles and I'm looking for any and all advice to get the most out of my vehicle. Granted it's the end of January in SE Wisconsin but after the first full week of driving on all roads, (Main streets and highway) I'm getting 31 mpg using 88 oct (15% ethanol). I did notice that after filing up it was nice to see the gas gauge barely move, that is until I went on the highway and had to merge into traffic, then I literally watched the gauge drop off of full and it seems like it's continuing to do so quickly. Maybe this is because of the cold weather (Been in the mid 30s all week/weekend) or maybe because I keep it in Eco mode, Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and if I just have to wait for the warmer weather to get here to enjoy the higher mileage, then so be it.
Old 01-30-24, 08:48 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by viggi1957
I just bought my 2019 UX 250H used with 47,000 miles and I'm looking for any and all advice to get the most out of my vehicle. Granted it's the end of January in SE Wisconsin but after the first full week of driving on all roads, (Main streets and highway) I'm getting 31 mpg using 88 oct (15% ethanol). I did notice that after filing up it was nice to see the gas gauge barely move, that is until I went on the highway and had to merge into traffic, then I literally watched the gauge drop off of full and it seems like it's continuing to do so quickly. Maybe this is because of the cold weather (Been in the mid 30s all week/weekend) or maybe because I keep it in Eco mode, Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and if I just have to wait for the warmer weather to get here to enjoy the higher mileage, then so be it.
im in Chicago. Same boat as you though I bought mine used. My hybrid gets around 30ish winter. And about 40+ in warmer weather.

Old 01-31-24, 10:11 AM
viggi1957
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure affect on mileage?

What is the suggested psi to inflate the tires on a UX 250? I've heard over the years that for maximum fuel economy, it's best to run with your tires inflated at the max PSI.
My current psi is 32-33 and the sidewall of the tires says 51psi but that does seem extremely high and would probably lead to a very hard ride. Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-24, 11:07 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by viggi1957
What is the suggested psi to inflate the tires on a UX 250? I've heard over the years that for maximum fuel economy, it's best to run with your tires inflated at the max PSI.
My current psi is 32-33 and the sidewall of the tires says 51psi but that does seem extremely high and would probably lead to a very hard ride. Any suggestions?
definitely do not inflate them to 51psi that max psi on the tire is what it can handle. Refer to the door jam that displays factory settings which I believe is 32 cold. I personally run a hair higher for better mpg.

in the summer I run 34psi cold

wintertime here in Chicago I run about 36-37 cold.

my tires are Michelin cross climate 2s for reference and I think max psi on tire is also about ~50 something psi.
Old 01-31-24, 01:06 PM
akaDigger
10th Gear

My wife's 2019 UX250h w/32k miles has not had the fuel economy display reset in ages. It is always between 38 and 39 mpg. It does better in the spring and fall in mild weather but the display barely moves. She drives in NORMAL mode and I believe pays no attention to milking mpgs. I wouldn't know for sure as I have never been in the passenger seat while she is driving.
Old 01-31-24, 01:56 PM
Thaiwoo
Rookie

Here in Ontario I get ~44 mpg in the summer (with AC on) and lowest is in Jan-Feb where it goes down to ~33 mpg. I'm sure seat and steering wheel heaters plus remote starting adds to the lower mileage beside the batteries not doing so well when it's very cold.

Ever since I bought the car I've always been in ECO mode. I use the adaptive cruise control whenever I can. Tried the Pulse and Glide but drove me nuts / didn't really do much where I drive to work. So I gave up on it. Happy with my numbers i get.