UX Models (2019-present)

UX 250h Hybrid "AWD" Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 09:04 AM
yumseyo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UX 250h Hybrid "AWD" Fuel Economy

Hi All, I am considering the UX 250h "AWD" luxury or F sport look . I am concerned about fuel economy. What are you "AWD" owners getting? Thanks in advance !!

Last edited by yumseyo; 08-01-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-01-22, 10:23 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 854 Likes on 645 Posts

I look forward to the actual real world results as you do but would mention that the
AWD configuration of the UX (and RXh/NXh/Rav4h/Highlander h) is simply an electric
motor - MGR powering the rear wheels if and when the fronts slip. Unlike a mechanical
AWD as fitted to non hybrids with extra driveshafts and clutches the eAWD is simple
and should not dramatically effect MPG results.
Old 08-01-22, 11:13 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Chicagoan here. 2019 AWD F Sport hybrid.

Warmer client I average 40-45mpg with a moderate foot.

Winter I average about 30-33 mpg.
The following users liked this post:
yumseyo (08-16-22)
Old 08-01-22, 12:44 PM
dubgli
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Chicagoan here. 2019 AWD F Sport hybrid.

Warmer client I average 40-45mpg with a moderate foot.

Winter I average about 30-33 mpg.
wow. those are great numbers. I'm jealous. I've had my 2021 ux250H base for a week or so now and with highway and around town, my average is 38-39 mpg. I drive in ECO mode as well.

How do you get 40-45? Please share. I do notice that driving in town varies. The local towns around here have hills so the roads go up and down, they're not as flat. Maybe that's why my mpg is only 38-39.

Old 08-01-22, 05:52 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by dubgli
wow. those are great numbers. I'm jealous. I've had my 2021 ux250H base for a week or so now and with highway and around town, my average is 38-39 mpg. I drive in ECO mode as well.

How do you get 40-45? Please share. I do notice that driving in town varies. The local towns around here have hills so the roads go up and down, they're not as flat. Maybe that's why my mpg is only 38-39.
For 40-45 honestly I really just ... drive. Normal mode. Not eco, not really sport other than sometimes when going on the highway. Chicago burbs where I am at is relatively flat but with gradual elevation changes depending on destination - can't say it's exactly out of the norm from anywhere else in my opinion. I would say though, the 40-45 is if I'm just absentmindedly cruising without rushing anywhere. Light foot but not hypermiling it by any means.
I do occasionally push the car but nothing extreme either so I can't say my driving habit is out of the norm from any responsible person behind the wheel.

Long answer for a short descript overall.
Old 08-02-22, 04:58 AM
Thaiwoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by tofuprod
For 40-45 honestly I really just ... drive. Normal mode. Not eco, not really sport other than sometimes when going on the highway. Chicago burbs where I am at is relatively flat but with gradual elevation changes depending on destination - can't say it's exactly out of the norm from anywhere else in my opinion. I would say though, the 40-45 is if I'm just absentmindedly cruising without rushing anywhere. Light foot but not hypermiling it by any means.
I do occasionally push the car but nothing extreme either so I can't say my driving habit is out of the norm from any responsible person behind the wheel.

Long answer for a short descript overall.
Pretty much the same for me except I'm in Eco mode. Also try to stay within the Eco range when accelerating.
The following users liked this post:
yumseyo (08-16-22)
Old 08-02-22, 07:17 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 854 Likes on 645 Posts

In IL we are also only able to get E10 blended fuel. Estimates vary but it reduces
the mileage results by at least 5%. I commute almost exactly as tofuprod describes
his style and am getting 50 mpg in the summer with our 2020 ESh (rated at 44 BTW).
Drops to 40 MPG in the winter.

Coast when it is obvious I must stop but very conscious of any traffic behind.
Allow myself to exceed the Power Meter swing into "Power" but rarely past Straight up "12 O'Clock"
ECO Drive Mode, A/C off if it is under 80 degrees ambient. 18" Michelin Energy @ 35 PSI

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-22, 08:38 AM
dubgli
Driver School Candidate

Looking through the fuelly app where people track their fuel economy, it seems that you all are outliers. Fuelly shows the average right around 40mpg for several people so that's good to know that I'm at least average. You all are lucky, you guys have a good outlier car.
Old 08-02-22, 09:28 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcomer
In IL we are also only able to get E10 blended fuel. Estimates vary but it reduces
the mileage results by at least 5%. I commute almost exactly as tofuprod describes
his style and am getting 50 mpg in the summer with our 2020 ESh (rated at 44 BTW).
Drops to 40 MPG in the winter.

Coast when it is obvious I must stop but very conscious of any traffic behind.
Allow myself to exceed the Power Meter swing into "Power" but rarely past Straight up "12 O'Clock"
ECO Drive Mode, A/C off if it is under 80 degrees ambient. 18" Michelin Energy @ 35 PSI
To echo mcomer, my tire pressure is usually about 36-38 hot. Winter is about 38-40 hot.
Old 08-02-22, 11:18 PM
rogerbill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
I look forward to the actual real world results as you do but would mention that the
AWD configuration of the UX (and RXh/NXh/Rav4h/Highlander h) is simply an electric
motor - MGR powering the rear wheels if and when the fronts slip. Unlike a mechanical
AWD as fitted to non hybrids with extra driveshafts and clutches the eAWD is simple
and should not dramatically effect MPG results.
Both FWD and AWD UX250h models are sold in the UK. Here are a few of the key differences (FWD/AWD):

WLTP combined fuel consumption 50.4/47.1 mpg NB UK rather than US gallons
0-62mph 8.5/8.7 seconds
Kerb weight 1620/1680 kg
Luggage capacity to parcel shelf 320/283 litres
Old 08-03-22, 04:06 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

To get the best mileage you have to refine your "pulse and glide" driving style. I keep current gas consumption on the left mini display and watch the tachometer and coax the car into EV mode as much as possible. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes. Also between SPORT and ECO mode, there really is just ~.2 mpg difference when you drive this way. In the Lexus app it shows your "pulse" score. After doing this for some time since we got to Northern Cali, my mileage went from 41.x to 44.x mpg, combined highway and city. I thought it would be worse because of the freeways but it actually improved. Obviously, if you're going up or down a mountain, then your results will vary by quite a bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsmith:
Brainygadgetgirl (07-16-24), yumseyo (08-16-22)
Old 08-04-22, 06:39 AM
dubgli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jsmith
To get the best mileage you have to refine your "pulse and glide" driving style. I keep current gas consumption on the left mini display and watch the tachometer and coax the car into EV mode as much as possible. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes. Also between SPORT and ECO mode, there really is just ~.2 mpg difference when you drive this way. In the Lexus app it shows your "pulse" score. After doing this for some time since we got to Northern Cali, my mileage went from 41.x to 44.x mpg, combined highway and city. I thought it would be worse because of the freeways but it actually improved. Obviously, if you're going up or down a mountain, then your results will vary by quite a bit.
New to lexus and hybrids in general. I've seen several posts in all forums how people are getting way better than EPA rated MPGs and most of the time they always say they just drive normal and they don't "hypermile".
I'm guessing the term "hypermile" is taking extreme actions to get the most optimal fuel economy. For example - merging on the highway at 15 miles per hour / minimal acceleration.
Just comparing members on here against a collective average of drivers on Fuelly Database, the members here are clearly way above average but yet no one is claiming to hypermile? haha.
Is pulse & glide a hypermile technique or is this also considered normal driving haha.

I'm learning here and this MPG game is addicting. I'd like to learn how to optimize MPG without hypermiling.
Old 08-04-22, 09:22 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

New to lexus and hybrids in general. I've seen several posts in all forums how people are getting way better than EPA rated MPGs and most of the time they always say they just drive normal and they don't "hypermile".
I'm guessing the term "hypermile" is taking extreme actions to get the most optimal fuel economy. For example - merging on the highway at 15 miles per hour / minimal acceleration.
Just comparing members on here against a collective average of drivers on Fuelly Database, the members here are clearly way above average but yet no one is claiming to hypermile? haha.
Is pulse & glide a hypermile technique or is this also considered normal driving haha.

I'm learning here and this MPG game is addicting. I'd like to learn how to optimize MPG without hypermiling.
I would say "pulse and glide" is not a hypermile technique by your description. Merging onto a highway hardly affects your mpg. When you're up to speed (highway or otherwise) is when you should apply the technique consistently. It is definitely not normal driving as that will drop your MPG significantly but will still be in the EPA rating.

Old 08-04-22, 09:31 AM
dubgli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jsmith
I would say "pulse and glide" is not a hypermile technique by your description. Merging onto a highway hardly affects your mpg. When you're up to speed (highway or otherwise) is when you should apply the technique consistently. It is definitely not normal driving as that will drop your MPG significantly but will still be in the EPA rating.
Care to share with me some hypermiling techniques then?

I disagree that merging on the freeway doesn't affect mpg. Merging /accelerating has an MPG of about 14 if I read it correctly. Shows right on my dash when accelerating and merging.

Interesting none the less. Several are above EPA mpgs, but no one is hypermiling i guess. If people are getting 45+mpg USA just driving "normal", then I would assume hypermiling would get someone into 50mpg USA.
Old 08-04-22, 11:50 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Care to share with me some hypermiling techniques then?

I disagree that merging on the freeway doesn't affect mpg. Merging /accelerating has an MPG of about 14 if I read it correctly. Shows right on my dash when accelerating and merging.

Interesting none the less. Several are above EPA mpgs, but no one is hypermiling i guess. If people are getting 45+mpg USA just driving "normal", then I would assume hypermiling would get someone into 50mpg USA.
Of course the MPG while you are merging onto a highway has a low MPG, but the overall cumulative will drop .1 mpg, if at all. I've been driving all over NoCal with lots of on-ramps where you have to get up to speed quickly. I'm just sharing what has been working for me. This is not "normal driving" as I use pulse+glide extensively. If you drive as you would a gas-engined car, you would be in the 30's. I have seen this when my wife drives the car. As for hypermiling, yes I have been able to get 50mpg but conditions have to be very favorable.

Quick Reply: UX 250h Hybrid "AWD" Fuel Economy