How To Customize the Speakers In your UX

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-22, 06:09 PM
Skrubway
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How To Customize the Speakers In your UX

Hello All!

I am new around here and only found out about this forum when I was looking for information on how to upgrade the speakers on the UX. I currently have a 2022 F Sport with base audio and coming from a 14 speaker BMW system, I was disappointed. Long story short, I quickly realized that there happens to be little to NO information on how to upgrade the speakers on the UX and popular sites like Crutchfield were no help either as they have not done any research on the UX. This guide only applies to the 6 SPEAKER SYSTEM not the premium audio one.

Going to try and make this post short so here it goes;

For the front 2 dash speakers:
Option 1:
- 3.5 Inch speaker
For this option the job is pretty easy, it is plug and play with most 3.5 inch speakers, although you will need to either make modifications to the tabs where the stock speakers go (Stock bolts will not fit with smaller sized aftermarket speaker holes unless widened). I opted to buy another set of U-nuts from the local hardware store which worked perfectly.

Option 2:
- 4 inch Speaker
For this method it will require much more modification specifically to the drivers side. The passenger side drops in no problem. In order to get the speaker to fit on the DRIVERS side, you will need to cut off 2 of the 4 tabs as well as shave off some of the inner dash areas on certain speakers because the depth clearance is not very much. Keep in mind that the stock speaker hardware will also not work unless the AFTERMARKET speaker mounting holes are widened.
Due to more modification needed, I chose to stick with the 3.5 Inch setup.

In either case, make sure to take off the fabric pillars when uninstalling the covers (they are secured by simple pop clips) because you will damages them if you do not. Be careful because they do have airbags behind them. Here is a a link to a diagram from a NX but the process is the same https://imgur.com/SUYPfwO

Wiring Harness Adapters:

This part took me a lot of hours of research to find the correct speaker harness adapters as I did not want to cut the factory harness. You have a couple of options here

Dash Speakers:
There are two manufacturers that make a harness that will correctly adapt the factory harness of your dash speakers

Metra:
-
The correct harness from Metra is the 72-8110 for a 2019 Toyota Rav4.
- This harness comes with very long wires so these will need to be tucked into the dash as not to interfere with the speakers.
- These run for $14.99 on Crutch Field
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120728...mnews=16712694
Red Dragon:
-
I also bought this set from amazon to test as well, they work just as well as the Metra but the connections are a bit weak and the wires are very short.
- Retail is $14.99
-
Amazon Amazon

Door Speakers:
Moving onto the door speakers, things do get a bit more complicated. For this step you will need to find a shop that is able to cut custom brackets for you because there are none on the market currently. Lucky for me a fellow very nice forum member reached out to me and I was able to get some secured so props to him. I would link his UN below but not sure if he wanted to be identified so I will keep him anon.

Metra:
For the door speakers you are able to use the Metra 72-8019 speaker harness adapter as they fit perfectly with the stock harness
- https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VTrydF...MaAtQhEALw_wcB

And thats it! After you have done all this you can enjoy your upgraded speakers. Although to get the most potential, adding an amp is best but for me I just wanted some extra volume and clarity and I have achieved this even if my speakers are being underpowered.

Thanks!

Update*

for anyone wondering, I have found a set of speaker adapters for the front and rear that will fit.

Fronts: https://soundsgoodstereo.com/product...range-adapters
There fit exactly as they should, no modification needed.

Rears:
Amazon Amazon
keep in mind for the rears you will have to modify this bracket a tiny bit at the mounting holes. Just need to widen the holes a tiny bit and it fits perfectly.

Last edited by Skrubway; 02-07-23 at 02:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skrubway:
BCGelandewagen (12-21-23), shuffma2 (08-25-23), sixbanger (08-26-23)
Old 10-01-22, 08:33 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Great info. Yeah, I wouldn't be hard pressed to come from something like HK in BMW to something in a base stereo in the UX without the ML system.

With that said, the info you provided is helpful since also agreed, Crutchfield is dog***** with information on these cars (TireRack too).

That said, I doubt I would upgrade my speakers since I actually never have any music playing but I'm sure others will benefit from this, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-07-23, 12:55 PM
UXFL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a new 2023 UX250h owner who is very interested in upgrading the six speakers and can find no information anywhere on size or even location. I was told there is a speaker in the center of the dash by the dealer but I highly doubt a six speaker system would have anything like that. I would love to know the location and size if anyone finds out so I can swap mine out for aftermarket. It is the second thing I do with my new vehicles her in FL, right after the custom tint.
Old 02-07-23, 02:33 PM
Skrubway
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UXFL
I am a new 2023 UX250h owner who is very interested in upgrading the six speakers and can find no information anywhere on size or even location. I was told there is a speaker in the center of the dash by the dealer but I highly doubt a six speaker system would have anything like that. I would love to know the location and size if anyone finds out so I can swap mine out for aftermarket. It is the second thing I do with my new vehicles her in FL, right after the custom tint.
Hey There!

I know in the 2023 they mention a 10 speaker audio system so not sure about that one, as for the 6 speaker setup, there are 3 dash speakers, driver, center channel, passenger. 6 Channel system only has the driver and passenger, no center. all 3 are ~3.5 in midrange woofers.

the 4 door speakers are located at the bottoms of the doors. They are technically 8in woofers which is why they produce a good amount of bass. I replaced mine with 6.5 in speakers but you will lose basically all the bass if you do this. I am adding an aftermarket sub to compensate for this.

depending on what you are trying to do, I recommend just replacing the dash speakers, it makes the vocals come alive. Something like this would be perfect
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4DhcFN...hoCJNsQAvD_BwE

Be aware that these do not fit perfectly and you will need to do a little bit of modification/problem solving to get them to fit properly. I had these in mine and it def made the car sound better although it will overpower the door speakers in terms of vocal clarity.

see my update for mention of correct brackets and such on the original post

Last edited by Skrubway; 02-07-23 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BCGelandewagen (12-21-23)
Old 02-07-23, 06:13 PM
UXFL
Rookie

Wow. Really appreciate the information. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

UPDATE: The Metra harness does not fit the 2023 so had to splice into it. Plugs are different. As long as I was changing the dash 3 1/2 dash speakers I used my favorite speakers, JL Audio CX2 Evolutions https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C23...o-C2-350x.html. Had the Kicker upgrade in my Subaru and replaced them all with JL Audios. Not a perfect fit but not a difficult one. The upgrade in sound is excellent and worth the cost. My installer advised to not even touch the others because they produce such great bass levels. Very happy with the results. Entire installation took less than an hour.

Last edited by UXFL; 02-12-23 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-17-23, 05:32 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Last edited by LexMan2003; 08-17-23 at 05:38 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 08-22-23, 12:17 PM
shuffma2
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2021 Lexus UX 250h so I have been trying to figure out what I need to upgrade my system. I thought I'd add a little to this thread in case others are looking for info. The original post has a lot of good info about the parts needed.

I have the base six speaker system, and I went to a car audio shop yesterday and they confirmed I do not have a factory amp. They told me this is actually a better situation because replacing the speakers with aftermarket speakers is an option. I've ordered some 3.5 inch speakers for the dash and 6.5 inch woofers for the doors. I'm still waiting on everything to show up, but I'll update the results once I get everything installed.

I'm having a powered sub installed next week that will go in the cargo area, but I've asked them to make it easy to unhook and remove in case I need to haul something. It's a Rockford Fosgate P300-10 and parts and labor will be around $700. I'm tackling the speaker installation myself. While I have the door panels off, I'll probably try adding some sound deadening materials to the doors.

In addition to the custom mounting brackets for the front speakers that the original post linked to, I also found these (which are cheaper=$26) that look the same to fit 6.5 inch speakers in the front door. http://car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK132 I bought the mounting brackets from Amazon that were for the rear speakers linked in the original post.

I'll come back after everything is installed and give more details of what I'm installing and what the results are.
The following users liked this post:
UXFL (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 12:35 PM
UXFL
Rookie

Thanks. Please keep us updated. I replaced the 3.5 inch speakers and it was a great improvement. I'd like to replace the 6.5 in the doors also. Are you doing woofer only, or coaxial two ways? Which brand did you choose and how do you know the fitment? Enquiring minds want to know :-)
Old 07-03-24, 06:35 PM
iveykun
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has added the missing speakers? The 6-speaker system still has grills in the center and in the trunk for an extra tweeter/subwoofer respectively, wondering if those are worth adding?

And for those of you who replaced the front 2 dash speakers, what did you end up going with? I am thinking about replacing them with Pyle PLG3.2 3.5-Inch. My main issue is that the bass is good but overshadowing the mids and treble.

Thanks!