UX Models (2019-present)

CV Transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-22, 06:05 PM
Naidni45
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink CV Transmission woes

Other brands have horror stories about constant velocity transmissions.
I'm waiting for delivery of a 2023 UX. I reviewed the maintenance schedule and there is no mention of changing the transmission fluid prior past the120,000km mark.
Have you folks had any troubles with the Lexus eCV Transmission??

T.I.A. Brent
Old 10-23-22, 11:00 PM
rogerbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CVTs are not all the same

DAF launched the first CVT, Variomatic, in the late 1950s consisting of two pulleys of variable diameter connected by a belt. To give the lowest ratio the engine pulley is at its smallest diameter and the pulley driving the wheels at its largest. As speed increases the engine pulley gets bigger and the drive pulley smaller, increasing the ratio so the car speeds-up. It automatically adjusts for hills and harder acceleration. Similar systems have been used by Audi, Ford and Fiat.

The Toyota/Lexus hybrid CVT is nothing like belt CVTs. It consists of two electric motor-generators (MG1 and MG2) connected to a planetary gearbox. The compact package consists of only a few components. MG1 can start the engine and act as a generator to charge the hybrid battery. MG2 can act as a drive motor on its own or with the engine and also a generator for regenerative braking. The system allows electric-only drive by decoupling the engine without the need for a clutch.

While traditional and dual-clutch automatics are more popular, CVTs are particularly smooth around town. CVTs are generally extremely dependable and return impressive fuel economy. They provide instant power when you wish to pull away, although not everyone likes the noise they make under heavy acceleration.

Lexus and Toyota regularly top car manufacturer reliability tables.

There are a few videos on YouTube explaining the Toyota/Lexux CVT system, eg

Hope this helps answer your concerns.
Old 10-24-22, 09:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Yep. Tired of people improperly conflating CVTs with Toyota's hybrid "eCVT" but I blame that on Toyota marketing. The two are nothing alike. the "eCVT" or more properly, the Transaxle, is a non-issue in Toyota hybrids. Think of it more like a differential box. Put simply, Toyota hybrids are actually the simpler, most reliable, longest lasting, and cheapest to maintain version of ICE powertrains this world will ever see, especially now that we are transitioning to ICE.
Old 11-29-22, 07:32 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a guy on youtube a Lexus tech that shows you how to change tranny fluid. It's easy, going to do it at around 70 k km for me.

https://www.youtube.com/@Viktor_G/videos

Old 11-29-22, 07:36 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts