UX Models (2019-present)

Speaker Placement - 2023 UX

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 07:18 AM
ux250hjtd
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker Placement - 2023 UX

Sat in an F Sport model at the auto show yesterday, and I'm damned if I can tell where they are putting 4 more speakers. The trim level of the one on display likely was not so equipped anyway, but does anyone know where the 10 speakers are located in the models so equipped, and can anyone comment on the sound quality? I know it isn't a Mark Levinson level system even with 10 speakers but I am curious. My 2019 model had the 6 speaker setup and it was just OK to my ears.
Old 04-07-23, 07:02 AM
ux250hjtd
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound Quality - 10 Speaker Sound System

Originally Posted by ux250hjtd
Sat in an F Sport model at the auto show yesterday, and I'm damned if I can tell where they are putting 4 more speakers. The trim level of the one on display likely was not so equipped anyway, but does anyone know where the 10 speakers are located in the models so equipped, and can anyone comment on the sound quality? I know it isn't a Mark Levinson level system even with 10 speakers but I am curious. My 2019 model had the 6 speaker setup and it was just OK to my ears.
Replying to my own post to give it a bump. Anyone have a chance to sample the sound quality in the models equipped with 10 speakers? Any pics or diagrams out there regarding where the 4 additional speakers are located? The only places I can think of would be a center speaker on the dash, perhaps a sub woofer under a seat someplace, so that's 2 more speakers - but in pictures I have seen, I can't see any sign of 2 more speakers being added anywhere to bring the total up to 10.
Old 04-07-23, 09:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Newest diagram available is for a 2022

Speaker Placement - 2023 UX-jhdjcth.png
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
ux250hjtd (04-14-23), UXFL (04-07-23)
Old 05-10-23, 08:02 PM
deftmaus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that the UX had a maximum of 8 speakers (center + trunk sub) over the regular 6-speaker setup in 2020. It’s great to know they managed to put in 2 more in there somehow.

I have a 2020 UX250h and I hate the 3.5" dash speakers for rock music. Additional soeakers wouldn't fix my issue so I'm getting them replaced soon.

Last edited by deftmaus; 05-11-23 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-11-23, 06:54 AM
UXFL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put these JL Audios in my 2023 and they are perfect: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C23...50x.html?tp=96
Old 05-11-23, 07:21 AM
deftmaus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UXFL
I put these JL Audios in my 2023 and they are perfect: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C23...50x.html?tp=96
Did you do the replacement yourself or had a shop do it?
Old 05-11-23, 06:18 PM
UXFL
Rookie

I have a mobile tech installer I have used for years. I trust him and he is reasonable. This is the third vehicle of mine he has done all the upgrades for. I asked him about upgrading with adding an amp. His concerns: I do not think enough information is available on your vehicle to make an educated decision. The issue is due to how exactly the factory radio is designed along with your 6 speaker system. We know that the audio signal is crossed over to feed the door woofers and dash mids separate signals. But exactly where does this cross over take place. Since adding an amp you would need to tap into said signal. Usually the signal is pure coming out of the radio and into the factory amp. Then it is divided up into each individual speaker. However I have also seen it done where both the radio and factory amp cross over the signals. Aside from the cross over situation you are also dealing with not having enough channel outputs on that Kenwood. You would need a 6 channel amplifier to power all of your speakers. Of course along with a 6 channel amp comes the size difference, so that would also play a factor in terms of placement. I highly doubt you would be able to find one to hide underneath a seat.

If you even wanted to think about adding an amp for your speakers, you would need detailed information regarding the factory amp and radio. So an in depth wiring diagram is a must. You would need to get a hold of the electrical service book for the car. Without it you would basically be guessing at what all the wires are doing. So all in all while I am not saying it is impossible. It would take some effort for sure. You could also go with a line output summing module but the installation is intense. It doesn't help that it isn't a very common vehicle so in turn that leads to less people willing to modify it.
Old 05-11-23, 06:23 PM
deftmaus
Driver School Candidate

These are the same ones I plan to get tomorrow! Do you know if they were a simple drop-in replacement or did the tech have to dremel the mounting tabs to make it fit?
Old 05-11-23, 06:25 PM
deftmaus
Driver School Candidate

Default JBL BassPro Nano

I’m also planning on mounting one or two of these in the trunk behind the wheel arches. Two Nano’s are still cheaper than the factory sub so…
Old 05-11-23, 06:59 PM
UXFL
Rookie

It wasn't a perfect, drop-in fit, but it also wasn't a difficult one. Took him about an hour for the whole install. Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Soundstage is much brighter and clearer. The vocal mids are the best improvement.
Old 05-12-23, 01:29 PM
deftmaus
Driver School Candidate

It wasn't a perfect, drop-in fit, but it also wasn't a difficult one. Took him about an hour for the whole install. Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Soundstage is much brighter and clearer. The vocal mids are the best improvement.
I just had my shop order these today so hopefully I can get them installed next week.

Did your installer need to modify the dash speaker grilles to make the JL's fit?
Old 05-12-23, 02:04 PM
UXFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by deftmaus

Did your installer need to modify the dash speaker grilles to make the JL's fit?
No, not at all.
Old 05-12-23, 02:33 PM
deftmaus
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! Thanks for confirming!
Old 06-13-23, 06:15 AM
deftmaus
Driver School Candidate

I’ve been loving the C2-350x speakers! The vocals are much better with the silk dome tweeters.

Have you looked into upgrading the rear door speakers as well? I’m curious if they are 6.5” sizes so I can get the C2-650x to match the dash.
Old 06-13-23, 06:25 AM
UXFL
Rookie

Glad you are enjoying them. They are a huge upgrade. I am having trouble finding installers willing to change out the door speakers. True also of adding an amp. They say there are too many unknowns with channels and crossovers. So for now I am going to stick with what I have, since I am especially pleased with the bass they produce. I had the C2 line in my last car all around and they were incredible, but I also has a powered rear sub and an external Alpine amp. Would love to hear from people who have the 10 speaker system in their UX 250h. How is it?

Quick Reply: Speaker Placement - 2023 UX